• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

2405FPW or 19" <=8ms screen?

Venthos

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 24, 2004
Messages
120
What would be the better monitor for use with gaming. Under the assumption that money is not the main concern in this decision, but quality of picture/lack of ghosting and other anomalies while gaming is.

Dell's 24" 2405FPW monitor, or one of the low-response time 19" monitors such as the Viewsonic VX922 and so forth (On that note, any recommendations on the 19" homefront?).

I think i'm finally ready to delve into my first LCD monitor. However I want to make sure I get one of the best, if not the best, in order to give them a fair chance. The primary concern is simply lack of monitor-related anomalies and at least a standard 19". I am willing to spring for a 2405FPW, however the response time is what I wonder about with that monitor.

-Venthos
 
2405 for sure.

Your gaming, you not watching 1080i DVDs or HD, so an extra 5 inches means alot IMO

I am bias, but I have had a few LCDs in my time, and the 2405 is one of the best, and IS the best, due to its size. Its been ranked very high, and I think it just adds to the enjoyment of gaming.
 
I'm sure the size is going to be sexy. But excessive ghosting will bother me if that occurs. What is the rated response time for the 2405FPW? Anyone here who games heavily and by chance used the 2405FPW and one of the popular 19" LCDs who can compare them for games, soley on ghosting/monitor anomalies?
 
If you are useing a crt and are a GOOD twtich gamer you will not like either. As a former 2405 owner let me say dont get it off ebay or craigslist unless your SURE you can return it. I say go for a fw900. After all... why the hell should you buy a monitor to fit your desk?
 
I recently sold my 2405 and 2 2005's for 3 vx924s. I am home now and they are waiting for me back at my apartment at school. I will be heading back there tomorrow and if I can remember to find this post I'll let you know what I think.
 
wondermoose said:
I recently sold my 2405 and 2 2005's for 3 vx924s. I am home now and they are waiting for me back at my apartment at school. I will be heading back there tomorrow and if I can remember to find this post I'll let you know what I think.

Why? :confused: :confused: :confused:
 
We have been playing games a lot more lately and I wanted a more portable screen. And I just got an xbox so I used the money from selling those monitors to buy 3 of those viewsonics and a 32 inch sony hd lcd from a fatwallet deal at Sams.
 
Any determinations wondermoose? You get to test out your new displays? =)

I'm pretty much debating between investing in some 19-20" 8ms or lower LCD monitor, or the Dell 2405FPW.

My main concerns with the 2405FPW are

1.) Lack of HD capability -- will this hurt me in the longer run for Vista? What exactly is HD required for in Vista, just watching HD videos in Vista? Or do core OS features rely on this? I will probably not buy another monitor for 3-4+ years. However I will be unwilling to spend beyond $1000 at maximum for a large, high quality monitor that games extremely well.

2.) Ghosting -- i'm not 100% sure on the response time of the dell, can this compete as a "Gaming" display?

3.) In order to make use of the display I will have to be able to run games smoothly in 1600x1200 at a minimum (if they dont support the native widescreen). While my machine now should handle it (7800 GTX KO, X2 4800+, 2GB RAM) I wonder if it'll cause me to struggle and have to clock down a lot of settings in the future in my games.

Any opinions? I kinda *want* the big ol' 24" beast of love. But I don't want to get snuffed with a monitor that doesn't game well.
 
I'm a pretty serious gamer I guess, not totally extreme though haha. We are playing right now and a friend is using one of the viewsonics as well. I am really pleased with it, but right next to me is a 2405fpw, and I must say the real estate is nice. I really dont think you would be dissapointed at all with it. Big = NICE. I'll probably get the 20 inch widescreen viewsonic when they release it soon. I dont think I can notice any ghosting, but I run 6600gts in SLI and the 2 ppl here with 2405s run 7800gtxoc's haha so its tough to really tell if the differences are because of the monitor or the video card. Really though the differences are minimal if even existent and I would really recommend the 2405.
 
Having used a variety of displays though, which do you think exhibits the least amount of ghosting or monitor-related anomalies? Size is nice, but if it's at the cost of incosistencies in the monitor and ghosting/etc, then it's kinda pointless to me. (I'm just trying to be really... really sure before I drop a grand on a monitor. If it turns out I don't like it.. then.. er... yea)

Additionally. My CRT is usually on for the majority of the day, if not 24/7. Would that be harmful to an LCD? Will I "burn" an image into the LCD by doing that? Drastically shorten the lifespan? etc.?

Seems like you've used some of the "top contenders" for LCD monitors, so i'm interested to hear how each compare to each other.
 
Venthos said:
Any determinations wondermoose? You get to test out your new displays? =)

I'm pretty much debating between investing in some 19-20" 8ms or lower LCD monitor, or the Dell 2405FPW.

My main concerns with the 2405FPW are

1.) Lack of HD capability -- will this hurt me in the longer run for Vista? What exactly is HD required for in Vista, just watching HD videos in Vista? Or do core OS features rely on this? I will probably not buy another monitor for 3-4+ years. However I will be unwilling to spend beyond $1000 at maximum for a large, high quality monitor that games extremely well.

2.) Ghosting -- i'm not 100% sure on the response time of the dell, can this compete as a "Gaming" display?

3.) In order to make use of the display I will have to be able to run games smoothly in 1600x1200 at a minimum (if they dont support the native widescreen). While my machine now should handle it (7800 GTX KO, X2 4800+, 2GB RAM) I wonder if it'll cause me to struggle and have to clock down a lot of settings in the future in my games.

Any opinions? I kinda *want* the big ol' 24" beast of love. But I don't want to get snuffed with a monitor that doesn't game well.

1.)I don't think Microsoft will make there new OS HD only, maybe you just won't be able to use the high end features which require an HD display to work.

2.)The 2405FPW does not have an problem with ghosting (16ms is ok), alot of gamers have these.

3.)With that system your PC should handle games @ the monitors Native Resolution. But if you have any problems go here, http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/ .

I am going to get one of these sometime soon when the prices go down because of the 30'' coming out. I am just hoping my sig PC can handle it with atleast high settings , 2xAA 4xAF in games.
 
When is the 30" coming out? And will it drop the price below the already "20% off" that Dell is doing innately for their LCDs at the moment?
 
Apperently there is meant to be an 2405FPW coming out with HDMC (or what ever its called) support with an different name.

But I dont know exactly just quickly read on another forum site.
 
cant speak for the viewsonic but I've never in my life seen ghosting on my 2405 so I would assume its not an issue. Been playing fear, HL2, and WoW for the most part right now and all look SWEET. Might as well just go with the dell cause if you end up not liking it for some reason they'll pay to ship it back with no hassle, though make sure you do it within the 21 or so days they give you cause its a nightmare afterwards.

Also I had a TON of concerns when buying my dell(mostly from reading these forums) ranging from response time all the way to backlight issues but once I got it...well....it was perfect.
 
Venthos said:
What would be the better monitor for use with gaming. Under the assumption that money is not the main concern in this decision, but quality of picture/lack of ghosting and other anomalies while gaming is.

Dell's 24" 2405FPW monitor, or one of the low-response time 19" monitors such as the Viewsonic VX922 and so forth (On that note, any recommendations on the 19" homefront?).

I think i'm finally ready to delve into my first LCD monitor. However I want to make sure I get one of the best, if not the best, in order to give them a fair chance. The primary concern is simply lack of monitor-related anomalies and at least a standard 19". I am willing to spring for a 2405FPW, however the response time is what I wonder about with that monitor.

-Venthos

Get the Dell, you won;t be sorry. I use mine for games, TV and DVD video You can find the specs here

2405 Specs

In short

"The 2405FPW wide aspect Flat Panel LCD also provides 12 ms response time to enable crisp clear images when using the display for fast motion video such as gaming or video editing"
 
Will the lack of HD capability bite me in the butt later with Vista or something else?

I am willing to wait a bit if there's something better on the horizon. But if not, tough to pass up the 20% off on the 2405FPW
 
I vote to wait for the 2407FPW. Supposedly it's fully HDCP compliant and capable of 1080i over component inputs.
 
if money isn't an issue than you COULD get 3 20" low response monitors - 4800x1200, 8ms response time, .24 dot pitch or something in that area

im not sure how that res will go with your graphics card but damn, it's like surround video:p, t'would be sweet - or you could just get the gateway widescreen, 8ms response time as well

but there's nothing wrong with the dells, I really like my 20" wide

ah hell if money doesn't matter you could get the 30" dell instead of the 24"
 
Venthos said:
Will the lack of HD capability bite me in the butt later with Vista or something else?

I am willing to wait a bit if there's something better on the horizon. But if not, tough to pass up the 20% off on the 2405FPW

You have your terms confused. High Definition or HD is a broadcast television term. It means that the monitor is capable of displaying at least 720 lines of resolution. The 2405 can display high definition content, as can most 17" and above monitors that have 1280x1024 resolution or higher.

What you are thinking of is HDCP, which is nothing more than a copy protection scheme for HD broadcasts and recordings. You can do a search for it, but the gist is that unless the component providing the signal and the display receiving the signal both have to comply with hdcp to display HD content (it would be displayed at standard definition). Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Get the monitor you want now, and if you don't want to buy a new one in the future don't upgrade to vista. Displaying copy protected content on a pc with vista will require a new video card as well probably. I don't see what the big deal with vista is... if you can't afford to get a HDCP compliant when vista rolls out,... don't upgrade until you can, or don't plan on watching copy protected HD content on your computer.

Buy your computer now, use it now, enjoy it now. Vista is a ways off, and xp still has alot of life left in it, so I wouldn't worry about it now.
 
FWIW, I DO see ghosting on the 2405. It's not bad, mind you, but it's there. And because it's so big, the ghosting is more distracting than it would be on a smaller monitor.

Some people say they see no ghosting at all; I don't know if I'm just sensitive or some people are so used to ghosting it no longer registers for them.

At the moment, I'm happy with a HP f2105. Very little ghosting. Less blindingly bright. Better color uniformity across the screen. Downsides: stupid speakers, $$$ compared to the 2405, and 3" swaller. Maybe HP will come out with a f2305 w/ detachable speakers.
 
Yea I have a problem with constantly changing electronics. Monitors, tvs, components, speakers, mp3 players, etc. I just like new scenery. You wont be sorry with the 2405, and I personally dont see any ghosting and what not. But like mentioned above, I am waiting on the 20 inch widescreen viewsonic for the next add on. It looks nice.
 
Any estimations for the MSRP of the 2407? If the 2407 is going to run similarly to the 2405 in price, I'll definitely wait for that.

But if the 2405 is going for $879 with the 20% off deal now and the 2407 is going to come in at say... $1,200 -- then I don't think it makes a lot of sense to make the jump to the 2407 for several hundred dollars just for HDCP. Though a quick google shows rumors of a faster response time panel with the 2407.

wondermoose: What's the main differences between the Dell 20" widescreen and the upcoming viewsonic one?
 
Im not totally sure. The viewsonic boasts a respectable response time and I just really like to match my stuff so I think it will look nice. Cnet.com is good place to watch quick little video reviews of monitors and cool stuff. You should check that out.
 
Why be so rigid? I think you'd be better off with an Fw900.

Two facts:
1. 2405FPW blurs a bit. Fine Detail does. Doesn't matter if [H]'ers named x, y, and z post that it doesn't... it does.

2. 19" is small. Seems to be missing the primary motivation to "upgrade" in the first place.

I'd go so far as to say pretty much any LCD is going to blur a little. If you are picky about it, you may find none will suit you. Viewsonic VP191b might get you by even if you are sensitive. #1 is definitely a problem with anything big right now, and even more obiously... small is small.

Take it from another guy who got the renowned 2405FPW as his FIRST lcd, and sold it. It just irks me this section will defend LCDs to a fault. It's possible to prefer one but gaming compared to a high end CRT like an Fw900 is an uphill battle. I can't truly believe all the so called "never go back to CRTers", if they would just let go of there prejiduice, would keep a motion blurred, resolution limited, milky blacks, input lagging display over an Fw900. I apologize to the guys where better geometry, power savings, and/or space could outweigh these things, but the rest just want to justify their display.
 
I would get a FW900 but the thought of having a cinder block as a monitor just isn't appealing. My current 19" CRT is heavy enough as is. As I may start doing LANs again soon I need something a little more mobile. The FW900 is far from mobile and would probably snap most fold-out LAN tables with no mercy. LCD's fit my desire to be more mobile, but there's only a certain amount i'm willing to compromise. So i'm just trying to investigate a lot to see what's good. One of the things i'm worrying about now is if i'll be able to run most games at 1600x1200 (or the native resolution of the 2405/2407) at a decent enough speed now and in the future.

I guess i'll wait for the 2407 which supposedly has a better response time and see what things look like then.

Athlon X2 4800+
2GB 3200C2PT Corsair RAM
eVGA GeForce 7800 GTX KO

That's my core statistics.
 
I have a GTX as well. It's definitely tough in the latest games. I'm thinking of a used one for SLI. I do still like to have 1920*1200 when I can.

Well if you need one for a lan, an lcd is the one for you. I'd decide on the resolution / graphics card scenario. Do you really want to bring a 2407 to a LAN, and do you want to keep up with it in gpus?

Anyways, hope you still found some negativity helpful. Blur wasn't much of a topic when I bought mine. Better to be ready. See, I wasn't. It's not god awful, but for me it's noticable. Of course, I wanted a stationary monitor. I'm sure you'll be happy with the right expectations.
 
A 2nd GTX KO and a 2407.. whew... talk about pricey when i've already dropped $1,300 into my upgrades already.

Which again barks the question I had in another thread about SLI'ing GTX KO's or waiting for the next "big thing". Seeing that a 2407 won't be an option untl probably early/mid February... any cards (nVidia only) on the horizon? Would 1x 512MB card provide better 1600x1200 performance (and 1920x1200) than two 256MBs?
 
Venthos said:
Any estimations for the MSRP of the 2407? If the 2407 is going to run similarly to the 2405 in price, I'll definitely wait for that.

But if the 2405 is going for $879 with the 20% off deal now and the 2407 is going to come in at say... $1,200 -- then I don't think it makes a lot of sense to make the jump to the 2407 for several hundred dollars just for HDCP. Though a quick google shows rumors of a faster response time panel with the 2407.

wondermoose: What's the main differences between the Dell 20" widescreen and the upcoming viewsonic one?

well it is coming in to replace the old model, so it should cost the same - but if you dont remember just how much the old ones came down in price (a few hundred), then expect this to do the same...but you can't really tell considering Dell's choice of business action
 
The 244T is probably ~$300-$400 more expensive than what the 2407FPW will be (which as of now, is what I think i'm planning on buying). I assume the 2407FPW will give Dell the little boost to bring it up to speed or better than the 244T.
 
Back
Top