• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2405fpw on medicore PC.

felony

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
82
hey guys, i may be able to get a 2405 for a decent price, around 750. I was originally looking at at syntax olevia 27" for use as a monitor/xbox tv/digital tv and eventually hdtv.

Since i can get the 2405 i am interested in that again. again for monitor/xbox360 tv/digital tv and eventually hdtv.

my current rig is

athlon xp @ 2.2ghz
6600gt
1 gig ram.

I am currently running a 19" samsung syncmaster and i have ran most of my games at 1600x1200 and they run decent besides flickering due to poopy refresh rates.

should i try the 2405, or go with the olevia?? I dont really plan on upgrading computer until next summer cause i am sick of mine being outdated once my order from newegg arrives, so i am gonna stick with the 360 for some time

dan
 
felony said:
hey guys, i may be able to get a 2405 for a decent price, around 750. I was originally looking at at syntax olevia 27" for use as a monitor/xbox tv/digital tv and eventually hdtv.

Since i can get the 2405 i am interested in that again. again for monitor/xbox360 tv/digital tv and eventually hdtv.

my current rig is

athlon xp @ 2.2ghz
6600gt
1 gig ram.

I am currently running a 19" samsung syncmaster and i have ran most of my games at 1600x1200 and they run decent besides flickering due to poopy refresh rates.

should i try the 2405, or go with the olevia?? I dont really plan on upgrading computer until next summer cause i am sick of mine being outdated once my order from newegg arrives, so i am gonna stick with the 360 for some time

dan

Your machine will have real tough time churning playable framerates at 1920x1200 unless you really crank down the options, and it will only get worse as the games get fancier down the road, so if your not keen on keep your machine up to spec to feed the 2405, go with the Samsung.
 
I say that it's up to you. One is bigger, one is smaller, one has better DPI than the other.

Do you want size or what?
As for 2405 on your system, it should be more than fine. 1920x1200 is fantastic for desktop work, and for gaming simply play at a lower resolution (for now) until you get better hardware.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
I say that it's up to you. One is bigger, one is smaller, one has better DPI than the other.

Do you want size or what?
As for 2405 on your system, it should be more than fine. 1920x1200 is fantastic for desktop work, and for gaming simply play at a lower resolution (for now) until you get better hardware.


However, your trade off will be either a strech uneven image thats blurrier *due to LCD interpollation* and more blurring as a result.
 
IceWind said:
However, your trade off will be either a strech uneven image thats blurrier *due to LCD interpollation* and more blurring as a result.

It's not terrible. I simply go to widescreengaming forum and figure out ways to play widescreen resolutions at something other than the native resolution for graphics intensive items.

Living with black bars isn't terrible, but I would never stretch 4:3 content to 16:10 to simply fill the screen. Going at 1280x768 or someother WS resolution is more than acceptable. And if I have to fall back on 4:3 for older games with no known hacks that is acceptable as well.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
It's not terrible. I simply go to widescreengaming forum and figure out ways to play widescreen resolutions at something other than the native resolution for graphics intensive items.

Living with black bars isn't terrible, but I would never stretch 4:3 content to 16:10 to simply fill the screen. Going at 1280x768 or someother WS resolution is more than acceptable. And if I have to fall back on 4:3 for older games with no known hacks that is acceptable as well.

For me, thats unacceptable, but if you can live with it, by all means. To each his own.
 
It's doable. There's no rule that says you have to play all games at native resolution, even with scaling (I've been playing CS 4:3 at 640x480 because of card in sig on a 2405) it still looks good and I'd hazard a guess that 95% of people couldn't tell the difference between 1920x1200 and 1680x1050 in games.

Even with scaling it still beats the snot out of my old 19" Samsung Syncmaster CRT as far as clarity and colors are concerned.
 
such tough decisions. thanks for the replys.

dropping the resolution for in games isnt a big deal, or at least was not when i had a sager 5600 laptop and plkayed on there. it was native of 1600x1200 and i played games often at 1024x768 and it was fine.

im off to the store to check out the olevia tvs and see if i can get a desktop/computer hookup at the store and see what it is like

dan
 
Personally I would get the 24 inch dell, just would seem better on the eyes rather than on a 27" lcd with a freaking pixel the size of a button!

Chilly
 
Your situation sounds quite similar to mine actually :) I am happy gaming at native when I can but perfectly content gaming at a lower res when necessary. Newer games seem to scale very well (Q4, etc); CS scales like shit on it though so I have to play at native
 
well i went out to compusa today to check out the viewsonic and olevias that are 27". they are big!!!!

I could not get the guys to budge about putting a computer up to them so i could check it out, but I believe it would be pretty hard on the eyes, though i have heard different. for my use, it may be tooo big though.

So i am leaning towards monitors with TV capabilities ie dell 24" and gateway 21".

Are there any nice LCD TVs that are around 23"/24" in my price range(sharp, olevia, viewsonic, sony), besides dell/gateway? im gonna go looking now :D

thanks in advance
dan
 
Back
Top