2405fpw: Movies look terrible and grainy.

bandit390

[H]ard|Gawd
When I play movies on my 2005 the picture looks real grainy and just terrible. Im playing full size dvd. I have tried different players. What else is there? Or is this just how it is?

Stretch a 640x480 or 720x480 movie to 1680x1050 and it will appear grainy, yes.
If you're using the screen as a PC monitor and it's sitting 1 foot in front of you, you will notice it like there's no tomorrow. Use it as a TV (i.e. 12 feet back) and it looks normal.

All you are doing is exposing the grain in the film, because each pixel is stretched in the source (720 - 1680 pixels = stretching). Just imagine the poor people who want to watch DVDs on their 2405's @ 1900x1200 lol.

You'll have to wait for the next round of HD DVD sources or start downloading HD content from your local cable provider or friendly internet site in order to make video sources look good - DVD just isn't good enough anymore, unless you're watching it on a regular TV :)

steviep said:
Just imagine the poor people who want to watch DVDs on their 2405's @ 1900x1200 lol.

He is one of these people.. as am I. Read his post. :)

I noticed my TV shows (yes I download HDTV TV shows) are more grainy, than with my old 2005FPW at the lower res. Its not a huge difference, but its noticable.

Yeah DVDs just don't cut it any more do they? :p

Those WMVHD documentaries in 1080p look gorgeous though. To bad everything doesn't come in that format (minus the DRM anyway).

someone posted this link on another 2405 thread a while back: http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1

it makes a big difference i think. you should definitely sit further back while watching a movie. even sitting 7-8 ft away and watching a dvd with power dvd (i.e. not this better method in the link) it still looks pretty darn good to me.

rectifyer said:
someone posted this link on another 2405 thread a while back: http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1

it makes a big difference i think. you should definitely sit further back while watching a movie. even sitting 7-8 ft away and watching a dvd with power dvd (i.e. not this better method in the link) it still looks pretty darn good to me.
looks very interesting - will check it out when I have more time

This is the one reason why I refuse to buy an LCD. With my monitor (see sig) I can watch movies at 960x600 (16x10) and they look perfect. Long live CRTs! :D

ive done the zoomplayer/fddshow thing...it looks awesome like how it was intended to look if not better. the most basic thing u gotta do is increase the resolution with it. then u can increase sharpness or decrease the noise... plus it has all sorts of options so you can fit the movie however u like on the screen at extrememly high resolutions if ur specs can handle it. try it u'll be very happy

I agree and diagree. The reason the 2405fpw looks so "bad" is because it's higher res than your CRT. Hence you can see all the artifacts from the zooming etc. Having said that, DVDs look so much better on my CRT HDTV. It's not just the resolution issue, it's the color saturation as well. My CRT is like looking out a window. But similar to watching DVDs on the 2405fpw because of the resolution issue, watching good old fashion NTSC on my CRT HDTV looks really bad. To watch NTSC I pull out my old Proton TV. Looks great.

Rehevkor said:
This is the one reason why I refuse to buy an LCD. With my monitor (see sig) I can watch movies at 960x600 (16x10) and they look perfect. Long live CRTs! :D

I own the 2405 and I can tell you that different sources look drastically different.

The WMVHD 1080p content could not possibly look any better.

The HD 1080i content from my cable box looks damn good.

HDTV shows dled off the net look very good but not as good as the other two.

NTSC TV from my cable box looks like shit.

I haven't watched any DVDs on this machine yet...

...another addition to that...

HDTV that was filmed with HD cameras looks much better than HDTV content that has been upconverted to HD.

DiscHD, Jay Leno, the NCAA Tourneys all look stunning. A great way to see the differnece is to watch SportCenter HD. They have to switch back and forth between the "real" HD content and the upconverted content.

I would love to get 1080p out of my cable box but that option is not yet available.

Yaka said:
any one know if the guide + ffdshow work with media player classic?
No, currently the guide is only intended for use with ZoomPlayer. AFAIK MPC does not have anywhere near the options to support something like this... Trust me, you'll end up liking ZoomPlayer much better after you get skinned and tweaked to your likings. :)

I think this monitor is a great HDTV solution for the price! Although it's a bit small I could see getting a wallmount and putting it in a game room or a similar application.

sgt said:
No, currently the guide is only intended for use with ZoomPlayer. AFAIK MPC does not have anywhere near the options to support something like this... Trust me, you'll end up liking ZoomPlayer much better after you get skinned and tweaked to your likings. :)

well i tried the ffdshow part of it and watched an ep from my dead like me box set it works.

but i hit a snag .ts and xvid files dont play media player classice any more

Yaka said:
well i tried the ffdshow part of it and watched an ep from my dead like me box set it works.

but i hit a snag .ts and xvid files dont play media player classice any more

delete all the players and codecs u have, look for a codec pack, and install zoomplayer

or

make sure u turn all the fddshow settings off, like increased resolution and all the other effects

Yaka said:
i feed my pet 2405 HD sources and it all looks very nice :D

OMG, I've mis-read your post :eek:

I've just fed mine HP sauce.

Can I claim under warranty?

Tony.

:p

WMV DVDS arnt.

having said that the bike jump in T2 is crap now as you can tell that aint arnie

for rest of my dvds im using my xbox as a scaler the dvds looks much better that way.

Is there any free software to upconvert DVDs my 2405 is on the way, and I would like to get my comp ready to test out some upconverted DVDs? I noticed you have to pay for Zip Zoom Pro or whatever its called.

ZP is just the front end. FFDshow is what does the converting and its free. Im using Andy's beta FFDshow build, that thing is sahweeeeet. Anyways, i found some really sick settings for ffdshow. Ill post em up if anyone is interested, of course in order for it to look the same you have to have similar hardware.

Sure post em up, and maybe start a new thread. This would be really good information to help people calibrate upconversion software for watching DVD's on larger LCD screens.

puppyfriend said:
I agree and diagree. The reason the 2405fpw looks so "bad" is because it's higher res than your CRT. Hence you can see all the artifacts from the zooming etc. Having said that, DVDs look so much better on my CRT HDTV. It's not just the resolution issue, it's the color saturation as well. My CRT is like looking out a window. But similar to watching DVDs on the 2405fpw because of the resolution issue, watching good old fashion NTSC on my CRT HDTV looks really bad. To watch NTSC I pull out my old Proton TV. Looks great.

I dunno about that DVD's look amazing on my CRT no matter what resolution, I can run it up to 2048x1536 @ 85 Htz high than 1900x1200 and DVD's STILL look amazing on my 22 inch CRT. Thats the advantage of CRT and a clean analog signal for sure. I hate having a static Native resolution Then again LCD's are cool looking when the picture maps perfectly to them. I'm looking into buying an LCD so I can have both especialy since theres not many GOOD Widescreen CRT's...>THen again I have a Sony 1080i 30 inch Widescreen CRT HD TV in the same room so if I'm goin to watch a DVD it will be on the TV! I t has a built in tuner and the picture in HD is simply amazing, I have yet to see an LCD that looks better in HD.

Most of the uneducated Public does not realize that high end CRT's pictures typicaly look better than LCD at the present time, it will be a few years before LCD tech is closer to the level of CRT tech and certain resolutions are MORE standardized. But it should be soon! I wish LCD's could scale like CRT's though :(

Justintoxicated said:
I dunno about that DVD's look amazing on my CRT no matter what resolution, I can run it up to 2048x1536 @ 85 Htz high than 1900x1200 and DVD's STILL look amazing on my 22 inch CRT. Thats the advantage of CRT and a clean analog signal for sure. I hate having a static Native resolution Then again LCD's are cool looking when the picture maps perfectly to them. I'm looking into buying an LCD so I can have both especialy since theres not many GOOD Widescreen CRT's...>THen again I have a Sony 1080i 30 inch Widescreen CRT HD TV in the same room so if I'm goin to watch a DVD it will be on the TV! I t has a built in tuner and the picture in HD is simply amazing, I have yet to see an LCD that looks better in HD.

Most of the uneducated Public does not realize that high end CRT's pictures typicaly look better than LCD at the present time, it will be a few years before LCD tech is closer to the level of CRT tech and certain resolutions are MORE standardized. But it should be soon! I wish LCD's could scale like CRT's though :(

The following is why fixed pixel displays vary greatly from CRT's in regards to differing content or source material. It's all about the pixels and native resolutions. CRT's don't scale the content, they just take waht you give them. I have a Hitachi 42" HD Plasma capable of 1080i and use a Denon upconverting DVD player to watch DVD's in 1080i through HDMI and it looks awesome, but SD television looks terrible. I have gotten to the point where I will only watch TV if the show is being broadcast in HD.

1) No matter the resolution of the source material, whether VHS, DVD, or HDTV, a fixed-pixel display will always convert it, or scale it, to fit its native resolution.

2) If the incoming source has more pixels than the display's native resolution, you will lose some visible detail and sharpness, though often what you're left with still looks pretty good.

3) If the incoming source has fewer pixels than the native resolution, you're not getting any benefit from the extra resolution. In almost every case, extra pixels will not make a lower-resolution source look better. All other things being equal, the same DVD shown on an EDTV plasma and an HDTV plasma will have the same amount of detail.

Dark Helmet said:
Are any of these sources you mention HDCP protected?
nopes, hdcp is night mare for alot of peeps who dont have hdcp enabled conns, seriosly wish soneone would make a break out box that would let you view content on none hdcp tcs/monitors

Back