2405FPW "Input Lag" Poll

Dell 2405FPW Input Lag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hurin

2[H]4U
Hi All,

I'm very much interested in a Dell 2405FPW. However, various reports (here and here) of "input lag" have made me decide against buying one. For our purposes, "input lag" will be defined as a delay between when you move your mouse and when the mouse actually appears to move on the screen. Some people swear that they see this and that it can't possibly be caused by anything else but the monitor. Others swear that they see no delay at all. This intent of this poll is to get an idea of how many people see and do not see this behavior. And, more importantly, how many people have actually tested for it.

In order to choose one of the first two answers below, you must have actually tested for input lag. Currently, the only valid test seems to be to hook up another monitor in dual-monitor mode (preferrably CRT), clone the display to both of them, and then move an object on the desktop. Observe any delay between when the other monitor's object moves, and the object on the 2405FPW moves.

The rest of us who either don't own a 2405FPW or have not tested for input lag can answer with any of the other four choices.

Thanks!

Hurin

"I own another type of LCD monitor and experience "input lag.""

I had a 2001FP here for a few weeks and experianced input lag , The lag was very minimal but noticable with my CRT sitting next to it (dual monitor / clone mode) it was notable in both games and just opening & closing windows on the desktop etc. I verified that it was coming from the LCD itself by connecting my CRT HDTV to the DVI input (where the 2001FP was) and there was no noticable lag with both CRT's running clone mode.

I have noticed a slight delay when I hook up my 2405FPW (via DVI) and a Samsung 17" CRT (via analog - > DVI converter) on my old 6800GT.

Setting the monitors side-by-side and using them as one big desktop, you will notice that a window dragged right in the middle of the two monitors seems slower on the LCD side than on the CRT.

How this translates to online gaming, I do not know. I just know that I do not have any trouble playing fast action games such as Battlefield 2 or Half-Life 2, nor do I notice any lag when I play Gran Turismo 4 on my PS2 via component input.

Best bet is to test it our for yourself, and see if it's noticable.

Honestly, it is noticable if youset a CRT right beside the 2405FPW. Otherwise, seems normal!

I own another type of LCD monitor and have never experienced "input lag."

I have a 15" LCD connect via VGA (don't laugh), and I have never had lag.

bleh, buy it, try it, if u don't like it, return for full refund within 21 days. WHo cares about some problems some ppl claim to have with 2405? Don't let other ppl decide for you :D

So, researching an $800 purchase while simultaneously trying to get a handle on how widespread a problem might be is just silly now?

Odd, that's what I thought these forums were for. . . :rolleyes:

The lag stuff is B*** S*** its in your heads IMO, when your using a decent mouse & monitor drivers & running through DVI there is NO lag what so ever. When your running without any of these you will get lag...

Also consider that Iam a hardcore CRT fan, the only problem with the monitor to me is the black level (i want it around 3000:1 before I consider an excelent black) which will allways be there until SED comes along. The response could also be higher maybe 4-8ms maximum full range transition.

I've tried to duplicate this problem in different ways. I haven't set up a crt for comparison but I have tested audio to see if it matches with video using a program that allows me to set delay in +/- 10ms increments and lip movement (or drum movement, which is how I tested) is perfectly in sync with audio unless I set it back or forward 10ms or more. I also played a game of CS:S yesterday and pwned the whole round so either I can't percieve the lag and it doesn't effect me or it just doesn't exist on my monitor.

I don't know if its been mentioned, but the lag is only apparent with v-sync on. Mine goes when I turn v-sync off.

using DVI btw

Hurin said:
So, researching an $800 purchase while simultaneously trying to get a handle on how widespread a problem might be is just silly now?

Odd, that's what I thought these forums were for. . . :rolleyes:

Uhm, that was not my point. Whatever :rolleyes:

I think we should define certain standards to ascertain whether or not users notice any lag at all.

For instance, setting a CRT and the 2405FPW right next to each other and cloning the display and moving a window up and down between the two might be a good test.

Also, test different resolutions; the 2405's native resolution vs. say, 1024x768, because I know a lot of CRTs can't do 1920x1200.

What about v-sync on vs. off?

What about the picture scaling options for digital flat panel displays set in the nVidia driver advanced options (let the display adapter scale, let the monitor scale, etc).

The 2405 also has its own scaling options, so see if you notice lag with different methods of scaling when running in a non-native resolution (1:1, stretch, or aspect).

How about running a game of Half-Life 2, Battlefield 2, or Far Cry on a cloned display; CRT vs. LCD.

Please guys, tell us your exact testing methods, so we can try to relpicate them. And if yuo do notice lag, try to get a video of it, so we can all see.

TehQuick said:
Uhm, that was not my point. Whatever :rolleyes:
Well, I will say this, seeing so many people not have the problem even though they have looked for it and/or tested for it is ecouraging and may persuade me to actually "roll the dice" and try one of these out. :)

I think others might feel the same way.

H

Hurin said:
Well, I will say this, seeing so many people not have the problem even though they have looked for it and/or tested for it is ecouraging and may persuade me to actually "roll the dice" and try one of these out. :)

H

I believe it's a driver problem of some kind. When I first got the 2405fpw, I had lag. I downloaded the beta Razer drivers(now the official) and the lag went away. I still get it in the menu screens of some games, but have not had it during the game itself(HL2, D3, FC, BF2, Nexus, WoW)

1) Use a decent mouse (USB, optical, high dpi i.e. MX510/518/RAZOR etc...) with LATEST drivers.
2) Use monitor drivers.
3) Use DVI.
4) Use native resolution.

Theres is no way your gona get lag after doing this, if your getting lag then the monitor is fauly so RMA it.

This is the last time Iam repeating this...

Before I got rid of my CRT I used it in dual monitor mode with a Samsung 193P LCD. There was no lag compared to the CRT at all.

Don't know about the 2405FPW though. If you look at the pictures that gustep12 posted, the lag is obvious compared to the 243T. Perhaps it's not a problem with the monitor itself or it's defective but this is definitely not the first time someone is complaining about lag on Dell LCDs.

The setup:

eVGA 7800GTX KO
17" Gateway CRT on left
24" 2405FPW on right

Cloned display, 1024x768 desktop resolution, 32-bit color depth.
Running Cool Edit playing an MP3 entitled "Stranger in the Desert (Megaman Zero 2 remix)"

Canon SD400 5MP camera in movie mode captured this screen:

rjikty.jpg

I don't see how you can ignore the evidence; the LCD is clearly lagging behing the CRT by .041 seconds.

While playing Half-Life 2, the LCD felt sluggish compared to the CRT. However, once running in single display on the LCD and at the native resolution, all feelings of sluggishness went away and I was able to play as normal.

I can't really explain it; either the monitor and/or videocard does not like cloning displays with a CRT and LCD, or I just get used to the lag (if it even exists in single display mode) very quickly, or it's all in my head. Given the screenshot above though, I doubt it's all in my head. :D

.41 seconds is equal to 40ms right? If I set movies to display 40ms or even 10ms ahead of sound than the sounds no longer sync correctly to movement.

So it's an issue of having two displays over clone mode than, that would make a lot of sense considering how much bandwidth is pumping out the videocard that way. Not to meantion widescreen resolutions are kind of new. I've run into a few programs that have a hard time dealing with just the aspect ratio of the monitor so there could be drivers or some other problem floating around that is effected by aspect ration or the high resolution of the monitor.

.41 seconds seems like a massive amount of delay though. Surely I would notice something like that just moving things around the desktop and playing CS:S if it was there.

Yep, around 40ms

I don't notice the lag in single display mode, which leads me to assume that it has something to do with the clone mode.

Any other thoughts?

I've played a few console games on mine (direct hookup via component) and haven't felt any lag whatsoever

I agree with what the other guy said, get it and decide for your own damned self. if it is lag, then its a problem with the monitor and you should be able to do a return to dell with out much of a fit or fee.

I tested it with a ...

2405 / 2001
2405 / 1901
2405 / 1743 (whatever the current 17" Ultra Sharp is)
2405 / Samsung 700IFT
2405 / Samsung 955DF

Anyways, no lag that I could see in a number of response tests.

Hurin said:

H

Jeez, do I have to spell it out for ya? Alright, try to figure out this equation: Different people + different opinions + different perceptions/motor skills/eye acuity + different hardware configurations = ? Do u really think u can get some sort of RELIABLE results from this mixture? if u do, I am really, really sorry to dissapoint u but reliability of such "poll" is less than 20%, if not even smaller than that. WHat does that tell ya? whether u ask for opinions or ignore them, the final result will be same - u will either like or dislike the LCD, all other ppl's opinions be damned. I can only hope I was able to write it up clearly enough for ya :)

TehQuick said:
Jeez, do I have to spell it out for ya? Alright, try to figure out this equation: Different people + different opinions + different perceptions/motor skills/eye acuity + different hardware configurations = ? Do u really think u can get some sort of RELIABLE results from this mixture? if u do, I am really, really sorry to dissapoint u but reliability of such "poll" is less than 20%, if not even smaller than that. WHat does that tell ya? whether u ask for opinions or ignore them, the final result will be same - u will either like or dislike the LCD, all other ppl's opinions be damned. I can only hope I was able to write it up clearly enough for ya :)

Had you used proper English and grammar, it may have been even clearer. It would have especially helped out or non-native English speaking friends.

To re-iterate, I only see the 40ms lag when I hook up two monitor and use clone mode. Otherwise, in single display mode using any resolution (any aspect ratio as well), I notice no lag whatsoever.

Maybe the 2405FPW, by virtue of having such a massive panel, needs a lot of bandwidth that even my 7800GTX KO is unable to provide? :confused:

TehQuick said:
Why don't you come back when you're not PMS-ing? Go crap on someone else's thread. There's nothing wrong going on here and there's nothing wrong with wanting to know how many people perceive a problem with this monitor. If you are so angered by someone trying to gather information, I suggest you might want to stop visiting online forums, since that's what we're here to do.

Especially since what is being noticed isn't always subjective as demonstrated by a video someone took of the phenomenon (albeit with a Dell 2001). Now, you can say he has an f'-ed up setup, but it's not subjective at that point and definitely not due to "Different people + different opinions + different perceptions/motor skills/eye acuity." I actually emailed that guy and he says he notices the phenomenon with the 2405 as well (though to a lesser degree).

You really didn't have to try to explain your original post yet again. It has always been quite clear. And you're really just repeating yourself. Why you are so hostile towards others discussing potential problems with this monitor as well as their prevalence says a lot more about you than does your little attacks on my intelligence.

So, in closing, have a nice cold mug of STFU and stop crapping on the thread.

H

Hurin said:
Why don't you come back when you're not PMS-ing? Go crap on someone else's thread. There's nothing wrong going on here and there's nothing wrong with wanting to know how many people perceive a problem with this monitor. If you are so angered by someone trying to gather information, I suggest you might want to stop visiting online forums, since that's what we're here to do.

Especially since what is being noticed isn't always subjective as demonstrated by a video someone took of the phenomenon (albeit with a Dell 2001). Now, you can say he has an f'-ed up setup, but it's not subjective at that point and definitely not due to "Different people + different opinions + different perceptions/motor skills/eye acuity." I actually emailed that guy and he says he notices the phenomenon with the 2405 as well (though to a lesser degree).

You really didn't have to try to explain your original post yet again. It has always been quite clear. And you're really just repeating yourself. Why you are so hostile towards others discussing potential problems with this monitor as well as their prevalence says a lot more about you than does your little attacks on my intelligence.

So, in closing, have a nice cold mug of STFU and stop crapping on the thread.

H

lol, i got it thx. SOrry for the previous post, it was late at night and I was drunk as hell :D Oh, and I was just trying to help, but I know it didn't come out that way :)

TehQuick said:
lol, i got it thx. SOrry for the previous post, it was late at night and I was drunk as hell :D Oh, and I was just trying to help, but I know it didn't come out that way :)
Well, then, sorry for my outburst too. :D

I had a problem with my KVM lagging my keyboard strokes/mouse movement.

Do any of you have a KVM attached?

I'm running a 6800 Ultra to my 2405 via DVI and it's perfectly fine in windows and every game except UT2004. It is horrid in that game. No amount of tweaking the in game settings will solve the problem either.

Catboxer said:
I'm running a 6800 Ultra to my 2405 via DVI and it's perfectly fine in windows and every game except UT2004. It is horrid in that game. No amount of tweaking the in game settings will solve the problem either.

Do you have anisotropic filtering enabled? I remember the UT series games have this type of lag when AF is on, even with my old CRT.

Back