2405fpw and 1080p

I'm thinking of getting a 2405fpw mainly becasue of all the praise you guys give it, but before I do I want to know if it can show 1080p HDTV signals. Now granted the only devices I know of the can go up the that high a signal is the upcoming PS3 and those dvd players they sell on ebay that claim the can upscale dvd signals to 1080p, but still I want to be prepared for the future. Also I wanted to know if I hooked my HDTV box to the 2405fpw with the DVI would it still work or would I have to use the component cable?

From what I have have read it will run 1080p on the dvi cable. As long as you are not running a cable box that has copy protection on it yes it should work through dvi but I would wait for some other responces with better experience with the 2405

Depends how this DRM thing works out, with DVDs on Blue-ray, you might not be able to watch it at full quality. while the PS3 will display in great quality with BLACK BARS on top and on bottom of the screen, it will still look great in 1x1.... stretched willl look stretched.

Why would there be blavk bars on the top and bottom of the screen this is a widesceen moniter isn't it.

because while the screen is wide, the resoultion of 1080P is 1920x1080, hence 1080P, but there will be 60 pixel wide bars on each side of the movie, just download a 1080P movie preview from windows HD.... see what it would be like.

2045 widescreen 16:10.

Regular widescreen 16:9.

2405 has a little bigger reso.

1920x1200 = 2405FPW

1920x1080 = 1080P

Therefore, in 1080P Native mode, you will have horizontal black bars.

What settings/players(I'm using WMP10) do you use to watch HDTV 1080p content on this monitor? I've downloaded bunch of samples from MS but I cannot get a good picture quality.

There is banding(normal for TFTs), viewing angle causes minor contrast issue and every movie seems grainy. I guess it might have to do with this monitor's dot pitch which is .27?

I get better quality and viewing experience if I watch it on my non-hdtv 28" widescreen tv via tv-out.

I had a 22" Philips CRT before and and got better picture quality watching movies.

Still very new to 2405FPW and TFTs in general so maybe I'll need to get used to the disadvantages of TFTs vs CRTs with respect to banding and lesser dot pitch?

mike_j_johnson said:
1920x1200 = 2405FPW

1920x1080 = 1080P

Therefore, in 1080P Native mode, you will have horizontal black bars.

In theory yeah but the 2405 can't even play back 4:3 content over component/composite/ect in the correct aspect ratio. Instead, everything is horizontally stretched. To get an idea of that 1920x1080 would look like over DVI (if it were to work at all) create a custom resolution of 1920x1080 and try running the monitor that way to see what happens.

If you don't want to do this I'll explain what happens. The monitor doesn't understand this resolution but instead confuses it for 1920x1200 so the 16:9 image fills the entire screen resulting in an improper aspect ratio.

Unless the devices, like PS3, upscaling DVD players or whatever have it built in for them to scale 16:9 aspect ratio over a 16:10 display everything will be vertically stretched to fill the entire screen. Thus, making everything look skinny. I don't know if anything would work over DVI anyways with all the copy protection coming out these days.

If it's any consolation 720p seems to work ok and display the small horizontal bars (but 480i/480p are still messed up) so there might be a chance to still use the monitor for next gen consoles over component, albiet in 720p mode. I've heard there are alot of issues with the inputs though.

Isn't there a way to change how it displays lower resolution video? Stretch, 1:1, Aspect? Does that not apply to the non-digital imputs??

Those work over the analog inputs however aspect ratio is still messed up using the different modes. Maybe someone will come out with a cheap scaler or DVI/HDMI input card that would work for wide aspect monitors.

Back