• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2405FPW + 9700 scaling

TiDaL

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 28, 2001
Messages
156
I enjoy running several older games, and I can't seem to get this combination to properly scale from a 640 x 480 resolution. It doesn't seem to have any problems scaling the standard text mode, or even displaying the win2k boot screen, but once I'm in windows, scaling 640 x 480 via the driver seems to do nothing while scaling via the panel seems to result in the hideous block monster that is nearest neighbor scaling (no filtering, bilinear or otherwise). Most other resolutions, including the even lower resolution 640 x 400 don't seem to be nearly as problematic.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

I suppose I should also mention that I'm using a DVI connection. The DAC's on this card just aren't up to snuff--a DSUB connection isn't really viable.
 
It actually makes a lot of sense that it scales 640x400 better than 640x480, because 640x400 is the exact native aspect ratio of your monitor.

It seems 4/3 is a very awkward aspect ratio relative to 16/10. Sometimes you can find a certain combination, between your source pixel/aspect and your output, that is just hideous because there's no good way around it.

What you need to do, if you haven't all ready, is change the Image Settings on your monitor so that when it scales resolutions it only does it as high as it can without changing the aspect ratio. It will probably be a choice for scaling between something like, "Aspect, Stretch, Actual (1:1)." Aspect scaling is what you need. Basically this will max the image but there should be small black bars on the right and left of your monitor. The quality, however, should be much better. It will actually stretch 640x480 into 1600x1200 so as to keep the 4/3 aspect ratio, at the cost of 160 black pixels to the left and 160 black pixels to the right.
edit: The setting might be in your software Display Settings instead.
 
The problem is not the aspect ratio of the stretch, the problem is the filtering. The stretch with this combination of Video Card + LCD is not filtering (nearest neighbor), regardless of the combination of driver settings and LCD stretch mode settings used. If anyone can get this panel to properly scale at 640 x 480 resolution (either 1:1 or aspect) from within windows, could you post your video card/driver version and the settings you used--particularly if you've got an ATI card.

Thanks.
 
Are you saying that you are unable to make your monitor display 640x480 as I was suggesting (scaled with locked aspect ratio)?
 
I'm not unable to get it to display something at 640 x 480, and I can scale it to aspect or full screen, but the scaling isn't filtered, and there's a weird border. Overall it looks like crap. When I'm runnning at 640 x 480, the OSD reports 656 x 496, and the scaling doesn't scale all the way to full screen, likely due the the extraneous 16 pixels of nothing being stretched as well. The filtering I'm referring to is the algorithm used to perform the stretch, if you remember Quake 1 before GL Quake, or Duke Nukem 3D's sprites, then you'll know what a stretched picture looks like unfiltered, blocky and hideous.

Does anyone else with this monitor have similar issues with the same video card, or a different video card?
 
Back
Top