2405 viewing angles

Swishbish33

Limp Gawd
Is it just me, or are the viewing angles on this thing not that great. For instance, when I sit head on to the screen and look at the [H]ardforum dead center, the black on the sides of the screen is much lighter than the center of the screen. I understand that this may be a compromise for the screen size, but is it supposedly to be that bad? Playing UT2004 does the same thing: the edges of the screen seem washed out compared to the center. I guess I'm mainly asking to see if other people have the same issue or if mine is somehow defective, or if I don't have it set up right. It's running on DVI from a 9500pro (yeah, I need to upgrade). I know this is a lame question, but I want to know if this is the compromise for the screen size, etc. Thanks everyone.

EDIT: And the colors seem to start to fade just to the right and left of center.

Would this be a backlight bleeding issue? Maybe someone with more experience with the monitor should respond, but I'm taking a stab at it.

I thought maybe it would be leaking, but its on both sides, and when I move my head to face head-on with the edges of the monitor, the color looks good. It just seems like the color fades really fast as the image moves off-center, even sitting about 3 feet back from it. Maybe I should just ask for a replacement and compare the two. But this one doesnt have any dead pixels and no whine, so I'd like to keep it if possible. Even my laptop's screen has less color shifting at the edges. PS I'm using sRGB colors and a brightness of 0. I'm just trying to get expert opinions on whether this is a problem that plagues all 2405s and is just something I have to live with, since this is the first LCD other than my laptop that I've owned. Thanks everyone.

They aren't the best. I'd say the viewing angles for the 2405 are average at best compared to all LCD displays.

The viewing angles on the 2405FPW are surprisingly narrow seeing as it's a PVA panel. The screen is so big that it needs very wide viewing angles which unfortunetaly is not the case with the 2405FPW. Some people may tell you their monitor is just fine and can watch it from any angle but they don't take the colorshift into account. If you can live with it, I wouldn't ask for a replacement since you've already got a "perfect" one.

So what I'm experiencing is not unheard of? It just seems weird that the sides of the screen would start to fade when looking straight on. That seems very narrow. Of course, I have limited experience with LCDs, and no experience with good ones. Thanks.

I felt the same thing when I first got my 2405, solution was to push the monitor 2 ft away from the spot it was standing at.

i notice no color shitf or problems with viewing angles...

Swishbish33 said:
So what I'm experiencing is not unheard of? It just seems weird that the sides of the screen would start to fade when looking straight on. That seems very narrow. Of course, I have limited experience with LCDs, and no experience with good ones. Thanks.
Yep. As you may already know, the viewing angle specs are misleading and don't say much about the actual viewing angles at all. Manufacturers only take the contrast ratio drop into account when measuring viewing angles which is almost useless. They measure the point at which the contrast ratio drops to 10:1 (or even 5:1) in the center of the screen which is ridiculous.

The reason why the sides of the screen on the 2405FPW are washed out is because even when you're looking at the monitor straight on, you are already looking at the sides at an angle. Since this monitor is pretty big, that angle is wide enough to introduce the colorshift. Those viewing angles would be good for a smaller monitor and yet, they would both be rated 178/178 degrees because of the way they're measured.

At what distance from your face does the viewing angle look best? I tend to look at mine from slightly below center to have the center speaker below it.

Yes the color shift is very noticeable. If people tell you that they do not notice them it's because:

a) they are in love with Dell and are in denial
b) thay are color blind ;)

But seriously, even though I really wanted that big screen bad, I couldn't put up with that color change. Any work on digital pictures or video was pretty much impossible without constantly shifting your head to look "dead on". That's why I packed it and send back for a refund.
I got HP F2304 instead and can tell you that it does not have this problem. It uses S-IPS panel which does not exhibit this behavior, so I can really look at extreme angles and colors do not wash out. Aside that it has it's own problems - lower contrast which makes blacks not so black, non adjustable stand and of course it is 1" smaller, not to mention that I'm still on a quest to get one with even backlight.

alexpronko said:
Yes the color shift is very noticeable. If people tell you that they do not notice them it's because:

a) they are in love with Dell and are in denial
b) thay are color blind ;)

But seriously, even though I really wanted that big screen bad, I couldn't put up with that color change. Any work on digital pictures or video was pretty much impossible without constantly shifting your head to look "dead on". That's why I packed it and send back for a refund.
I got HP F2304 instead and can tell you that it does not have this problem. It uses S-IPS panel which does not exhibit this behavior, so I can really look at extreme angles and colors do not wash out. Aside that it has it's own problems - lower contrast which makes blacks not so black, non adjustable stand and of course it is 1" smaller, not to mention that I'm still on a quest to get one with even backlight.

And yet you continue to give us Dell LCD users shit about ours? Me think if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all. My Hyundai L90D+ had HORRENDOUS bad viewing angles and that was a S-IPS panel as well, this 2405 is no where close to that bad.

IceWind said:
And yet you continue to give us Dell LCD users shit about ours? Me think if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all. My Hyundai L90D+ had HORRENDOUS bad viewing angles and that was a S-IPS panel as well, this 2405 is no where close to that bad.

Listen pal, I know that twats like you would rather shoot themselves than admit to seeing a problem with their purchase. So if you have nothing creative to contribute maybe you should shut up and go away. Every post you make is simply trolling. "Uh-ah I have dell what a great thing it is", fine if you like it let it be but don't stop others from voicing their opinions, it is a public and free forum.

For the record I don't bash 2405, I simply share my experience with other users that are apperently seeing the same problem I was seeing.

Who gives a shit about your L90D+, we are talking about 2405 and 2304 here.
Again like in any other post you make you jump in with opinions without the facts. For your information L90D+ is a TN not IPS panel.
I had both 2405 and 2304 side by side so I think I'm alittle bit more entitled to give the opinion here.
No need to reply as it only polutes the thread.

Back