• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2405 v 2005 for gaming...

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
1,297
Ok, so i have an "alright" gaming machine, its got an x800 PRO video card, a gig of ddr2 ram, and a P4 3.06 oced to 4 ghz.

So my good old 1998 gateway 17inch monitor is dead. I would really love to get the 2405 because it is sweet, but since my main use is gaming i need somthing that i can work with lol...

So what do you guys think? I have read a lot about the various monitors, and it seems to me that the 2005 is the way to go, since it is cheaper. But i also have another question, does the 2005 have the same type of tv inputs as the 2405?

Thanks
 
spotdog14 said:
Ok, so i have an "alright" gaming machine, its got an x800 PRO video card, a gig of ddr2 ram, and a P4 3.06 oced to 4 ghz.

So my good old 1998 gateway 17inch monitor is dead. I would really love to get the 2405 because it is sweet, but since my main use is gaming i need somthing that i can work with lol...

So what do you guys think? I have read a lot about the various monitors, and it seems to me that the 2005 is the way to go, since it is cheaper. But i also have another question, does the 2005 have the same type of tv inputs as the 2405?

Thanks

You don't have to run games at the screens native resolution. It downsamples with little or no distortion. The 2005 is a faster screen though, if the slight ghosting of the 2405 bothers you. The 2405 has much better color and black reproduction though.
 
I never want to go back to a square resolution again after getting my 2005 :D
 
so since we are talking about 2405 and gaming, what would be the best vidcard to have for it? i have a 6800gt will that not be good enough?
 
Techx said:
so since we are talking about 2405 and gaming, what would be the best vidcard to have for it? i have a 6800gt will that not be good enough?

one need a 7800 series card (or the X1800) to push enough pixels for that monitor (and have some AA and AF on)... oh and of cource thats for the newer, more hardware stressing games
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
one need a 7800 series card (or the X1800) to push enough pixels for that monitor (and have some AA and AF on)... oh and of cource thats for the newer, more hardware stressing games

OR you could just run at a lower widescreen resolution. I frequently use 1680x1050 with no distortion.
 
Cabezone said:
OR you could just run at a lower widescreen resolution. I frequently use 1680x1050 with no distortion.

yup ur right.. though the guy asking did say the "BEST" card for it :)
 
Techx said:
so since we are talking about 2405 and gaming, what would be the best vidcard to have for it? i have a 6800gt will that not be good enough?

6800GT will do fine..A member here that my friend knows uses a 9800 Pro with it and gets great results.

You might see a wee-bit of a difference when using a 7800GTX or something but trust me,
6800GT will do ya fine for this monitor:)
 
An X800 is just as good as a 6800gt. Go with the 2405, don't get a craptastic 2005 just because of gaming BS. The benefits in other applications more than outweigh it. Besides, if it gets slow, just turn off AA, games look better without it anyway, IMO,
 
NulloModo said:
An X800 is just as good as a 6800gt. Go with the 2405, don't get a craptastic 2005 just because of gaming BS. The benefits in other applications more than outweigh it. Besides, if it gets slow, just turn off AA, games look better without it anyway, IMO,

The only x800 series card that is as good as a 6800gt is an x800xt or x800xl, the lower ones don't touch a GT.
 
Cabezone said:
The only x800 series card that is as good as a 6800gt is an x800xt, the lower ones don't touch a GT.

I'd take a 9700pro over a 6800gt, but then again, I won't touch an nVidia card... this is off topic however, still, an X800 can drive a 2405 perfectly fine.
 
Heh yeah, I went Nvidia because of NForce 4 (A8nSLIp) I had to give up my 9800XT which rocked everything I used it with. The 6800GT is a wee bit faster then it but, if I hear ATI's new cards that are coming out are decent, then I'll discard this GFX and get theirs :)
 
Im sure you have been in this scenario:
gaming on a 15" CRT to a 17" CRT to a 19" CRT.
The end result, you love gaming on the 19".

The same applies between the 2005FPW and the 2405FPW.
24" > 20.1"

This is assuming that all the monitor has the same Image Quality, only variable is the size.
=)

I've never used the 2005FPW, but I can say that the 2405FPW is great for games, minus the motion blur in CS 1.6 that I play here n' there. No biased opinion, but for serious gaming, CRT is the way to go *this is coming from someone who used to have a Mitsubishi 19" Aperture Grille Monitor*.
 
lil^mac said:
Im sure you have been in this scenario:
gaming on a 15" CRT to a 17" CRT to a 19" CRT.
The end result, you love gaming on the 19".

The same applies between the 2005FPW and the 2405FPW.
24" > 20.1"

This is assuming that all the monitor has the same Image Quality, only variable is the size.
=)

I've never used the 2005FPW, but I can say that the 2405FPW is great for games, minus the motion blur in CS 1.6 that I play here n' there. No biased opinion, but for serious gaming, CRT is the way to go *this is coming from someone who used to have a Mitsubishi 19" Aperture Grille Monitor*.

For serious gamers CRTs are better. For normal and casual gamers, LCDs do just fine, 16ms or less response time is great for any game unless you are hyper sensitive to motion blur and only play FPS games.
 
As a 2005 owner, I have to recommend the 2405 to anyone debating the two. Don't get me wrong, I love the 2005 and it's a great display, but man I wish I had sprung for 2405. You will want the extra 4 inches
 
so there will be a motion blur no matter what pc setup you have? it wont help, just the monitor?
 
fodder0 said:
so there will be a motion blur no matter what pc setup you have? it wont help, just the monitor?

Correct. The key spec for this is the response time of the monitor.
 
I would also recommend using a 7800gt or gtx for a 2405. I have 2 7800gt in sli at overclock speed of gtxes in sli (benchmarks including farcry and HL2 mirrors that of decent 7800gtx sli). Well I was playing farcry again at native res. with HDR on and 8X AF, the frame rates were in the 40s and dipped down to the high 20s in some places. So, the games are fast maxing out the graphics cards.
 
I recommend the 2405. The extra 4 inches makes a good difference in gameplay. If you're going to be doing HDR and 4xAA 8xAF though you should save up for a dual video solution as well. My X800XTPE can't push enough fps in CS:S. :(
 
Back
Top