• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2405 dvd playback calibration

rahavsmt

Gawd
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
513
I just bought this monitor and used the brightness and rgb settings that i have found in this forum.

Brightness 27
Contrast N/A (not available in DVI)
Color: User Preset
Red 36
Green 33
Blue 32

At desktop it is great but when im playing dvd it just does not seem correct. I dont know what the correct term is, but in some scenes the colors are too vibrant. For example the scene in Oceans 12 where Isabel met her father at the beach. Her father's skin almost looks red and the sands are too bright and has no details at all. Basically almost all the colors dont look right to me.

I lowered the saturation settings in nvidia control panel. The scenes where the colors were too vibrant are ok but the scenes where the colors looked normal previously are now dull.

I even tried using Digital Video Essentials to get the calibration right and i still couldnt get it right.

I dont know if there is something wrong with monitor itself. Can someone help me here please. Im very disappointed with the monitor right now.
 
I find those settings poor for me, too dim and too much of a red push. I use Red 34 , Green 36, Blue 40, have brightness at 54 (althought I change it from time to time) with gamma at .91. Whites and contrast levels are much better this way IMO. There was an anandtech article that mentioned how a ton of people were using those settings you mentioned on their monitors and how it worsens the image quality as well as it being bad for the eyes. Also in alot of screenshots I see of people's 2405's it looks like the red level is way too high so I think this monitor naturally has a strong red push to it.

For DVD you need to tweak Nvidia overlay settings (under "color correction", not "Video Overlay Settings"). My Nvidia settings for overlay are Brightness 135%, Contrast 123% , Gamma .92. Saturation %100. Tweaked using a THX calibration optimizer. It looks great to me under WinDVD, now if only I can get this TheaterTek program I just wasted a huge amount of money on to work...
 
fyi: a good player makes a huge difference. This TheaterTek program I bought blows away WinDVD or any other DVD player that I've used for both image quality and functionality. Playing DVD's with VMR 9 makes the shades of colors more subdued and natural. Nvidia DVD Decoder + WMP or Zoom Player is crap BTW...
 
This TheaterTek program I bought blows away WinDVD or any other DVD player that I've used for both image quality and functionality. Playing DVD's with VMR 9 makes the shades of colors more subdued and natural. Nvidia DVD Decoder + WMP or Zoom Player is crap BTW...

Um you know TheaterTek uses the Nvidia decoders, it says so on thier website.
 
Stonejaw said:
Um you know TheaterTek uses the Nvidia decoders, it says so on thier website.

Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that WMP is nowhere near as good as TT for IQ and the Nvidia DVD decoder is really buggy with WMP. Zoomplayer was too time consuming for me, I tried to configure the thing for at least 4 hours and didn't get the same quality as TT has right off the bat. I only meantioned them because they are the alternative to have similar IQ and features as TT. I bought TT because it uses the latest nvidia dvd decoders. I was tired of messing around with the other programs and wanted quality without hassles...
 
Back
Top