24" TOO Big?

redrum_237

n00b
Hi!
I thought I had made my mind up, and decided to go for a 24" TFT for my extreme gaming system (Q6600 @ 3,2, 4GB 1066Mhz DDR2, G92/G90). But now I'm having doubts. Is 1920x1200 a suitable resolution? Isn't it too high? I wanna play Crysis at highest detail level possible, with AF (maybe a little AA), with a decent Framerate (/FPS). But now I'm wondering, I'm a dreaming? Is this unrealistic? Will it be to exhausting for the graphics card to deliver that FPS at that detail level with that high resolution?

Is maybe a 22" TFT more suitable for gaming?

PLease share your thoughts!

Many thanks!

I just bought a 24'' LG l246w for my computer.
I love the 1920x1200 res for the desktop and for certain games, but with newer games (bioshock) I lower the res and run 1:1 mapping on the monitor.

Its a solution till i get a better pc

The benefit with a huge screen is that you can lower the rez and have it centered and it is still rather large! :eek:

as long as ur monitor can run settings ok other than native, you're good. I had 2405 a while back and loved it. Of course I have a 37 westy now but I now use a 22 samsung for the best compromise between resolution to video card power to space ratio. Sometimes though, I will game on the 37. The best damn monitor evar next to dells 24 inchers. IMO of course.

Hi!
I thought I had made my mind up, and decided to go for a 24" TFT for my extreme gaming system (Q6600 @ 3,2, 4GB 1066Mhz DDR2, G92/G90). But now I'm having doubts. Is 1920x1200 a suitable resolution? Isn't it too high? I wanna play Crysis at highest detail level possible, with AF (maybe a little AA), with a decent Framerate (/FPS). But now I'm wondering, I'm a dreaming? Is this unrealistic? Will it be to exhausting for the graphics card to deliver that FPS at that detail level with that high resolution?

no one can predict how a game will run before it's released, so no one can answer your question. if you are really that concerned you will just have to wait and see the benchmarks on release, and then know which is the best purchase. if you got a 24 now, you can still run it at a lower res, so u get the speed, just make sure it's a wide screen res.

Medal of Honor : Airbourne demo is using the Unreal 3 engine... not the same as crysis but I expect the performance will be similar, I have an AMD X2 4200 and 8800 GTS... I was running maxed out settings @ 1920 x 1200 (4xAF and 4xAA) and I was averaging 65fps... (1114fps in closing advertisement thing :p )

If you have a GTX and Q6600 I think you'll be fine...

Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies! You have all been very helpfull,and calmed of down! Medal of honour uses unreal 3 engine - Cool! And you can play it at that res.? "450" can every 24" monitor centrelize the picture while playing at a lower res. than native? Can the Samsung 245bw (I know - TN,I know,but it's fast,cause it's only for gaming) do it?playing at non-native res. on 245bw=good/bad?

I believe the 246CW is the current Samsung model...

Not here in Sweden. Here it's still called 245b/245bw.

How is playing at non-native res. on 245b?

I've never seen issues playing at non-native resolutions on any LCD to date. I currently own an LG 17" LCD, two 19" Widescreen LCDs (don't remember the brand), and a 22" Benq Widescreen LCD. Couldn't afford the 24" LCDs during the time (well could, just didn't buy it). I'm planning on simply skipping 24" and 27". Just going to go to 30" LCD.

I'm slowly finding out that I need more screen real estate for non-gaming needs. I tried dual monitors, but that really sucks. Second screen becomes a whole lot of worthless during gaming. Can't use it while game, cause more often than not, your game ends up minimizing.

I don't think 24" is too big. If I could I would put 32"-37" monitor on my desk.

if u go 30, and u game, you'll need video power like a mofo.

19*10 or 16*10 is the way to go if you want to play a good FPS.

I think these bigger monitors are great if you usually open more than one applications on your screen. However, lets say if you open 2 MS-Word documents in equal size, each docuemnt will be smaller than when it"s full size in a 19-inch.

I remember when I bought my 19-inch 2 years ago, my main concern was the font size because my eyes were getting worse. Because both 17-inch and 19-inch share the same native resolution, I went with a 19-inch (everything is a bit bigger)

Now for 24-inch, since it shares the same resolution as a 27-inch, I probably should consider the 27-inch. But it's still so damned expensive.

1920 x 1200 isn't too much for anything. It's only slightly more than 1600 x 1200. With a powerful rig a 24" is the minimum I'd go with. But 30 wouldn't hurt either. :)

I just like having the option to game on either. Sometimes, I feel the need for the westy, others, the smaller monitor. I love my westy because its 19 by 10 which seems perfect for this size. I HATE small text and icons. Though it creates a nice roomy monitor for all kinds of stuff (speaking about the 30), I just can't see playing with such a hig res for normal use. Games at that res, with the power to back it IS kick ass.

Dell's 27 incher seems to fit everyone's needs. I think I'll go their site now to research it again. I'll give this 22 to my wife so she can give her 19 to the kids :)

Right now, if you're happy with a TN panel, I'd go with a 22" wide.

1920x1200 is a high resolution to meet and expect high settings, it's perfect possible if you invest money into a top of the line video card, but to continue to meet your expectations you can be looking at spending money on a new video card between 12 and 18 months to make sure you have enough power to run at max settings with AA/AF. If you're willing to meet such expectations then definately go for a 24" it will compliment your system nicely.

Crysis in max settings @ that res with AA/AF I think is going to need SLI 8800 cards or a new high end 9xxx card (and these rumours havn't settled yet so it's not clear when the G9x performance cards are due)

1920x1200 is a high resolution to meet and expect high settings, it's perfect possible if you invest money into a top of the line video card, but to continue to meet your expectations you can be looking at spending money on a new video card between 12 and 18 months to make sure you have enough power to run at max settings with AA/AF. If you're willing to meet such expectations then definately go for a 24" it will compliment your system nicely.

Crysis in max settings @ that res with AA/AF I think is going to need SLI 8800 cards or a new high end 9xxx card (and these rumours havn't settled yet so it's not clear when the G9x performance cards are due)

I will always be willing to buy a new video card every year. I love gaming that much, but according to some rumors atxbitlabs the G92 won't be better than 8800gtx. That means that it will be that card + 24", is it too weak for Crysis@ Max. I only have to wait for the first tests!

What did you mean with
??? is 24" TOO much? :p

if you can handle the drawbacks to TN (bad vertical viewing angles, lower colour range) AND if you can get the 245BW for a reasonable price, it is really an excellent monitor. i'd say best of the TN's right now. however, that LG monitor (246WFP i *think*) is a MVA panel and is quite a bit better. if the price difference is small, get the LG. if its larger than get the 245BW.

i picked up an open box 245BW and got them to knock $50 off the price. it ended up being $150 less than the LG. for me, i'm quite happy even though its a TN. i've gone through 4 226BW's as well and an HP w2207. they're all utter trash compared to the 245BW. others might rather spend the extra $100-150 (depending on where you live prices seem to vary a lot) and get the better monitor.

i'd try both hands on if you can and see if spending more is worth it to you. wasn't really to me since the price gap was pretty large, but others would disagree. i think first step is to figure out weather TN is ok for you or not;) test it on some dark games, i find the colour shift a bit more noticeable with lots of contrast between light and dark areas.

Back