24" resolution question

cpthk

Weaksauce
I research a bit. I realized some 24" LCD has resolution of 1920*1200. Some are 1920*1080. Why is there a slight difference? Is that noticeable? Does that make a LCD of 1920*1200 better than 1920*1080 one? Or I can ignore that?

Thanks.

Well, 1920x1200 is the computer display standard of 16x10.

1920x1080 is the TV standard of 16x9. Also known as 1080P/i.

As long as whatever you want to use it for supports the resolution naively, it doesn't matter which you go with.

If you game, a lot of games will do either, but some will only do 19x12.

Blu-Ray playback will have black bars top and bottom on 19x12.

I run 19x12, and it works well for me, HD video and all.

1920x1200 is the standard res for a 16:10 ratio PC monitor
1920x1080 is the standard res for a 16:9 ratio HDTV

there've been some newer monitors coming out now with the narrower 16:9 ratio but you lose 120 pixels on the vertical side compare to the typical 16:10 PC monitors.

Not one is better than the other but it really depends on what you'll be doing more on the monitor to determine which one might "fit" you better:

- if you watch more TV shows and HD movies - the 16:9 monitors will fill the whole frame or at least have thinner black bars when watching movies

- if you use it more as a computer monitor then the 16:10 monitors will give you a bit more room vertically, and some people may like having that extra room for whatever app they're running.

1920x1200 is the standard res for a 16:10 ratio PC monitor
1920x1080 is the standard res for a 16:9 ratio HDTV

there've been some newer monitors coming out now with the narrower 16:9 ratio but you lose 120 pixels on the vertical side compare to the typical 16:10 PC monitors.
This.

Just to tie the connection together, that 1080P spec you see stamped on HD TV's is referring to that 16:9 resolution.

Will 16:9 be the main stream over 16:10? I heard some game doesn't support 1920*1080, is that true?

Thanks.

Then is there a difference between using a LCD TV (say a 32" 1080p) vs LCD Monitor (24") ??

Then is there a difference between using a LCD TV (say a 32" 1080p) vs LCD Monitor (24") ??

Yes, the TV will look washed out closer up, as in less that 3 feet away the pixel density is lower, so you'll have like 5 pixels per square inch, vs like 20.

I would never myself buy a TV for a monitor, but that might be just me.

Now, if I have it in a living room, maybe, but that's another story.

Yes, the TV will look washed out closer up, as in less that 3 feet away.the pixel density in lower, so you'll have like 5 pixels per square inch, vs like 20.

I would never myself buy a TV for a monitor, but that might be just me.

Now, if I have it in a living room, maybe, but that's another story.

Why is that? If TV resolution is 1920 x 1080 ... and monitor is 1920 x 1200, shouldn't it look about the same (assuming the TVs and monitors are the same size)

Why is that? If TV resolution is 1920 x 1080 ... and monitor is 1920 x 1200, shouldn't it look about the same (assuming the TVs and monitors are the same size)

you're fitting roughly the same amount of pixels in a larger viewing area, so the pixels are going to be spaced further apart on a larger screen vs a smaller one with a lower dot pitch. if the dot pitch is too large, you might be able to see a screen door effect depending on how close you are to the monitor. however, i am typing on a 40" 1080p monitor right now from 2 ft away with no issues whatsoever. i only start to see the pixels at about 6 inches away from the screen.

No offense intended, but a 32" is not the same size as a 24".

Maybe it's just my personal preference, as I have owned 2 HDTV's, and several monitors, and looking at any HDTV from 2 feet away, they look like crap comparatively speaking.

But whatever floats your boat.

you're fitting roughly the same amount of pixels in a larger viewing area, so the pixels are going to be spaced further apart on a larger screen vs a smaller one with a lower dot pitch. if the dot pitch is too large, you might be able to see a screen door effect depending on how close you are to the monitor. however, i am typing on a 40" 1080p monitor right now from 2 ft away with no issues whatsoever. i only start to see the pixels at about 6 inches away from the screen.

Not true if both are running at their native res.
Its not clear from forsberg78 post but I think thats what he was asking.

Yeah, sorry. I meant to say if monitor and TV are the same size, then quality should be the same..

of course from 3 feet away, 32" would look worse than 24" no matter monitor or TV....

So basically 16:10 is just it will have black area at the top and bottom, but the 16:9 movie view area is still there. You loss nothing. It's just that area is not used. i think there is nothing to complain that a area is not used, because the viewable area is still the same as 16:9.

Some people said the 16:9 will become the main stream. Is that true?

Back