• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

24" or 28"?

TechBoy

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
2,529
hello everybody! I have this dilemma I can't decide whether which one is better for me. A 24" LCD monitor a 28" LCD monitor. I am going between the 28" Hanns·G HG-281DPB and 24" ASUS VK246H. The reason I can't pick is that I really dont know squat about monitors and the 28" is only $50 wing wangs more than the 24". They both have the same native res. but the 28" is bigger and the 24" will look sharper? Correct me if I am wrong. I mainly do CAD, Gaming and HW (College Student). So which one would be better for me? Preciate the help! :D

ASUS VK246H- $309

Hanns·G HG-281DPB- $349
 
bigger is better aint it?
I dont know man I dont even have the room for a 28inch monitor.When I get a 22 or 24inch it is gonna take up most of the wall
 
bigger is better aint it?
I dont know man I dont even have the room for a 28inch monitor.When I get a 22 or 24inch it is gonna take up most of the wall

Idk, Alot of ppl say that the native res on the 28" will looks less sharp than the 24". I am not quite sure how much of a diff it will be. Depending on what I do I am not really sure which one will be better.
 
I dont see why it wouldn't be sharp I mean it is like having a hd tv that is 32 inches then one that is 46 inches.If you find out let me know also.
 
Scary dude to purchase those monitors on NewEgg especially when you looking at $300+ dollars. The return policy is not good due to the 8 dead pixel policy. You should look at buying a monitor at that price locally. Look at purchasing this Hannspree HF-259HPB 25" for $299.99 at Best Buy. Or, if you looking at the Hanns-G 281DPB 28", look at purchasing it from Costco online for $370. It costs more than NewEgg but, if something is wrong with it you can just bring it back to your local Costco store. I have the Hanns-G 281DJB model which has the height adjustment. The box is pretty big. I liked it while it was working but crapped out on me in 4 months. Still need to get this fixed. At least Hanns-G/Hannspree have 3 year warranty on their monitors.
 
I dont see why it wouldn't be sharp I mean it is like having a hd tv that is 32 inches then one that is 46 inches.If you find out let me know also.

28 inch panels have a higher dot pitch. I had a 28" (27.5) Hannspree 289HJB, and although it looked good, it was noticably less clear (in my eyes) than a 24 inch of the same resolution.

Of course, the 289HJB has an insanely high dot pitch (.30 if I remember correctly).
 
Scary dude to purchase those monitors on NewEgg especially when you looking at $300+ dollars. The return policy is not good due to the 8 dead pixel policy.

Well said.

You have to take this into consideration.
 
I've got the Hannspree 28" and love it (I'm in college as well). People always see the size of the monitor and are like, "holy s***." It's great for games too. I went from a 22" 226bw to 28" hanspree and would never go back.
 
I've got the Hannspree 28" and love it (I'm in college as well). People always see the size of the monitor and are like, "holy s***." It's great for games too. I went from a 22" 226bw to 28" hanspree and would never go back.

Lol, same here brother!
I was using a 22in Viewsonic VX2235WM, I bought that sucker brand new for $499.99 2 years ago. I really wanted a 1920x1200 display for my gaming rig and i looked at some 24inchers locally and when I saw the 28in on display I knew I had to get it.

Just using my computer is soo much more enjoyable now, i'd go 28in if you got the room!
 
The Hanns G is 27.5" btw. So a difference of 3.5"

It's less sharp but it's not going to look bad at native res.

I would've gotten it but I found a 24" with pivot and usb ports for 1/2 the price.
 
Its amazing how you never get satisfied with the amount of screen real estate you got. I just moved from a 17" 4:3 to a 22" 16:10 and while its much better I'm already wishing I had a 24". Countless people with 24"s are looking at bigger screens too. At this point I guess I'm wondering whether a dual 22" is preferable to a single 26-28, basically the price point is the same
 
Its amazing how you never get satisfied with the amount of screen real estate you got. I just moved from a 17" 4:3 to a 22" 16:10 and while its much better I'm already wishing I had a 24". Countless people with 24"s are looking at bigger screens too. At this point I guess I'm wondering whether a dual 22" is preferable to a single 26-28, basically the price point is the same

After I got a 4870x2, I knew I had to move to a display that was at least 1900x1200. So I just picked up a 28" to replace my 22". Working with dual 24" monitors at work, I'll report back what it feels like soon.
 
Its amazing how you never get satisfied with the amount of screen real estate you got. I just moved from a 17" 4:3 to a 22" 16:10 and while its much better I'm already wishing I had a 24". Countless people with 24"s are looking at bigger screens too. At this point I guess I'm wondering whether a dual 22" is preferable to a single 26-28, basically the price point is the same

Lol, I've only had my Acer AL2223W for a year and a half now and I have been looking for a new monitor for the last 6 months. I'm about to go out and buy the 28" Hannspree from best buy just because I have alot of reward points there and it will be cheaper than costco. I agree very much, once you get a taste of the big screens you only want to keep moving up. In about a year and a half I'm planing on replacing the 28" I am getting now for w/e 30" or larger monitor dell will have by then.
 
Its amazing how you never get satisfied with the amount of screen real estate you got. I just moved from a 17" 4:3 to a 22" 16:10 and while its much better I'm already wishing I had a 24". Countless people with 24"s are looking at bigger screens too. At this point I guess I'm wondering whether a dual 22" is preferable to a single 26-28, basically the price point is the same

That's pretty much why I jumped on the Dell 3007WFP-HC deal at the Dell Outlet.

I have a 21 inch CRT (19" viewable). I looked at 22" monitors but realized 1650x1080 won't really offer anything over 1600x1200. Then I looked at 24" monitors and tried 3 of those, eventually returning each one...never really satisfied with a TN panel. Then I saw a bunch of folks with 30" panels, talking about how "once you are at 30" you never turn back". Then the Dell Outlet begun running that deal with the 3007WFP-HC at $650 off.......that was pretty much it. I looked at 24 inch IPS panels but they were't much cheaper than the 3007WFP-HC deal (many were more expensive).

Bleh, research overload.
 
Its amazing how you never get satisfied with the amount of screen real estate you got. I just moved from a 17" 4:3 to a 22" 16:10 and while its much better I'm already wishing I had a 24". Countless people with 24"s are looking at bigger screens too. At this point I guess I'm wondering whether a dual 22" is preferable to a single 26-28, basically the price point is the same.

Same here, you get one display and after a while you begin to think if it wasn't just better to have a bigger one:cool:
ecstatic.gif
 
30" is the end for that for now. But now you've got 23" with the x1152 resolution tossed into the mix.

Maybe they'll have a higher res for 30" soon.
 
I've had my 275T for a year now and I'm never going back. Gaming on it is absolutely incredible. Text is crisp. If you're even remotely considering it and can afford it, do it. You won't be disappointed.:D
 
Great responses guys.
I suppose upgrading your monitor is no different than upgrading your cpu or video card. We always will want bigger, stronger, faster so to speak.
For me right now, I'm sitting in front of a single 22". At this point I cannot imagine anyone having a smaller screen than this. What is disappointing for me is I truly only gained about an inch vertically. Sure I gained over 5 inches horizontally but I suppose that's what's contributing to me thinking I didn't gain so much. At this point, if I were to upgrade I would even consider a 24"er. I'd be obligated to go with at least a 26. Then again as aforementioned for less than $200 I could add a second 22". Technically that gives me more screen real estate than even a 28".
 
Adding a second monitor is always a great choice if you need to have more windows open at once, but your gonna want a bigger single monitor for gaming if that is your thing.
 
I've got the Hannspree 28" and love it (I'm in college as well). People always see the size of the monitor and are like, "holy s***." It's great for games too. I went from a 22" 226bw to 28" hanspree and would never go back.

Heh, did the same exact thing. 226bw S-panel to a Hanns 28", whichever one you get at Best Buy which is supposedly better than the older Hanns 28".
I use various IPS panels at work and home for work stuff, but I wanted a single, large TN panel for gaming. The 28" has been perfect.
The deal on Dell 3007wfp-hc going on right now is very tempting, but I'd have to upgrade video cards as well. My will and money are ready, my wife's holy rage is not.
 
I cant see myself using anything bigger than dual 22 wide screens to be honest with you.


After 22 inch you can't even get away with maximizing a window. If anything I think dual 20inch monitors would of been good too.
 
Scary dude to purchase those monitors on NewEgg especially when you looking at $300+ dollars. The return policy is not good due to the 8 dead pixel policy. You should look at buying a monitor at that price locally. Look at purchasing this Hannspree HF-259HPB 25" for $299.99 at Best Buy. Or, if you looking at the Hanns-G 281DPB 28", look at purchasing it from Costco online for $370. It costs more than NewEgg but, if something is wrong with it you can just bring it back to your local Costco store. I have the Hanns-G 281DJB model which has the height adjustment. The box is pretty big. I liked it while it was working but crapped out on me in 4 months. Still need to get this fixed. At least Hanns-G/Hannspree have 3 year warranty on their monitors.

This man speaks the truth. QFT.

I bought the 281DPB from NewEgg on Black Friday and the first one I got had a "stuck" pixel that kept flashing different colors rapidly which was really annoying. It also would not go into sleep mode - I was able to RMA this to NewEgg's credit. The replacement arrived yesterday and has 3 dead pixels in a row, right in the middle of the screen. It was a blessing in disguise that the backlight started having problems this morning so that I could RMA it.
 
ok, I really want to know how much more screen space will i have with the 28" vs 24"? They are all well above my 22" wide. Just want to know.
 
This man speaks the truth. QFT.

I bought the 281DPB from NewEgg on Black Friday and the first one I got had a "stuck" pixel that kept flashing different colors rapidly which was really annoying. It also would not go into sleep mode - I was able to RMA this to NewEgg's credit. The replacement arrived yesterday and has 3 dead pixels in a row, right in the middle of the screen. It was a blessing in disguise that the backlight started having problems this morning so that I could RMA it.

Agreed. Newegg usually will take a monitor back if you gripe enough but it still is such a hassle sending it back and waiting to get the replacement
 
always go for the largest item you can afford, that goes for houses, cars, etc. as well
 
I decided against anything over a 24" monitor because I was going to use its vesa mounting on a monitor arm. Most monitor arms don't recommend monitors over 22" and over 20lbs. My 24" is slightly over the limit, but I love the mobility of the arm on my desk. So if you don't plan on getting an arm, maybe the 28" in the way to go.
 
I have the Hanns-G 28" (Not the HannsSpree, which is considered to be better) However, I have really enjoyed it. It first was used as a TV, getting upscaled DVD's through HDMI. Then it was hooked up to a computer, and is being used for All sorts pf things, including gaming, genral work and graphics design (a hobby, not a job). Yes, the screen is a huge, giant TN panel. Yes, the color is not certified by any of the color standards.

However, the sheer amount of space that I have available to use, is great. I upgraded from Dual 22" monitors and couldn't be happier. The 28 gave me much of the space off the 22's and removed the annoying break between the screens. I find it invaluable for using my graphics programs, due to all the pallets that I want/need to have open. I have it paired with 2 19" widescreens set up in portrait mode,
(A poor mans 20-30-20), like this, http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview-powertrioelitexl.asp, and I think it is awesome.

Just beware the other downside of using a huge monitor. The shock and horror of having to use another computer that doesn't have such a huge screen : ) I cringe whenever I have to use one of my schools computers, with their single, 17 inch, non-widescreen monitors.
 
Its amazing how you never get satisfied with the amount of screen real estate you got. I just moved from a 17" 4:3 to a 22" 16:10 and while its much better I'm already wishing I had a 24". Countless people with 24"s are looking at bigger screens too. At this point I guess I'm wondering whether a dual 22" is preferable to a single 26-28, basically the price point is the same

I just can't wait until I have the money for a 30" monitor. Then two 32" lcd's behind it
 
ok, I really want to know how much more screen space will i have with the 28" vs 24"? They are all well above my 22" wide. Just want to know.

I've recently purchased T260 of newegg (no dead pixels as far as I can tell, yay!) and it looks enormous compared to my T220. Just dwarfs it completely. So a 28" would be even a bigger difference once you put the two monitors side by side.
 
Back
Top