24 or 26 NEC

Bucken

2[H]4U
Having read alot on these 2 displays I wonder what are the arguments for going with the 24 over the 26. The price difference is $100. Why would I go with the 24?

The dot pitch and native resolutions are the same on both monitors, so theoretically the 24" will yield a sharper picture. This is because the 26" is spreading out the same amount of pixels across a larger area compared to the 24".

Yeah I saw that Toasty loved the 24 but had nothing but rotten experiences with the 26. I'm torn between these 2 and the Planar. I do alot of gaming, forums, and some photoshop. Would love a great gaming monitor that is accurate with its colors.

Yeah I saw that Toasty loved the 24 but had nothing but rotten experiences with the 26. I'm torn between these 2 and the Planar. I do alot of gaming, forums, and some photoshop. Would love a great gaming monitor that is accurate with its colors.

I'm in the same boat. I had the 2407WFP-HC, but returned it after terrible inverse ghosting. :mad: I got the 26 inch planar, great no ghosting, bad several stuck pixels. :( So now I'm at a crossroad, try another Planar, get the 24 inch NEC, or get the 26 inch NEC.

I'm leaning toward the 26 inch NEC. I'm already use to the 92% color gradient (my prior two monitors were) and I feel that in the near future we'll move beyond sRGB anyways (I already use Vista with an aRGB color profile and can switch to Firefox 3 if need be in the future). It's also only $50-$75 more than the 24 inch. But the jury is still out.

I wish those NEC panels were more affordable.. current 24" seem pretty bad :mad: if I can't take the inverse ghosting on the Dell I'll return it and try the 2490 or possibly the 2707wfp. Never know maybe they're actually releasing a new revision, there's a 3 week delay on both Canadian and US sites. I know some Dell rep said no but then again those guys usually don't know much.. If anyone gets the 2490 here be sure to post pics, I'm very interested in this one.. Just don't know if I'm 1100 dollars worth of interested :D

I wish they would come down a little in price as well but I would be willing to pay that price if they are head and shoulders above the rest. The biggest thing I do on my comp is game so that is the most important for me. I do a little bit of PS so I would like it to have accurate colors. If there was a cheaper monitor out there that would satisfy those requirements I would jump on it. There doesn't seem to be one though. So is the 26 a good gaming monitor or is my best bet the 24?

Bucken:
The PX2611 that you have should be a pretty good indication of what to expect from the NEC? Are you happy with the Planar despite the dead pixels? That's your budget NEC in my mind...

Sorry if I gave the impression that I had the Planar. I am going back and forth between buying either of the NEC's and the Planar 26. Right now I have the Dell 2005 which has served me very well for a few years.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I had the Planar. I am going back and forth between buying either of the NEC's and the Planar 26. Right now I have the Dell 2005 which has served me very well for a few years.

No, sorry that's my miss read (it was someone else), but still to you: PX2611 is your budget/semi-pro LCD2690. I'm happy with mine and I'm a fairly picky designer (no gaming on it, but from what I've read it's up it). My only reason to switch to NEC would have been downsize to 24" for the finer pixel pitch. At the time I bought it would've been $350cdn more for the 24" NEC.

I wish those NEC panels were more affordable.. current 24" seem pretty bad :mad: if I can't take the inverse ghosting on the Dell I'll return it and try the 2490 or possibly the 2707wfp. Never know maybe they're actually releasing a new revision, there's a 3 week delay on both Canadian and US sites. Just don't know if I'm 1100 dollars worth of interested :D

There is an active discussion on Hardforum near the bottom of this link

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=2504219

regarding recent price reductions on the NEC 2690. Some Planar owner over there still thinks the Planar is the better monitor and contests the NEC pricing. He claims the Planar can be had for $850.

I wouldn't say the Planar is 'better' it's less expensive with the same panel, but there is alot of additional engineering in the NEC's too - reading those posts makes the NEC's out to be over priced. I really disagree, but both are excellent monitors. Also, it says something, that NEC actually has an optional bundle that includes there own colormeter (SpectraView) . pricing in my world now is (CDN): PX2611:$938.00 - NEC(just the monitor) LCD2690: $1229.00 LCD2490: $1134 so the NEC's look like a good value for a professional graphics monitor to me...

further, add in separate 3rd party colour meter with the PX2611 and either NEC bundle looks great too.

Looks like the NEC rep came down hard on the NEC pricing and slapped the Planar owner around pretty good.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=25543265

too funny:D
That is in and of it's self is a statement of the integrity of NEC as a company. To have a rep defending their product in a forum.

Coincidentally, In my correspondence with a Planar rep I have sent links to TFT Central's panel search and to the Planar threads on HardForum making suggestions, that someone from Planar should be post their product line info to these valuable online resources. But I have not seen anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my Planar Monitor. For me it was the right decision at the time, but you gotta love NEC, for stuff like that.

Bucken: if I were you I'd drop that fella a post or email with your requirements and ask for an 'NEC Monitor recommendation' and if he thinks the NEC 90 series is over-kill for your needs...I bet you get the straight skinny.

i went with the 24 because i didn't really want to deal with any of the problems people were having in the 26 range. but now that ive got the screen i can say 24 is plenty big... TBH it doesnt matter how big your screen is.. anytime i work with code or anything im using 2-3 monitors anyway.. 2 inches bigger on a screen would never come into play..(need 3+ windows open anyway) On the quality side i got a perfect screen in all the areas that are variable (bleed/pixels/etc) I can't comment on the 26 as there is nobody around the STL area that i know having one. but i can tell you the 24 performs perfectly for my needs.

again the biggest problem is finding 1920x1200 wallpapers of my fav hotties :p

too funny:D
That is in and of it's self is a statement of the integrity of NEC as a company. To have a rep defending their product in a forum.

Coincidentally, In my correspondence with a Planar rep I have sent links to TFT Central's panel search and to the Planar threads on HardForum making suggestions, that someone from Planar should be post their product line info to these valuable online resources. But I have not seen anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my Planar Monitor. For me it was the right decision at the time, but you gotta love NEC, for stuff like that.

Bucken: if I were you I'd drop that fella a post or email with your requirements and ask for an 'NEC Monitor recommendation' and if he thinks the NEC 90 series is over-kill for your needs...I bet you get the straight skinny.

Oh I know that these NEC monitors are overkill for me. I just like to have the best monitors. I mean it is the most used thing on your computer. Everything else I go mid size. For the monitor I want the best. I know these are designed for color critical work but I have heard they can game very well also.

The few people I know who have both (that I read from) liked the 24" best.

There hva been cases where they liked the 26" best too. ;) UCSB/Bill from dpreview is one of them:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=25238661

They both have an H-IPS panel and the same electronics inside. The difference are the wide gamut vs. standard gamut and the size.

Here's what Will from NEC tells about the differences:
First of all, the LCD2690 is marketed as a wide color gamut monitor. If that doesn't suit a particular application, the LCD2490 is the recommended alternative. It has identical features but is 2" smaller and of course closely matches sRGB colorspace.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=25098312

Tamlin how is gaming on the 26?

Gaming is just wonderful on this screen!!! :D It has a 2 frames (33ms) input lag according to measurements made by both ToastyX and Behardware due to some internal processing of image, which would put it among the average 24".
I'm not sensitive to input lag apparently, so its not affecting my gaming in any way. I get high score and accurate hits in ET-Quake wars demo that I love to play for the moment. The Planar has only 1 frame input lag and is better in that respect.

Image quality is wonderful and it should be, since it is constructed with image editing in mind. The response time is great both without overdrive and with overdrive. There are some bluring of textures when overdrive is off, but besides that its sharp and responsive.

I'm playing ET-quake wars in 1440x900 at the moment due to shitty GFX and the interpolation is very good. This screen (and also the 2490 naturally) can have independent sharpness settings on each resolution you choose, so you can get a sharper picture and don't have to redo it all the time for each new resolution.

The black level adjustment gives me an ability to simulate CRT black depth, though it doesn't really lower the black depth and only gives an impression of deeper black. It comes with the expense of crushing the blacks, so I only use it for movies and some games.

The wide gamut makes movies and games shine, so in my personal opinion its a great benifit for that even if the material is created in another colorspace. It doesn't crush colors as you might get by oversaturation, but rather remaps them into wide gamut. The screen have its own saturation option with 6 color adjustment (red,green,blue,cyan,magneta and yellow) if you want the colors even more saturated. Looks good in games like WOW.

I don't regret buying this for sure! :)

Back