24 inch monitor... opinions wanted

Jarod888

2[H]4U
I will be in the market for a new 24 inch monitor with in the next three months.

Currently I am looking at the BenQ FP241 or the Samsung 244T

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014124

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001222

I really like both, and can't decide which is better. I really like the fact that the BenQ offers HDMI and DVi. The Samsung only offers DVi. They both have many other inputs. I am looking for opinions as to which is better, and, or another option. It has to have DVI, S Video, composite, and it must be Black or Black with a silver base. I would prefer cheaper than these, but with the amount of inputs I want, that seems unlikely.
I currently have the Westinghouse 19 inch widescreen that was 149 from Best Buy a month or so back, and it is fine, I just want a bigger screen.

Thanks

It does not look like you read this forum much...

if you are looking for inputs that WORK...

no monitors do except one Eizo. all of them screw up 480i/480p so pathetically, it makes you wonder who the hell writes the software for these things. I would have bought the benq V W version which is even more substantial looking and is neat in many ways.

other than that, I would go the benq one if digital tv and dvd inputs are not why you are buying.

the samsung 244t is a rehash of the older 214t model, the same hardware and panel etc.

the 214 was PLAGUED with input lag and overscan, the 244 is samsungs attempt to get things right, from what I have seen they have made some improvement but not enough, input lag is still an issue in the newer 244t, its still an SPVA panel and for that price a better panel like a PMVA should have been used which would probably have eliminated the input lag problem.

the benq would be better, the LG246 would be better also

Thanks for the info. I am still having a lot of trouble finding a 24 inch monitor that has the following inputs: DVI (it must have this) HDMI, s-video, component, and the classic VGA.
Oh I forgot to mention, I guess if I had to I would go up to a 27 inch, but I would rather not.

I am not ready to switch to HDMI yet and I want a DVI input. I don't play games very much at all. I don't really watch dvd's on my computer, I surf the net. I want all the connections, because I want the ability to use those features later at my choosing. The only game that I will be playing is Crysis, I will be using an 640 8800,and I am only going to play it on Windows XP, NO vista. I want the monitor to support 1920x 1200 and I want it to have a low response time, is that too much to ask.

All suggestions are welcome, just remember the criteria.

Thanks

And another thing, I can figure out what input lag is, but what the hell is overscan?? And how bad is this? I have two monitors right now, a westy L1975NW and a viewsonic 922, and I love them both. I have never had any issues with either, except when the power surge killed the 922, sent it in, got it back, but I have not hooked it up. That is why I picked up the westy. Now I just want a bigger monitor.

The only monitor that seems to come close to what you want is this Westinghouse which uses an MVA panel. It doesn't have DVI but it does have HDMI and you can pick up an HDMI to DVI cable off of www.monoprice.com for around $5. I also noticed that the 8ms response time listed on Newegg seems to be wrong, every where else I have looked lists it having a 5ms response time.

I plan on picking this up next week so I went down to Best Buy to look at it in person and I really liked it. Best picture quality out of anything else I saw in their LCD monitor section. Considering the default video they run on all the monitors is not the best tool for judging picture quality that may not mean much but I still think this will be a great monitor for the money and even seems to out class a few of the big boys in the higher price range.

I will post my personal impressions of this in a couple weeks once I get it and have had time to play around with it.

I guess there are not many 24 inch monitors that have all the connections that I want. The monitor HAS TO HAVE DVI, there will be no EXCEPTIONS, I could care less if i can buy an hdmi to dvi cable. I want a normal DVI connector. So it looks like the Benq is the monitor I will be getting. Almost all the responses on newegg are positive. I don't know the difference between panels anyway, so saying that a these monitors are not good with out providing a detailed explanation of why is worthless to me. (If you are going to start naming off acronyms then at least bother to explain what they mean, and why I care.) I am legally blind without my glasses anyway. I wear blue tinted lenses from Oakley to cut out yellow light and I sit less that 18 inches away from my monitor now, so I just want something bigger so I can have more stuff on my screen. Honestly I probably couldn't tell the difference between panels anyway. I just want lots of connections.

I guess there are not many 24 inch monitors that have all the connections that I want. The monitor HAS TO HAVE DVI, there will be no EXCEPTIONS, I could care less if i can buy an hdmi to dvi cable. I want a normal DVI connector. So it looks like the Benq is the monitor I will be getting. Almost all the responses on newegg are positive. I don't know the difference between panels anyway, so saying that a these monitors are not good with out providing a detailed explanation of why is worthless to me. (If you are going to start naming off acronyms then at least bother to explain what they mean, and why I care.) I am legally blind without my glasses anyway. I wear blue tinted lenses from Oakley to cut out yellow light and I sit less that 18 inches away from my monitor now, so I just want something bigger so I can have more stuff on my screen. Honestly I probably couldn't tell the difference between panels anyway. I just want lots of connections.

If you want people to help you I suggest lowering the hostility.

considering there is no real difference between HDMI and DVI not being "ready" for one over the other is kind of asinine, because there are not a lot of choices out there it would be helpful to give a reason why DVI is so detrimental to your decision. Being that you are as blind as you say you are and picture quality isn't that big of a deal to you why don't you look into HD TV's as well? It may be easier to find one with all the proper connections.

And a little research on your part (panels) wouldn't hurt anybody.

Yeah, I was a bit grumpy this morning when I posted that. Anyways I guess there isn't a real reason that I need to have DVI, I just would rather have a straight forward connection rather than a conversion cable. The guy at BestBuy said that DVI is a dead technology and that HDMI is the future. I guess I have an unnatural need to buy; spend lots of money on technology that is at it's end of life. I am still upgrading 939; although I think I have reached the end; FX 60 and DFi expert. The only "new" technology" that is going into my new computer is the 8800 gts and the Silencer 750, oh and a few large sata drive. But I am still diehard and will continue to use IDE, I figure the connections are on the MB might as well use them. Enough rambling. I think I may have found a new option, DVI but no hdmi, but it has lots of other connectors and such. I checked it out at BestBuy, and wanted some opinions. It is the Gateway FPD2485W, at 679 it is more than I want to spend; but less that the Samsung or the BenQ. Again sorry about my grumpy response from earlier.

Yeah, I was a bit grumpy this morning when I posted that. Anyways I guess there isn't a real reason that I need to have DVI, I just would rather have a straight forward connection rather than a conversion cable. The guy at BestBuy said that DVI is a dead technology and that HDMI is the future. I guess I have an unnatural need to buy; spend lots of money on technology that is at it's end of life. I am still upgrading 939; although I think I have reached the end; FX 60 and DFi expert. The only "new" technology" that is going into my new computer is the 8800 gts and the Silencer 750, oh and a few large sata drive. But I am still diehard and will continue to use IDE, I figure the connections are on the MB might as well use them. Enough rambling. I think I may have found a new option, DVI but no hdmi, but it has lots of other connectors and such. I checked it out at BestBuy, and wanted some opinions. It is the Gateway FPD2485W, at 679 it is more than I want to spend; but less that the Samsung or the BenQ. Again sorry about my grumpy response from earlier.

No problem.

I am not familiar with the gateways I have seen a couple of the Dell and Samsung's but they are a bit over priced for me. If you are still in the market next week I will do a quick review of the 24" Westinghouse and next time you are at Best Buy take a look at it, I thought the picture was great, the connections were just what I needed and you really can't beat the price. It may suit you as well.

I have the gateway 24" and I love it. Early versions had some light bleeding through the edges and the touch sensitive menu buttons failing, the startup logo not going away, and high heat output. However I have a good one and I love it and it has all the connections except HDMI.

HOWEVER, the video signal in the DVI is exactly the same as a HDMI video signal. The only difference is the content protection of HDMI, the greater bandwidth of information the HDMI can handle, and hence the ability to carry an audio signal as well. Using a Converter cable will result in no signal quality loss at all. Personally, I would try and find an HDMI monitor because that is what is being put on newer video cards and it's the future. You would be technology proof for say, oh...a couple of weeks. J/K

This is only my two cents...

Back