• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

24-26" IPS - Best Choice.

Cyane

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
143
I was looking for the best choice in the 24-26" bracket in an IPS flavor for Gaming and HD Movies. So far these are my choices:

-Doublesight DS-265W
-HP LP2475w

The famous NEC model everyone talks about isn't an option as it's too rich for my blood. The Planar is also a bit too much as well, so that isn't an option either. Suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers.
 
When I dish out the big dollars, I make sure it's a solid investment (especially when it comes to computers). No refurbished or 90 day warranties for me =P. Still looking for more suggestions. Thanks!

Regards.
 
The LP2475w is the far superior choice. tftcentral measured one of the best black points of any of their reviews, which is hugely important to subjective image quality. The DS-265W uses panel blocking, so it will be worse than mediocre in that area. The LP2475w also has a superlative array of inputs and ergonomics.

Really, the only possible complaint one could have against the monitor is its very wide gamut. Despite all the complaining that 'feature' draws on this forum (from me and others), the HP is a superior monitor. Its only other downside is apparently its hilariously bad out-of-the-box settings, but since you are on this forum I'm sure that will be no obstacle.

It seems incredibly difficult to find one of these to view in person, but if you can think of a place you can find one it would help you make your decision. I couldn't find one in any store here, so I went to the marketing department at the company my mom works at
2uix4w9.jpg


Reviews: prad.de, tftcentral.co.uk
 
If going for the HP, keep the following in mind:

1. Wide gamut (problematic for some, not for others)
2. Needs calibration (a 100% requirement)
3. Some issues have been found (such as green to pink tint across the screen)

The issues vary with each monitor. I had to get my first panel replaced by HP to arrive at a faultless panel with no tint and no dead/stuck pixels. I have the revision GIG 122 which seems to be good as far as people on this forum attest to. If going for the HP, try to get the newer revision.
 
So, the HP seems to be the best choice. If I'm going to buy it (I live in Canada), how can I check to see if it's the latest revision, what is the latest revision and where can I get it for a good price? All I'm seeing it go for is around the $900 CAD mark and that's a hell no for me =P.

Thanks in advance.
 
I checked out that LG model, apparently people are saying it has annoyingly loud buzzing and whining. Loud computer hardware is an issue for me =P. The HP is looking like a nice option, but it's the same price or more than the Doublesight DS-265W and it's 26".
 
I checked out that LG model, apparently people are saying it has annoyingly loud buzzing and whining. Loud computer hardware is an issue for me =P. The HP is looking like a nice option, but it's the same price or more than the Doublesight DS-265W and it's 26".

Philips 240PW9EB would be a good choice then (same panel as the HP), but I don't think it's easily available at Canada.
 
That's the problem with these amazing IPS monitors - always only commonly available in the US. I added the Doublesight to my cart from Provantage (because I was curious about shipping fees) and shipping was $80 USD.... There's no way in hell I'm paying that much for shipping =P. So, between the Philips and the HP, which is the better panel and are these the best choices?
 
That's the problem with these amazing IPS monitors - always only commonly available in the US. I added the Doublesight to my cart from Provantage (because I was curious about shipping fees) and shipping was $80 USD.... There's no way in hell I'm paying that much for shipping =P. So, between the Philips and the HP, which is the better panel and are these the best choices?

interesting to see that shipping is so much more; I just received my Planar from them and shipping was $20....

Haven't set the new panel up yet so I can't comment on it :)
 
That's the problem with these amazing IPS monitors - always only commonly available in the US. I added the Doublesight to my cart from Provantage (because I was curious about shipping fees) and shipping was $80 USD.... There's no way in hell I'm paying that much for shipping =P. So, between the Philips and the HP, which is the better panel and are these the best choices?

Based on the previous discussions and what you said was determining your choice, the HP seems to be the best option for you. You can't really know what revision/manufacture date you are getting unless the retailer directly lists it on the website. That's the only problem. Just hope that you don't get an older manufacture date that has been sitting in stock for a while.

As far as I know, the newest revision is the REV GIG122 which began appearing in October 2008. I have no issues with mine (such as the infamous tint issue) and several other people have also confirmed this.
 
Does Amazon ship to Canada, or is there an Amazon Canada? They list the HP for $620 with free shipping (in the US).
 
No, Amazon.com does NOT ship to Canada and amazon.ca doesn't carry any computer products.

So about the HP model, are there any major flaws I should know about? I'm going to be using this monitor for playing games like Crysis and Fallout3 and watching Blu-Ray movies.

Thanks.
 
No, Amazon.com does NOT ship to Canada and amazon.ca doesn't carry any computer products.

So about the HP model, are there any major flaws I should know about? I'm going to be using this monitor for playing games like Crysis and Fallout3 and watching Blu-Ray movies.

Thanks.

Read the HP thread in the Display forum to find out about some of the issues.

The main issue many people are having is a green to pink tint/coloration that runs from left to right on the monitor. This may be an issue with the earlier releases of the monitor and MAY go away with time. I still had the issue after 60 hours of backlight so I got my monitor replaced by HP. Now its a manufacture date of October 2008 with REV GIG122 on the back sticker. No issues whatsoever.
 
I'm very happy with my Planar 26".


\I was able to get it with the Live Update/Sale on Ebay combination that brought the price down a few hundred dollars...and the monitor is fantastic. The only small annoyance is that it takes a few seconds to "warm up" when it has been off--the screen will flash through "seeking source" four or five times (maybe 15 seconds?) before finally settling on DVI input and moving forward. I do not know if this is a common feature of IPS monitors or not, but my older Samsung (mPVA) monitor does not require those warm-up moments.
 
I'm very happy with my Planar 26".


\I was able to get it with the Live Update/Sale on Ebay combination that brought the price down a few hundred dollars...and the monitor is fantastic. The only small annoyance is that it takes a few seconds to "warm up" when it has been off--the screen will flash through "seeking source" four or five times (maybe 15 seconds?) before finally settling on DVI input and moving forward. I do not know if this is a common feature of IPS monitors or not, but my older Samsung (mPVA) monitor does not require those warm-up moments.

The doublesight DS-263N does the same kind of thing, so it's probably just the PCBANK monitors that work like this. My NEC lets me select the inputs one by one rather than automatically moving to the next one when it doesn't detect a signal. If the Doublesight/Planar didn't have that automatic skipping 'feature' (or had a way to turn it off) there wouldn't be any problem.

My doublesight never takes more than one try to detect a source though, unless it just doesn't play nice with the source (receiver, cable box.)
 
i have a dell 2007wfp IPS monitor, its IPS too, but frankly, im a bit dissappointed at the blacks of this screen. You can barely notice any detail in for example black clothing. I calibrated as much as I could, but I heard it's a IPS thing. I have another small 17 inch screen, older, but PVA, and this doesn't have this issue with blacks. The colors are more 'uniform' on the PVA. All eizo screens (the brand photographers swear by :p) are all PVA. The plot thickens.
 
So, the REV GIG122 is the revision to look for and you guys are saying there's no issues like the "tint" issue with this rev? Also, know anywhere in Canada I can buy this monitor and is there a way t ocheck the revision without having to open the box?
 
As far as I know, no one has figured that out yet.
Everyone is checking for stickers on the back of the monitor and in the menus, so it's impossible unless these stickers are hidden somewhere outside of the box as well.

I would just try to find a place with a decent return policy in case you get something with problems, or a B&M with no-question returns, but I'm not sure what's available in Canada.
 
There is a sticker on the box that has the revision number along with the serial number and a bunch of ISBN codes.
 
Well then, there you go - my information is outdated.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out.
 
I reccomend the Planar PX2611W, just because its [practically] the same thing as the DS-263N, which I happen to have and love.
 
I think I'm going to be buying the HP LP2475W (REV GIG122, hopefully it says on the box like vick1000 says. Does anyone know where in Canada sells this? (preferably with a good return policy)?

Cheers.
 
Just to clarify, mine had the revision number on a sticker that looked like a shipping sticker, it said Smartway at the bottom.
 
Sticker on the outside of the box? I'm assuming you bought yours from the USA because I've never heard of Smartway. I still need to find good places in Canada that sell it (and that have the revision I want easily found).
 
Back
Top