• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

23" LCD Mon >> Sony or Apple??

PCMM1

n00b
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
8
Dear All, my first topic in HardForum. Halo, Everyone.

I am deciding to buy a 23" Mon.
Now I have 2 choices, one is Sony SDM-P234, the other is Apple Cinema Display 23".
I will use it 50% Photoshop, 30% Word Document, and 20% for Movie & Games.
(Of course most of the time will use IE for Internet and ICQ :p )
In these two, which one will be more suitable?
Which one has the most accurate color and the best pictures' quality?? :confused:

Thanks a lot ^^
 
Dell 2405, why? Uses the same panel as the apple, so as far as the actual picture goes, they are very close but half the price for the dell.
 
Xeon22 said:
Dell 2405, why? Uses the same panel as the apple, so as far as the actual picture goes, they are very close but half the price for the dell.

In Hong Kong, the price of DELL is just US$250 lower than the Apple 23" T_T
Dell 24" is quite Expensive in Hong Kong selling at US$1199 at Dell :(
 
Being in retail, I see a lot of Sony products die young. If what you listed are your only two choices, go with the Apple.
 
I have read the MacWorld's review.
(Unfortunately, they haven't written any comments about Sony LCD in the passage :( )

They said that Apple has a problem

『The Apple display also showed problems with screen uniformity—even when sitting directly in front of the display, we noticed that the edges showed slightly different colors than the center of the display. 』

『After we reported these issues to Apple, the company sent us a second unit that didn’t have the original pink color cast, but the colors in the edges of the display were still a bit darker than the colors in the center. 』
http://www.macworld.com/2005/02/reviews/23inchlcd/index.php

Anyone using Apple 23" LCD and find that this problem is serious?? :confused:
 
I have an Apple 23" HD Cinema display and I haven't notice any color difference or the pink problem others have posted. I really like this monitor; however, the only small gripe that I have is that it doesn't show by boot-up screen information when I boot my PC computer up. This is ok because I have my computer up and running fine (knocking on wood as I type this for I always jinx mysef if I don't :D ), but when I decide to build another computer I will have to use another monitor temporary to install the os and drivers.
 
I use the Sony, and it works great. Solid construction quality. Very nice color reproduction and contrast. The ECOS feature is very slick... what it basically does is let you, at the touch of a button, dim the screen down to Mid (or Low), cutting power consumption by quite a bit. Useful for energy cost-conscious people when dealing with word processing or other tasks that don't need the screen to be at full brightness. If you're dealing with Photoshop, playing games, or watching movies, then you can turn ECOS to High -- at that setting, the images looks rich and vibrant. Or you can turn ECOS to auto, in which case, it will automatically adjust itself to match the brightness of the room (so that the monitor isn't blindingly bright at night, especially if you're in a dark room).

I've no experience with either the Apple or Dell, so I can't comment on those. But from what I've heard, they're really great monitors too.

Guess you can't really go wrong here. Just go with personal preference then. ;)
 
The 2405 is IMHO a better screen than the apple... They do not use the same panel as somebody claimed. The Apple uses an LG.Philips panel and the Dell uses a Samsung panel and is 1" bigger.
Apple lists their contrast at 400:1. The Dell is listed as 1000:1 and measures in reviews between 750:1 and 950:1.
The Dell also has the media-card-reader, which might be useful, but not firewire.

I'd get the (probably) upcoming Samsung 244T, which should be based on the same panel as the Dell. The 243T only has a 500:1 contrast ratio and has a 25ms refresh rate (much higher in practice) as opposed to the overdrive on the Dell which keeps it between 12 and 20ms.

EDIT: Just re-read the OP, and the Dell should still be the winner in the colour category since it uses a S-PVA panel. The Apple might have more correct colours out of the box, but after calibration the Dell will certainly be the winner.
 
Pepster64 said:
I have an Apple 23" HD Cinema display and I haven't notice any color difference or the pink problem others have posted. I really like this monitor; however, the only small gripe that I have is that it doesn't show by boot-up screen information when I boot my PC computer up. This is ok because I have my computer up and running fine (knocking on wood as I type this for I always jinx mysef if I don't :D ), but when I decide to build another computer I will have to use another monitor temporary to install the os and drivers.

I have one as well. No pink, no light bleeds, no dead pixels. But if you've been around this forum long enough you'll notice an incredible amount of complaints about Dell screens but they have good customer service, when they speak english.

Everyone has a different experience and you can't go wrong with either.
 
Both of your 2 choices are great, you cant go wrong with either, if you get a good enough monitor you shouldnt even need customer service!
 
deathstar550 said:
I use the Sony, and it works great. Solid construction quality. Very nice color reproduction and contrast. The ECOS feature is very slick... what it basically does is let you, at the touch of a button, dim the screen down to Mid (or Low), cutting power consumption by quite a bit. Useful for energy cost-conscious people when dealing with word processing or other tasks that don't need the screen to be at full brightness. If you're dealing with Photoshop, playing games, or watching movies, then you can turn ECOS to High -- at that setting, the images looks rich and vibrant. Or you can turn ECOS to auto, in which case, it will automatically adjust itself to match the brightness of the room (so that the monitor isn't blindingly bright at night, especially if you're in a dark room).

I've no experience with either the Apple or Dell, so I can't comment on those. But from what I've heard, they're really great monitors too.

Guess you can't really go wrong here. Just go with personal preference then. ;)

It seems that Sony has more features than Apple :D
 
TechStuey05 said:
I would go for the Samsung’s 243T which beats out both monitors in color reproduction

Yes, it's also a good choice. However, Samsung HK hasn't imported this model. :(
Thanks for your opinion, Tech. ;)
 
After considering for 2days, I have bought Sony 23" LCD. Thx for all of your kindness opinion.

Today I have received my 23" Mon, after switching on the Monitor, I found that on the edges of the MON (Left and Right), some of the colour turned to a little yellowish :confused: (especially in the white color).

Does everyone using Sony 23" LCD Mon have this problem? Does my Monitor have problems?? :confused:
 
Yellowish? At least it's not the equiv of one stop higher (in photography speak) on the edges as it is with the Dell 2405. Impossible to do photo editing with it.

As for yellow edges, it's a result of problems with the LG-Philips screens. Apple have fixed those issues now so I would presume so have Sony. See what Sony has to say - does it bother you that much?
 
The Real Zardoz said:
Yellowish? At least it's not the equiv of one stop higher (in photography speak) on the edges as it is with the Dell 2405. Impossible to do photo editing with it.

As for yellow edges, it's a result of problems with the LG-Philips screens. Apple have fixed those issues now so I would presume so have Sony. See what Sony has to say - does it bother you that much?

I will phone Sony tomorrow as I received the Monitor in the late afternoon.

To be frank, it is not quite observable if you are concentrated in the middle of the mon. However, when you look at the Left's and the Right's edges, you will find a little yellowish. :(
I am not sure whether it is only my Monitor's problem >.< .
 
Xeon22 said:
Dell 2405, why? Uses the same panel as the apple, so as far as the actual picture goes, they are very close but half the price for the dell.

lol what a noob.

how can they use the same panel of the apple is 23", and the dell is 24"?

not to mention one is a samsung, and the other is an LG philips panel.
 
I find that it is not the panel problem.
It is the backlight problem.
When the backlight turn to 100, the yellowish colour becomes disappear. (But still have very little in the edges.)
However, when the backlight scale decreases, the yellowish colour becomes more and nore visible. :(
 
Back
Top