• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

23" IPS with LED Backlight?

adamj023

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
151
The NEC 23" is 28 watts in eco mode and thats with reduced backlighting. I want to minimize my energy costs with the purchase of this new monitor as much as possible.

The other models have 20 watt with greater total brightness which have the LED's installed.

Unfortunately I dont see any IPS 23" monitors with LED Backlighting. The NEC's claim to fame was the 1st IPS 23" and also had energy efficiency features built in.

Are 23" IPS with LED Backlighting on the horizon? Im surprised NEC didn't include an LED Backlighting with it. I know LED is due on other models but I don't believe any of the ones with LED have IPS panel.
 
No, not interested in Apple displays.

I don't even like OEM/ODM's so much. I like Japanese brands. Unfortunately Hitachi doesn't do LCD's anymore.

NEC and Viewsonic seem like the only 2 players left from the Japanese lot in the moderate pricing category so it looks like I will go with one of these 2.
 
I don't know of any LED backlit monitors coming out soon that have IPS panels. The only one out that isn't considered a expensive $1000+ professional model is the Apple 24" Cinema display. I've been holding out myself to see if something else gets announced but I have seen anything yet. I might just give in and get the 23" NEC EA231WMi even though it is not LED backlit.
 
LED backlighting, as implemented on most LCDs right now, offer no advantages over CCFL based on various user reviews on this forum (besides being cheaper I guess). You'd be better off just removing 'LED backlight' from your list of requirements, you'll actually find a monitor that way.
 
No, not interested in Apple displays.

I don't even like OEM/ODM's so much. I like Japanese brands.
Maybe you should have put that in the title or your post then. Any other insignificant requirements that your magical non-existant 23" IPS LED should have? Webcam and USB ports? Will you only accept a matte bezel or is glossy ok for you? By the way, whatever you buy will most likely be made in China.
 
Last edited:
Yea that Apple 24" is just about everything and you don't want it because it's not a Japanese brand?

I'm just not sure why the brand really matters or where it's from.
 
I have this Hitachi monitor CRT for over 10 years. People I know bought loads of other brand monitors which broke on them and one thing was in common, they were all chinese or taiwanese manufacturers. This was a CRT tube technology monitor and it is over 10 years old and is still going strong today.

I have had excellent results with Panasonic and Hitachi. Panasonic had a Viewsonic brand at the time when I bought my Panasonic which was also manufactured by Matsushita. Hitachi doesn't have anything to offer.

NEC is Japanese brand as is Viewsonic and I have heard excellent things about NEC's. So both of these vendors fit the bill.

Eizo is Japanese and is very expensive. Lacie is also very pricey but it is actually French and American and I am not sure about the brand. Iilama had a 22" IPS for $700+ which is Japanese but is outside of my price range and too small.

Viewsonic + NEC are the only brands as of right now I will consider. I do not do Taiwan or Chinese firms for display technologies. I won't even do OEM/ODM brands which are made by Taiwanese/Chinese manufacturers.

I understand that Apple Cinema displays are outsourced and the truth is, the longevity of the device is in my honest opinion suspect. In fact a quick google search shows loads of pink apple display problems on the Apple Cinema displays.

Japanese are the leaders with the know how, knowledge and experience on display technologies and have excellent quality of workmanship and yes I am fully aware that LG makes the panels.

Japanese brands are still superior to an LG or Philips made model if they even had IPS 23" models at this time. I keep my monitors a long long time if they remain in good working order and longevity to me is very important.

NEC vs Viewsonic: NEC has displayport which is more futureproof along with DVI and seems to hold to a better environmental record and probably consumers a little less energy. As far as manufacturing quality differences, I cant say but I think both of these will last a long time.

I just would prefer LED Backlighting but I may just go along with the NEC and use ECO mode so I get the benefits of the IPS Panel. I can't wait forever and I don't know when an LED Backlighting version will come out.

NEC frontrunner as of today. Still haven't pulled the trigger and bought one yet.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top