• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

23" - Dell U2312 vs Eizo FS2333

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
3,020
I'm in market for new small IPS display - I can't afford the 27" screens and I won't risk my money buying those shady Korean monitors.

So here are the two contenders:
Eizo - as always perfect colours, great calibration of the box, quality, 8-bit IPS.
Dell - quality, thought 6-bit IPS... and price, price that is half of the Eizo.

Will I really notice the difference after calibration between those two screens, and is it worth to pay twice for Eizo?
 
After proper calibration you probably couldn't tell any difference. But the Eizo does have a lighter AG coating AFAIK which you probably would notice. If it is worth the price is up to you only, I would say order the Dell and see if you like it enough to keep it.
 
Apart from calbiration the difference is mostly determind by colour gamut. I think the Eizo might be a bit better there, not least because it's newer. But I think later this year Dell is releasing an all-new series.
But I would compare directly in any case. For example, I own the Eizo, and though the colours are good, it has very idiosynchratic saturation that I would say is worse than many IPS-Panels (and especially VA-Panels). Colours are pretty good but have no real vibrancy, they're kind of dull and stay in the backgrund, whereas a good panel has real consistency to its picture. I would approximately describe it as the difference between drawing with a coloured pencil and a high quality photography or magazine cover (not in terms of realism or detail but the image surface). I know this is mostly lauded as a quality and sometimes described as "plasticity" (if it gets noted at all), and there can also be made an argument that it is better for PC use, but I think the latter is much better.
The reason is probably that Eizo uses a PLS-Panel, although that's supposed to be equal or better to IPS, and maybe the high reaction time also makes demands in that direction.
Edit: Note, I'm not speaking about glosse or matte per se. These seem to be just external measures to enhance a natural property of colour reproduction in different panels. It's not easy to explain and almost never accounted for in reviews (a few mention colour vibrancy and the like as opposed to just naturalness though). I'm just talking about personal, unprofessional experience, of course.
 
Last edited:
you're gonig to want to look at the asus vg23ah too, ncx really loved it in his review
 
Back
Top