23" 2048X1152 (16X9) for $240 CAD?

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
This monitors use is primarily for gaming but this guy wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a $200 TN and a $500 AS-IPS. So we're pretty stricktly into cost/square inch, and maybe dot-pitch in the 20-22" (or 23"?) inch range.

My friends ancient 17" finally crapped out on him, and NCIX is selling a wierd samsung (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38254&vpn=LS23MYZKFV/XAC&manufacture=Samsung&promoid=1046) for $230. sound like a good idea?

The idea is to have it bought, picked up, and installed by tomorrow night. We've got a bestbuy, futureshop, and cost-co local, but keep in mind these are canadian flavors, that sweet deal you saw in a pamphlet doesnt apply up here. Any recomendations?

1920*1200 is 97.5% the pixel count of 2048*1152

Other than that, if he doesn't want to take the time to assess the details, he may as well get a Joesonic.

I actually just walked into MicroCenter yesterday to check out some of the new monitors, they had this one on display. As long as you set a higher DPI (the monitor is 100dpi at it's native res) in your OS you won't run into any issues with readability.

Readability not withstanding, I was taken back by the completely washed out look that this monitor had in comparison to everything else. Even when considering that it was probably in a pool of wide gamut, oversaturated screens it looked pretty bad. I played around with the controls a bit (touch sensitive menu controls = the terrible) to see if I could fix it and was unsuccessful. The contrast control wasn't even changeable from the panel's settings (!!!). I did manage to make it look subjectively better using the ImageMagic stuff in the color menus, but it still wasn't as good as its nearest neighbors. I really hope that was a unique case with the demo unit there, if all of those monitors are like that I don't think Samsung will sell too many.

I was much more impressed by the 21.5" Viewsonic that did 1080P: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116396 sorry it looks like ncix doesn't have them, but they have a number of other 21.5" ones that do 1080P that probably use the same panel behind them. I've always gone for the lower dot pitch monitors myself, 0.25 is about as low as it gets on LCD panels that I've seen - not in a laptop anyway. When I had to let my old CRT Samsung Syncmaster 700NF go it was a sad day. 17" of flat CRT goodness that maxed out at 2048x1536 ftw - an absolutely ludicrous 0.1687 dot pitch, 150dpi. Show me an LCD that can do that with nice PQ and I'll buy it in a heart beat.

Last edited:
Back