• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

22" vs 24"?

Ravane

n00b
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
9
I'm planning to purchase a new monitor soon, but I have a dilemma. I originally intended to get a 24" monitor and be done with it, but I've noticed that there's a huge difference in price between a 22" and a 24". I could get a 22" for £200 ($400) or a 24" for £700 ($1400). As you can see, there's a $1000 difference - for 2 inches.

I'm a budding hardware enthusiast, but my common sense is screaming out at me that $1000 for another 2" is just not worth it. I'll be running a 8800GTX and E6600 processor, so I won't be held back by hardware or anything, but I just really can't get over the difference in price. It's not like I have tons of money floating around anyway, and it is going to take me time to save up to buy it (unless I get it on credit, which I might).

So basically I'm asking if any of you guys know whether the $1000 extra is justified or not. Perhaps there is some revolutionary hardware leap between the 22" and 24" that I'm unaware of? Of course, I understand it means a higher resolution, probably better colours and contrast, etc... but will it be that noticeable?

I mean, the way I see it is, I could buy a 22" now for £200, which is still a huge improvement over my 17", give it a few months, and if I'm really craving for more, spend the extra £500 on a 24" which should be far more widespread (and hopefully far cheaper) by then. I should also mention that this monitor is mostly for PC gaming (World of Warcraft, City of Heroes in particular), but I will probably use it for console gaming from time to time.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
 
Its not the 2 inches your buying, its the resolution (and maybe better quality) 1680x1050(20-22) compaired to 1920x1200(24).

Up to you really, both are probably nice screens.
 
It costs disproportionally more to manufacture hi-res LCD panels that are free of defects (or at least within specified limits for dead pixels etc), hence the big jump in price.

If your main interest is gaming, and the 22" panel is big enough for you, you probably won't gain much by stepping up to the higher resolution. Your graphics card will have an easier time as well - yes, an 8800GTX can handle current games at 1920x1200, but I don't imagine that situation will last forever.
 
You have to consider more than just the size....all the 22" panels that I'm aware of are using TN panels whereas the 24 inchers use S-PVA or P-MVA technology. Also the 24" models tend to have more extras like additional inputs and 1:1 pixel mapping...not to mention being capable of 1080p resolutions. I also don't see quite the $1000 difference in prices here in the states....more like 300-$400.
 
I agree with the last post. its more then just 2 inches :)

check out the benq thread... that is a nice 24inch monitor. its worth it :)
 
Not having a TN panel is worth the money alone...even if it was the same size. Paying extra for a better panel is a wise investment. Most of the 22 inch monitors use the TN panels where the 24 inch monitors use the P-MVA and S-PVA.

TN film panels are pretty much garbage in my opinion, bad color uniformity, huge back light bleeding. higher risk of dead pixels and bad viewing angles. The reason these things keep getting produced is because they have a faster response time and are much cheaper to make.

It's not worth the drop in Picture quality though.
 
Thanks for the responses so far. I was tempted to take the easy way out and go for the 22", but you have helped me see the light. I knew there had to be some sort of reason for the extra pricing, but I also know that manufacturers like to over-price sometimes, and I wanted to make sure this wasn't the case as I don't have the money to waste on limited benefits.

Thankfully I can submit to the enthusiast within and guiltlessly go for the 24" I've dreamed of! I'll probably for one of the new 24" BenQ's - they seem yummy.
 
eh, Skip them both and go 30" :p
Though, everyone is right is only 2 inches, and it wont be a huge difference, but there is a big difference in price
 
I just bought the Dell 24" widescreen and love it. It's on sale now too. Also Dell will be bringing out a 27" model soon that everyone is looking forward to.
 
Back
Top