21" crt problem with phase test

im using a dg45id motherboard with onboard graphics

should i get a new graphics card for this monitor?

or are there some software settings? this is a 21" nokia 445 pro with sony trinitron tube

i tried connecting it to different laptop same result the moire pattern appears in the test. the sharpness problem seems to be linked with moire and phase when i adjust the moire settings to around 18% the moire disappears and phase jumping is close to nil but the sharpness of text is reduced.

so is there someway to get rid of the moire pattern (rainbow) at 0% setting??

I think that test is only valid for LCD monitors. I get a lot of banding and moire on that test on my FW900 which otherwise runs perfectly fine. I don't use moire cancellation on it at all.

What exactly is the problem with your monitor?

I think that test is only valid for LCD monitors. I get a lot of banding and moire on that test on my FW900 which otherwise runs perfectly fine. I don't use moire cancellation on it at all.

What exactly is the problem with your monitor?

thanks for confirming that. the text on my screen is soft on higher refresh rates. and when going higher resolution it almost has a alight fur coat around it. just that slight bit of sharpness missing which makes it icky to use.

Well, some suggestions I can offer:

First, try a thick, high quality shielded VGA cable.

Make sure the brightness is set properly and the contrast is not too high as this can cause blooming which vastly reduces text sharpness.

It looks like that model doesn't have convergence controls, this can also contribute to bad focus. Check with the crosshatch pattern in EIZO Monitor Test.

That program also has a focus test pattern which may be your last resort if you are going to have to open the monitor to adjust the focus using the knobs on the flyback transformer. If this hasn't been done in years it probably should and you can expect a vast improvement - focus tends to drift out even over a few months, let alone years.

However it can be quite dangerous and you must be really careful, as touching the wrong things inside can kill you. I successfully did this on both my CRT's, but accidents can happen, and it wouldn't be good if you (or anyone else) fried themselves, keep that in mind.

Lastly, some loss of sharpness is to be expected with very high refresh rates, even the very high end models will look a tad bit more fuzzy as the vertical and horizontal scan rates go up, this is normal (happens both on my FW900 and EIZO T966).

Well, some suggestions I can offer:

First, try a thick, high quality shielded VGA cable.

Make sure the brightness is set properly and the contrast is not too high as this can cause blooming which vastly reduces text sharpness.

It looks like that model doesn't have convergence controls, this can also contribute to bad focus. Check with the crosshatch pattern in EIZO Monitor Test.

That program also has a focus test pattern which may be your last resort if you are going to have to open the monitor to adjust the focus using the knobs on the flyback transformer. If this hasn't been done in years it probably should and you can expect a vast improvement - focus tends to drift out even over a few months, let alone years.

However it can be quite dangerous and you must be really careful, as touching the wrong things inside can kill you. I successfully did this on both my CRT's, but accidents can happen, and it wouldn't be good if you (or anyone else) fried themselves, keep that in mind.

Lastly, some loss of sharpness is to be expected with very high refresh rates, even the very high end models will look a tad bit more fuzzy as the vertical and horizontal scan rates go up, this is normal (happens both on my FW900 and EIZO T966).

thanks for the quick response i used that test everything is ok except the 7 8 and 9 tests which have some rainbow patterns and distortions and the 19th test which has trailing on 60 hz and 85 hz for 800 pix/sec and 400 pix/sec but is ok on 120 hz.

if this is normal then ill just let it be for now.

Back