20TB RAID with Truecrypt

Hello

Would it be possible to setup RAID(20tb) with TrueCrypt?

I assume there maybe penalties to pay for this but I do not have much experience in either.

Thanks

What kind of RAID? You can expect large performance decreases if encrypting an entire RAID5/6 volume.

Anyway, you would have no problem as I see it encrypting the file system. But you're encrypting the filesystem, not the RAID array.

What kind of RAID? You can expect large performance decreases if encrypting an entire RAID5/6 volume.

Anyway, you would have no problem as I see it encrypting the file system. But you're encrypting the filesystem, not the RAID array.

By encrypting the file system and not the RAID array I assume you would have to encrypt each hard drive? If not then how would some of the drives be protected?

No no. I'm saying whether it be hardware RAID or software RAID, you encrypt the "drive" that's presented to you after RAID settings. But you're really encrypting the file system, not the RAID. Was just pointing out the correct technical term for others in the future that might read this.

heh?

He could do whatever he wanted.

He could truecrypt each disk, then raid them, then format it.

He could raid the disks, then truecrypt it, the format it.

He could even, raid the disks, format it, then make a several truecrypt files.

The issue I hear with truecrypt files is, it's not support to make them overly large, I forget the exact limit, but something like 2tb or so.

I have done raid + truecrypt + filesystem, to hold backups, where I didn't want them left around for anyone to grab.

heh?

He could do whatever he wanted.

He could truecrypt each disk, then raid them, then format it.

He could raid the disks, then truecrypt it, the format it.

He could even, raid the disks, format it, then make a several truecrypt files.

The issue I hear with truecrypt files is, it's not support to make them overly large, I forget the exact limit, but something like 2tb or so.

I have done raid + truecrypt + filesystem, to hold backups, where I didn't want them left around for anyone to grab.

What I'm saying is that the array is not encrypted. To encrypt an array, the RAID controller would need to be doing encryption. That doesn't exist.

IMO he should just create a encrypted container on on the file system.

I think tpm will help out in encrypting file system. I know hp makes P830 that support encrypting raid.

Hi, there...

I'm running a 38TB RAID6 with 16x3TB Seagate since about 1,5 years. Got 2-3 Rebuilds and all worked fine...

Performance is still nice... I'm working with a simple Xeon 1220L and it goes over 500MB/s... with expected CPU Load but that's okay...

You can setup ZFS on top of full disk encryption like dm-crypt/luks (linux) or Geli (BSD). TrueCrypt would probably, but I'm not sure why you would go that route...

Back