20pin, 20+4pin, 24 pin....?!?!?!? :S

Seufari

Gawd
Hey, I am thinking of upgrading my mobo and need to know if I can use my current power supply. I currently have a Asrock 939dual-sataII and am thinking of going with an asus a8n or that evga board included in that 7800gt deal. Will my power supply be able to work with these newer motherboards?

Thanks for the help...

would be useful if we knew what PSU you have :)

also, IIANM, 20pin = older PSU's, 20+4 = older PSU's with adapter and 24 pin are the latest PSU's...

Seufari said:
Hey, I am thinking of upgrading my mobo and need to know if I can use my current power supply. I currently have a Asrock 939dual-sataII and am thinking of going with an asus a8n or that evga board included in that 7800gt deal. Will my power supply be able to work with these newer motherboards?

Thanks for the help...

The ASRock has a 20 pin connector, which is odd for a 939. I assume you have a somewhat-modern supply, so it should have a 24 pin, or a 20+4. IT should work with the Asus or eVGA boards.

yeah, I have an Ultra 600w PSU... not sure of much more than that...

it has two connections that connect to the motherboard. One seems to be about 20-pins and the other is 4. Does that mean my psu is 20+4pin?

Also is there an adapter I can get to get it to work with the newest motherboards?

Thanks

Is it the old school X-Finity, with clear windows on the side, and 2 80mm's? If that's the case, you have a 20 pin only. If it's newer, chrome finish, single large fan, flexforce cables, it's the X-Finity 2.0. It's 20+4.

The 20 pin only's will work in 24 pin boards, no adaptor needed, but it is not recommended. Just plug the connector in, leaving 4 pins not plugged in on the motherboard side.

it seems it is the X-finity you mentioned. What are the negatives involved in using the 20pin PSUs in 24pin systems?

Seufari said:
it seems it is the X-finity you mentioned.

He mentioned two.

Bbq said:
Is it the old school X-Finity, with clear windows on the side

That's one.

Bbq said:
If it's newer, chrome finish, single large fan, flexforce cables, it's the X-Finity 2.0. It's 20+4.

That's two.

Simply put, if you have the silver FlexForce cables, you have a 24-pin connector where the last four pins "snap off" for older boards.

Seufari said:
What are the negatives involved in using the 20pin PSUs in 24pin systems?

Resistance is added by the connectors on the modular interface. But if you're only using one video card, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The most voltage drop I could measure going through the adapter after an 20" run of ATX cable was .1V.

Personally, I'd try the board with only the 20-pin initially, especially if you're using a video card with it's own power connector (like the 7800GT.) I've found that the second 12V lead is only under any kind of load when the PCI-e card has to depend on just the board for it's source of 12V.

If he's got an Infinity 600W it's going to have dual 80's no matter what. The difference will be the finish and the cables.

jonnyGURU said:
He mentioned two.

Whoops, I was talking about the old school one with the side window and two fans...
So sorry but I am still a little unsure. I plan on using a video card with its own power dongle (7800gt) I dont need an adapter and I just plug the 20pin cord into the 24pin receptacle?

Yep. Plug it in leaving four pins on the board exposed.

jonnyGURU said:
Yep. Plug it in leaving four pins on the board exposed.

Which pins should be left exposed? Left, or right (assuming the locking clip is the "top")?

I can't picture the board in my head, but the pin ends are shaped like "D's" that face in different directions, so it can really only plug in one way. You'd need to seriously force the connector if you were to plug it in with the wrong four hanging off.

jonnyGURU said:
I can't picture the board in my head, but the pin ends are shaped like "D's" that face in different directions, so it can really only plug in one way. You'd need to seriously force the connector if you were to plug it in with the wrong four hanging off.

Yep. It's idiot proof. Open holes to the left.

Back