20mm Ammo Can Case

monk3y

Limp Gawd
Ive decided for my next computer build I will be using an ammo can for the base for my case. Ive done all the measurements and the can best suited for this build is a 20mm ammo can, So today I went down to the flea market and sure enough I found one. Today I started cleaning it up and tomorrow I will begin the sanding. I am still working on the layout. I will continue to update this thread as I progress.

I WILL UPDATE THE FIRST POST AS I PROGRESS

UPDATE: 11/14/07
Well I have most of the exterior sanding done, now to do the interior. I am currently working out how the main components plus the water cooling system, Any ideas? I was thinking a removable cage but I would like to here someone else's opinion and there are new pics below

UPDATE:11/15/07 I've just purchased the metal for the frame and I will be priming the can tonight, I have to wait till tomorrow to start building the frame cause I didnt have the money on me for the rivet tool

UPDATE:11/17/07 I have the frame about 50% completed and My progress is halted until i can get more L stock

UPDATE:11/17/07 Well, I just fucked up half the frame so I have to start over, so I just screwed up about $20 worth of metal, all because I don't have all the right tools

UPDATE: The frame is about 70% complete, I got a really good deal on a case so I picked it up and tore out the parts I needed. I need one more piece of L stock, I will start mocking up the internal lay out today.

UPDATE:12/09/07 sorry I have been busy with school, so I haven't been able to up date this much. My camera is MIA so I can show my progress but I have completed the basic frame and I'm working on mounting the motherboard tray and power supply now. My budget has been cut by $250 so water cooling this rig will have to come later, unless I want to switch from a 8800gtx to a 8800gt, (either way I will be stepping up to a 9800gtx upon their release in February) so I have to work out something for increased air flow. Tomorrow I intend on ordering my fans, power supply, and misc. hardware for the top panel.

UPDATE:12/16/07 I may have to put this project on the back burner if i cant get the right tools soon. If I put a hold on the project it would no longer be my main gaming pc, it would be a file server.

Can dimensions: 17.25"L x 7.25"W x 14"D

P1010255.jpg

P1010260.jpg

P1010261.jpg

P1010263.jpg

P1010262.jpg

P1010273.jpg

P1010274.jpg

P1010282.jpg

P1010281.jpg

NEW PICS

P1010283.jpg

P1010284.jpg

P1010285.jpg

P1010286.jpg

P1010287.jpg

P1010288.jpg

P1010289.jpg

P1010290.jpg

P1010291.jpg

this looks like it should be really cool, keep up the good work!

Looks like a nice project, do you plan on repainting the ammo case or leave it for the war torn look?

heh, nice choice.

I've got a deactivated 20mm round here at home and those things will eat you up alive, you gonna make the computer do the same? :p (If you catch my point)

well, It's to late for that, I already primered it, which I kind of regret, But oh well. But it will most likely be painted olive green or something similar.

well, It's to late for that, I already primered it, which I kind of regret, But oh well. But it will most likely be painted olive green or something similar.

You could always get some army stencils and spray paint some wording from the original box onto it.

That idea had popped into my mind, I will put the wording on but maybe the computer specs rather then the original writing, Well I have begun constructing the frame and should have that done by sunday but sost likely sooner

Lol my uncle saw me modding a pc case, and then he said he would get me an ammo can so i could mod it into a case, but i never seen a ammo can, but i wanted to try, but long story short, he never got me one, now i really want one.

UPDATE:11/17/07 I have the frame about 50% completed and My progress is halted until i can get more L stock

Update:11/17/07 Well, I just fucked up half the frame so I have to start over, so I just screwed up about $20 worth of metal, all because I don't have all the right tools

Ive thought about this for a while but never had the time/money/pashents to work on it. I love the idea though,

I think a inner frame (regardless of how many times you turn your L stock to scrap) is the way to go, if you need to work on it (or when) you'll want to be abel to pull it out and actualy get to your parts, (i woudlnt want to try to move a jumper on anything once it was instaled in there).

What are you doing for an optical drive? and about the mobo conections, and alike. Im just wondering about how much of the case you can save and how much is going to be cut away. I would go for a slim slot load optical drive so its as small a hole as possible, but thats me and the ideas ive had rumbling around my head for a while.

good luck, happy modding, i lookforward to seeing more.

Monkey, what are you using to attach your L stocks together? if your using screws, i find it is a bittttt tricky to get all the holes nice and lined up. I started using J-B Kwik(a J-B Weld Product that sets in about 4 minutes) to adhere all my aluminum L stock. Not sure if this is your problem, but just a tip.

well, I needed to get more l stock anyways and I think I think I'll try that jb weld idea And I'm using rivets

I'm picking up more L stock today, I should have the frame done by tomorrow

UPDATE: The frame is about 70% complete, I got a really good deal on a case so I picked it up and tore out the parts I needed. I need one more piece of L stock, I will start mocking up the internal lay out today.

NEW PICS ON FIRST PAGE

Aw, did you paint it black? Is that what im seeing? Kind of looses that vintage look when its not all dirty green.

the way it was when it got prevented me from doing that, It will be re painted green though

I apologize for not updating this lately, I need just a 1 more piece of L stock to complete the frame, but I am also having trouble with the mother board tray, I have a case to use but nothing to cut it with

a while ago in the army navy store I saw a PERFECTLY sized ammo case that would work without a hitch. Never got around to it though, I don't have any PCs to put into it. Eventually I'll do it I guess.

good luck, get it finished :)

I am having more issues, I dont have anything to cut the mobo tray with unless I want to use a hack saw :(

EDIT: BTW the ammo can is primer grey right now

thank you, well the glue on the basic frame is drying so I will post the end result tomorrow

common man, where is some more pics, I have been watching this for some time now and really havent got to see much.:rolleyes:... I am sure most of us would like to see some pics even if they are of stuff that is messed up...:D

cus Thomas Edison once said when asked why did he make so many different kinds of light bulbs, and he replied " I didnt fail at making a light bulb I just found 2000 different way NOT to make a light bulb"

Thought a little bit of motovation will help, even though the qoute might not be exact. :D

common monk3y, where is some more pics, I have been watching this for some time now and really havent got to see much.:rolleyes:... I am sure most of us would like to see some pics even if they are of stuff that is messed up...:D

cus Thomas Edison once said when asked why did he make so many different kinds of light bulbs, and he replied " I didnt fail at making a light bulb I just found 2000 different way NOT to make a light bulb"

Thought a little bit of motovation will help, even though the qoute might not be exact. :D

Back