20GB PS3 NOT Discontinued

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
We reported on a rumor last week stating that perhaps Sony had quit making the 20GB model PS3. This has not only proven to be untrue, but it has Sony reporting that stores have simply been requesting a much higher supply of the 60GB model.

"The 20GB model of PS3 is available in North America, along with the 60GB model. While we make it available to retailers, they are the ones who ultimately place the order for what they want to sell, based on consumer demand. Overwhelmingly, retailers have been requesting the 60GB model, the mix has been about 80 percent 60GB, 20 percent 20GB retailer orders. So, the reason you might not be seeing the 20 GB is simply that retailers have been ordering more of the 60 GB unit."

Crazy, Circuit City is showing its Out of Program in our systems. Wonder if they completely pulled it or are going to bring it back eventually. Makes some sense though, we got 11 60 gb's in over 10 days ago and we still have 3 sitting here.

I wish Sony would have done more to tell people that they can upgrade the HDD of the system. I actually bought the 20GB model b/c I had no interest in the wifi (I wanted a solid and stable net connection) & could care less about the chrome highlights.

I bought a 100GB HDD drive from Newegg for $100 to upgrade the system the day I bought it...and it was super easy to swap out and made more sense then buying the 60GB model.

I bought a 100GB HDD drive from Newegg for $100 to upgrade the system the day I bought it...and it was super easy to swap out and made more sense then buying the 60GB model.

You know, it makes no sense to me why they use 20 and 60GB drives.. when much larger drives don't cost that much more. Idiotic.

You know, it makes no sense to me why they use 20 and 60GB drives.. when much larger drives don't cost that much more. Idiotic.

Hence the reason they're not producing the 20GB models anymore, or at least, are producing 99% of the 60GB models.

If someone is going to pay for a 20GB model, they'll most likely pay for a 60GB model if they can't find a 20GB. The 90% of the difference in price is profit for Sony.

I wish Sony would have done more to tell people that they can upgrade the HDD of the system. I actually bought the 20GB model b/c I had no interest in the wifi (I wanted a solid and stable net connection) & could care less about the chrome highlights.

I think Sony is the LAST company that is going to inform you that they're ripping you off on the 60GB model. Besides, replacement harddrives are just an impulse buy. People who really think it through just buy another system with a 60GB HD when they want to upgrade.

Another load of crap from Sony's marketing team. During the course of my job I service about 25 retail stores that sell PS3s, and not a single one of them has seen a 20gb model since launch.

I think it's much more likely Sony is losing more money on the 20gb models than the 60gb models, and is not producing the 20gb models for the time being.

I wanna buy a PS3, I really do. I like to get new video game systems when they come out, I'm not that much of a gamer but I love to try new things out. I remember getting my 360 and opening the box, same with my PS1, it's just something about hooking it up to the TV and trying the first game that makes it fun.

But for once I've found myself unremotely interested in purchasing a PS3, I wouldn't buy one if it was selling for $5, because its basically like giving me another free 360. For a 360 owner what in the world could be possibly attractive about the PS3 right now. 95% of the games out on it are the same games that are on the 360, what happened to new games. I mean Im I going to get a PS3 to buy the same exact looking games I already have on the 360? As far as I know the PS3 only has two unique games out there right now. Resistance and Motorsport. And I'm not about to spend all that money for 2 games.

I want a PS3, but being a 360 owner, I mean I would stare at its sleek look, and that would be it. Sony needs to put out exclusive games, something that would make me want to buy it, games that arent on the 360. Give us some new things. In some way this cross platforming is killing console sales because it is making consoles less alike. With the graphical power of the 360 and PS3 they are almost idenitcal at this point. If graphics cannot separate like they did on PS1 and 64, then games have to. Back in the day the 64 had games the PS1 didnt have, the PS1 had games the 64 didnt have. PS2 had games xbox didn't have, so did xbox. That is what made me purchase each one of those systems. Individuality.Now Things are too alike. These are 2 of the same systems with different colors basically. Until PS3 gets some individuality I can't see the reason a 360 owner could get one.

Well cross-platform gaming is good simply because I don't want to have to spend $600 just to play one game when the system I have can do just as well.

I wanna buy a PS3, I really do. I like to get new video game systems when they come out, I'm not that much of a gamer but I love to try new things out. I remember getting my 360 and opening the box, same with my PS1, it's just something about hooking it up to the TV and trying the first game that makes it fun.

But for once I've found myself unremotely interested in purchasing a PS3, I wouldn't buy one if it was selling for $5, because its basically like giving me another free 360. For a 360 owner what in the world could be possibly attractive about the PS3 right now. 95% of the games out on it are the same games that are on the 360, what happened to new games. I mean Im I going to get a PS3 to buy the same exact looking games I already have on the 360? As far as I know the PS3 only has two unique games out there right now. Resistance and Motorsport. And I'm not about to spend all that money for 2 games.

I want a PS3, but being a 360 owner, I mean I would stare at its sleek look, and that would be it. Sony needs to put out exclusive games, something that would make me want to buy it, games that arent on the 360. Give us some new things. In some way this cross platforming is killing console sales because it is making consoles less alike. With the graphical power of the 360 and PS3 they are almost idenitcal at this point. If graphics cannot separate like they did on PS1 and 64, then games have to. Back in the day the 64 had games the PS1 didnt have, the PS1 had games the 64 didnt have. PS2 had games xbox didn't have, so did xbox. That is what made me purchase each one of those systems. Individuality.Now Things are too alike. These are 2 of the same systems with different colors basically. Until PS3 gets some individuality I can't see the reason a 360 owner could get one.
the reason they dont make that many exclusive games is because of the game devolpers, they just want more money so they make it for more platforms. and they should make gta only for ps3

I know that there is a demand for the 20gb, for one simple reason- the HT crowd. Most of them that have been looking at the PS3 from the standpoint of a cheap and good bluray player have been picking up the 20gb version. Check out some of the enthusiast forums and you'll see what I mean. I have two friends who both did that because gaming is secondary for them to watching movies in HD.

I know that there is a demand for the 20gb, for one simple reason- the HT crowd. Most of them that have been looking at the PS3 from the standpoint of a cheap and good bluray player have been picking up the 20gb version. Check out some of the enthusiast forums and you'll see what I mean. I have two friends who both did that because gaming is secondary for them to watching movies in HD.

If/when they add upconverting it will be quite a nice media player. I hooked up an external drive to my 20 this weekend loaded with music and movies. Still not as easy or well thought out as my old htpc, but it is getting there.

I think the 20gb ordering/production comes down to two factors.

1 - Retailers make more off of the 60gb
2 - Sony makes more off the 60gb

I personally think that if people want the 20gb they should be able to get it, but I understand why availability is limited.

If/when they add upconverting it will be quite a nice media player. I hooked up an external drive to my 20 this weekend loaded with music and movies. Still not as easy or well thought out as my old htpc, but it is getting there.

I think the 20gb ordering/production comes down to two factors.

1 - Retailers make more off of the 60gb
2 - Sony makes more off the 60gb

I personally think that if people want the 20gb they should be able to get it, but I understand why availability is limited.

edit - point two should be Sony makes more (loses less) off the 60gb

the price difference between the two must be F all. not being able to buy one from my favorite online stores is proof enough. I have no idea how much space I even need for game playing on my ps3. is 20 enough or do I need 60, I have no clue.

what is the price diff between the two? I've only seen the 60G model

We reported on a rumor last week stating that perhaps Sony had quit making the 20GB model PS3. This has not only proven to be untrue, but it has Sony reporting that stores have simply been requesting a much higher supply of the 60GB model.

Quote:
"The 20GB model of PS3 is available in North America, along with the 60GB model. While we make it available to retailers, they are the ones who ultimately place the order for what they want to sell, based on consumer demand. Overwhelmingly, retailers have been requesting the 60GB model, the mix has been about 80 percent 60GB, 20 percent 20GB retailer orders. So, the reason you might not be seeing the 20 GB is simply that retailers have been ordering more of the 60 GB unit."

No the HD isn't the only difference between the two models. Here is a direct link to Sony's site about the models.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/ProductDetails

For those too lazy to click on a link.

The PLAYSTATION®3 20GB HDD includes:

* Cell Broadband Engine™ advanced microprocessor
* Blu-ray Disc™ drive
* Bluetooth technology
* Four USB ports
* High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
* SIXAXIS™ wireless controller
* Pre-installed removable 20GB hard disk drive (HDD)

The PLAYSTATION®3 60GB HDD includes:

* All the features included in the 20GB HDD configuration
* CompactFlash®, SD Memory Card and Memory Stick Duo™ card slots
* Wireless network connectivity (Wi-Fi)
* Pre-installed removable 60GB hard disk drive (HDD)

So...in addition to the extra $10 in hard drive, you get a card reader (about $10) and wi-fi (about $15)...so you're paying an extra $100 for $35 worth of stuff.

Very true, the 20gig is very popular over at AVS. Again it's all about seeing the value, for some they think the 60 doesn't offer anything more than the 20.

My brother bought the 60GB version. He needs wifi, has 3 times the capacity, and card slots built in.....which he uses quite often for only a $100 more. Most wifi adapters for consoles cost around $80-$100. and sure you can plug in a generic reader that hangs around or have a nice one built under a door so they stay out of sight and free of dust when not needed.

Funny some of these comments about Sony ripping people off with the 60GB version IIRC they take a greater loss on it and MS charges an insane amount of money for their smaller 20GB upgrade and they don't offer additional capacities.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802117
I know this is supposed to change, but it hasn't yet.

Back