2018 - Hardware I just brought on and what it replaced thread

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
I just brought on 2 old Optiplex 160's with Atom processors (each with 4 threads). They were set up to mine BURST off of HDD's but I will let them crunch whatever projects they choose in the process.
https://wuprop.boinc-af.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=140159
https://wuprop.boinc-af.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=140074

I lost a Lattitude E5520 though due to potentially a bad MB. It was a lemon when it was cast off at work.
https://wuprop.boinc-af.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=78794

I also brought this part time laptop borg as well - https://wuprop.boinc-af.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=140114

Nice idea

I brought on a Raspberry Pi 3, will write a bit about this in a separate thread: stats,

I have not been running any machines dedicated to DC for the last year and a half, so nothing is being replaced at the moment.

Hopefully I can post about a few other additions in 2018 :)

EDIT:
Changed link to boincstats.

Last edited:
Since I had an old 2P Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 being used as a file server in a 4U, I added an AMD 5450 and an nVidia GTX 650 to it. The cards were collecting dust, so figured for now they can keep the house warm. I would have put an AMD 4870 in but apparently those aren't supported past 7/8 (but not 8.1).

Since I had an old 2P Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 being used as a file server in a 4U, I added an AMD 5450 and an nVidia GTX 650 to it. The cards were collecting dust, so figured for now they can keep the house warm. I would have put an AMD 4870 in but apparently those aren't supported past 7/8 (but not 8.1).

Hey G, I wonder by referring to 7/8 you mean Windows? I had a HD4650 which worked at first with Win 10 but then got borked by one of the current Win 10 updates which can't be refused. Work around was to find and unwrap the compatible driver first supplied with Win 10 or unwrap the legacy Win 7 driver then do a manual install through the update driver tab in device mgr. It's currently still working.

Yes windows. I am sure I could Frankenstein it. However, it isn't officially supported by AMD anymore. And I honestly do not want to have to continuously "fix" it with every Win10 update. It is bad enough to have to keep fixing nVidia drivers each time so that they have OpenCL compatibility. Another reason why I prefer projects that use CUDA...lol.

Yes windows. I am sure I could Frankenstein it. However, it isn't officially supported by AMD anymore. And I honestly do not want to have to continuously "fix" it with every Win10 update. It is bad enough to have to keep fixing nVidia drivers each time so that they have OpenCL compatibility. Another reason why I prefer projects that use CUDA...lol.

Fair enuff but only had to fix it after the Creators update and its still working. As for NVidia Windows 10 keeps updating the driver even after I rollback to 373.xx . Won't do it right away but just seemingly random updates weeks down the road then does a reboot so I lose crunching/folding until I notice and log on to the 'updated' PC. Fck annoying as hell. What's the CL fix? Only reason I used rollback was for the folding boost.

The MS updates doesn't include the OpenCL drivers, so you have to install the drivers from nVidia after the update. that is if you want to the current drivers. Otherwise, rolling back to previous nVidia supplied drivers would most likely do the same thing.

Well... I lost another LG Fuel cell phone (dual core) to battery bloat. I also lost another Alcatel One Touch (quad core) to battery bloat. However, I just picked up 4 of Huawei SENSA LTE (H710VL) which are Octocore for just under $82 from Straighttalk. So on top of running money making apps on them, they will be adding 32 Android cores to my dwindling phARM.

Just scored a 1070Ti for £471 - not bad in the current climate, but it is a refurb. It will be here in a couple of days so should see a nice jump in production.

Yeah but a recent payrise at work means I can now afford to run 4 cards + my cpu folder. Once Volta/ampere/turning is released I will upgrade my 2 year old 1070 and then set a regular pattern in place so that each card is only with me for 2 years.

Once I have everything sorted over the next few months I might look to sling 6-8 cpu cores at boinc so I might be asking for help on that one.

Congrats on the payrise, mate. Sold my two mid-tier cards recently and eyeing for something better when the price is right.

Replaced the last of my LGA1366 hardware with a Xeon E5-V4 system. Two ES 20c/40t CPUs. Faster than what it replaced, smaller, and far more energy efficient. Hard to object to that.

Once Volta/ampere/turning is released I will upgrade my 2 year old 1070 and then set a regular pattern in place so that each card is only with me for 2 years.
Yeah, good luck with that. Just built another 8700K system and the only gpu it has is the igpu. I'm not paying stupid prices for graphics cards. The new Nvidia cards are looking to be out in April but they will probably end up at Bitfarms, not my PC.

Just bought a reasonably "cheap" E5-4669v3 (18 cores/36 threads) in fleabay. Thinking of doing a minor upgrade to my E5-2683v3 rig and selling it off. Hopefully it will be cost neutral for this upgrade. Can't afford to run more than three rigs at home. Maybe I'll post this in FS/FT forum, if there is an interest.

I believe so, however I cannot tell you how much as very few ever report their stats on integrated offerings like that. Usually not a "wow" factor.

Nice. What kind of results are you getting compared to the Xp?

Just got the 1070ti online - 720k PPD and its quite quiet, better than I expected for a blower cooler:)

And now the wife took one of the Octocores. Luckily, I donated a Dell Inspiron 530 to a needy family that has a GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 6GB Ram, and an 8400 GS video card that may DC part time as a borg. It isn't much, but it is something.

Looking at CPU-z numbers it looks like the Sensa's Octocore cores float from 63C to 70C and the battery sits around 37C. It is running a mix of work. That is with no additional cooling and sitting just in an open air environment. Essentially sitting on a deep freeze for easy access.

managed to snag a FX8100 from someone on craigslist with 16GB ddr3 for $100 CDN. not the fastest chip but 8 cores is nice. working on undervolting it to see how efficient i can make it. So far total system power under full load is about 140 watts at the wall. Not gonna be a huge increase but an extra 25+ results a day will be nice and it all adds up.

found an e8200 in a recycling bin at work. testing it out to see if its worth the power draw. probably undervolt possibly underclock but going to find that sweet spot. sure these old chips cant' keep up performance per watt but if you get enough of them together.... I still have visions of those old bed frame setups people used to run :D

GTX 1080 Ti to replace Radeon 290X
i7 8700k to replace i5 4690k
16GB DDR to replace DDR3
New Mobo
144hz Monitor

Back