2017 Tech Company Deathwatch

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ars Technica has posted what they call a "short list of dead companies walking" today. Aside from the obvious ones on the list like Yahoo and Blackberry, there were some not so obvious companies like Gearbox Software on there as well.

Given the flat-lined response to Battleborn, Gearbox needed a good product to follow it up. Instead, the company pushed out two lackluster remasters. The first, a 20th anniversary edition of Duke Nukem 3D, may not have cracked the 50,000 unit-sales mark since launching in October on consoles and PC (this conservative estimate relies on a SteamSpy estimate of 10,000 sales on PC, so its total sales could be even lower). That will be followed in January with a remaster of the 2011 shooter Bulletstorm—to be sold at a crazy-high price point of $60 with very little in the way of new content. Unless Gearbox knows something that I don’t about this pricing strategy, I expect anemic Bulletstorm sales to force some tough decisions at Gearbox HQ. These will rattle the company through the rest of 2017, especially if 2K Games decides to cut its losses in terms of its Gearbox publishing arrangement.

yeah, I don't agree with the Gearbox entry. Crytek should have been on there instead. They didn't pay their employees for 6 months and then finally shut down a few locations. But like all list half the items on it make little sense.

Battleborn was a complete turkey. They were late to the MOBA game and it wasn't newbie-friendly at all. I hope 2K / Gearbox redeem themselves with Borderlands 3.

Battleborn was a complete turkey. They were late to the MOBA game and it wasn't newbie-friendly at all. I hope 2K / Gearbox redeem themselves with Borderlands 3.

Seriously. All that wasted effort trying to jump the departed MOBA bandwagon when they should've been pouring it into Borderlands 3, or better yet a persistent universe, multi-planet BorderWorlds or whatever the ending of BL2 hinted at.

I don't know why, but I'm imagining Elizabeth Holmes as a replacement to Roy Taylor...

Back