2016 ppd per dollar

garin

n00b
local power runs 14.8 cents Canadian per kw hour, I presume this means if I was to draw a 1000 watts 24/7 then my energy cost per day would be $0.148 dollars*1*24= $3.55?

If one builds with efficiency in mind then what sort of ppd I could realistically expect and how does it scalesper wattage, say at
500 watts -
1000 watts -
2000 watts -

Is there any current data on this? Most of the figures I can find on ppd per watt are 4+ years old.

hi and welcome

Your maths is correct and currently GPU folding is the way to go, so a cheapish cpu, a decent mobo with plenty of PCIe slots and a brand name platinum level power supply. Ideally you want to waste as few watts as possible on the rig, leaving more power for actual productive use. I'm pulling a new rig together based on this principle but I'm not going to get it finished before I go on holidays, there will be a thread in the middle of may

500 watts would get you a pair of 980's or a 970 +980ti - giving about 800k PPD, I have the 970+980ti combo running in a rig and its currently pulling 499watts from the wall, this is with a Platinum level PSU, 240v power and a very large mobo, its a 2p workstation board so way overkill for its current usage.
1000 watts would probably get you 3 980ti's giving around 1.5m PPD, you may be able to squeeze a smaller card in there as well.
2000 watts, no idea but probably 6 x 980ti at a minimum

Save up some coin for 980 Ti. They're beasts.

Really depends on your budget though. 980 Ti is $600+ for the card only.

I assume that it will be substantially more than 600. Since he mentioned that the price per KWH in Canadian......

Realistically the more expensive 900 series cards are generally the most efficient Point per dollar per watt (PPDPW). I would suggest 970, 980, 980ti for the best. We shall see what Pascal will bring to the table, but that is a couple months away.

Ah yeah. You'll be right then. I totally forgot about him being Canadian. They'll probably be upwards of $900 or more.

The cheapest 980 TI you can get on Newegg.ca right now is just over $800, combination of a rising dollar and falling 980 TI prices. I think they're worried they won't sell down inventory before the next set of cards launches.

I wonder if EVGA sells refurbs in Canada. I know I've purchased two refurb 970's and I couldn't be happier with them.

I wonder if EVGA sells refurbs in Canada. I know I've purchased two refurb 970's and I couldn't be happier with them.
I see some, refurb 970 looks to be $399.99 CAD vs a 980TI which looks to start at $909 for msi or 959 for evga. I'm skeptical that the 980TI is more than twice as good ppd-wise as the 970 but feel free to correct me on that.

As far as motherboards for multiple gpus what are people currently running? Last I looked into this the sr-2 seemed to be the way people were going which looks to have 7 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 in the current incarnation, with the spacing of those slots vs modern card sizes though is anyone really fitting more than 3 on there? especially once cooling issues come into play.

A 980 Ti is twice as good as a 970. I run both and my 980 Ti are big, big PPD makers. I get 500k - 740k PPD on a single 980 Ti. My 970s get 200k - 350k PPD.

Yet they don't consume twice the power. More? Sure. Just not twice as much.

These PPD numbers are with Windows. Both GPUs will generate more PPD with Linux.

As for my multiple GPU setups I'm not using anything special. Two of my 970 rigs are running dual 970s. Using EVGA's aftermarket cooler on them. No issues.

On my 3-way multiple 980 Ti setup on the other hand I am running an 2011v3 motherboard. The two "top" cards are EVGA Hybrid water cooling cards while the bottom card is just a Gigabyte Windforce card.

I second his results, and add that a 960 gets 130-180k PPD, I own 2 960s, a 970 and 2 980tis.

I will add that I read on the front page the NV is cutting production of GM-200 and 204 cores. That means that the supply of 970, 980, 980ti and Titan parts will be drying up. Less supply might mean higher prices. Or.... If Pascal comes out soon enough, this might signal the time for blowout sales to reduce inventory. YMMV.

Back