2016 Has A Leap Second

HardOCP News

[H] News
The final minute of this year will be one second longer than a normal sixty second minute. What are you going to do with your extra second?

Countries that use Coordinated Universal Time—several West African nations, Britain, Ireland and Iceland—will add the leap second during the midnight countdown to 2017—making the year's final minute 61 seconds long. "This extra second, or leap second, makes it possible to align astronomical time, which is irregular and determined by Earth's rotation, with UTC which is extremely stable and has been determined by atomic clocks since 1967," the Paris Observatory said in a statement.

I will be on the toilet flushing the bad memories away with Aunt Edna's horrible left over spice cake surprise...... Surprise!

When leap seconds were introduced in 1972, 10 seconds had to be added to UTC, followed by another roughly every 18 months thereafter, according to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) of the US Department of Commerce.

Since this additional added second happens like "clockwork".. every 18 months or so.. really not much of a story.. read more about it at "The Future of Leap Seconds"..

With an additional second, gives me more time to come up with ways to get Steve's bra picture into more 2017 Hardforum posts!!

steve_stickam_final.jpg

Whatever. As long as the upstream NTP server updates sometime in the next year, don't care.

Looking at my clock trying to figure out why it's called a "second" hand when there are three of them.

Back