2015 Moto X & Moto G

King of Heroes

[H]ard|Gawd
Motorola just announced two variants each of the 2015 Moto X and 2015 Moto G

Moto X Style, though its called Moto X Pure on the product page.

Moto X Play

Biggest differences appear to be CPU, display and battery life. Style has a Snapdragon 808, a 5.7-inch 1440p display and a 3000mAh battery while the Play has a Snapdragon 615, a 5.5-inch 1080p display and a 3630mAh battery (and is apparently exclusive to Europe). Both have a 21MP back camera (don't know about OIS), 5MP front camera, microSD slots and front facing stereo speakers.

Moto G

The two variants of the Moto G differ by onboard storage and ram. The budget model has 8GB of storage and 1GB of RAM and the "higher" end model has 16GB of storage and 2GB of RAM. All other specs are equal; 13MP back camera, 5MP front, 5-inch 720p display, and 4G LTE (yay!) The budget model is priced pretty close to the ASUS Zenfone 2, but it has stock Android and its Motorola so it may be a better deal regardless.

Last edited:
If the new Nexus devices don't have dual front facing speakers (once you have a device with it you can't go back) then Moto X Play will be mine....what a fantastic device.

If the new Nexus devices don't have dual front facing speakers (once you have a device with it you can't go back) then Moto X Play will be mine....what a fantastic device.

My main concern right now is whether the camera has OIS or not. I know its not necessary for a good camera, but I'd still prefer it.

The "pure" edition is supposed to be the high end, right? The spec sheet seems to say it has the Snapdragon 808 instead of the 810 (hex core instead of octo) and still includes 3GB of RAM where one would expect 4GB. Is this an error? Aside from these, it all seems pretty promising, especially for $400.

x-play-19_zps5mskdici.jpg

The "pure" edition is supposed to be the high end, right? The spec sheet seems to say it has the Snapdragon 808 instead of the 810 (hex core instead of octo) and still includes 3GB of RAM where one would expect 4GB. Is this an error? Aside from these, it all seems pretty promising, especially for $400.

My mistake on the CPU, I've edited the first post.

Pure edition is the US edition (Style is International version) and yes it is the "high end". It runs on ALL US carriers. It is only 3GB of RAM. That doesn't bother me in the least. As for 808 vs 810. Motorola didn't choose 808 because it was Hexa versus Octo. It picked 808 because it didn't want an egg frying SoC.

That's a lot of phone for $400 off contract. Not to mention all the nice little Motorola functionality and near pure Android interface.

Moto isn't known for using very good camera's in their phones.

Also I was right in thinking the 808 would get more design wins than the 810. It just made so much more damn sense.

I would argue that the 808 is the superior part to the 810. Won't fry your device / nuke your battery and still gives you all the performance you would want. 3GB vs. 4GB of RAM is also not that big a deal. Overall this phone seems to have crushed it in everything except for maybe a slightly larger battery.

Looks like I will be replacing my Nexus 6 with a Moto X Style later this year.

I hope Moto adds in some new wood colors/stains though. I really like the look of the OnePlus 2 with the "Back Apricot" back.

Wow, looks really nice. Strong contenders for the price. Assuming leather/higher storage version would be $475 per last years moto maker, that is a compelling phone.

I find it odd that the larger, higher res screen has the smaller battery, but will let the benchmarks sort it out.

Nice looking phone. I think I'll be going with a Moto X if the next Nexus phone isn't reasonably priced and with solid specs.

Why 5.7"....I kinda wish they had made one with a slightly smaller screen. That said, I might get one to play around with, not sure yet.

Maybe it's not so big after all:

Size comparison pic:
manymoto.jpg

Moto X, Moto X 2014, Moto X Style/Pure Edition, Nexus 6

Little too big for my tastes :( Wish they would make a large Moto X and small Moto X.. or I guess the smaller version is the G? Ah well. I think 4.7" is my personal sweet spot, maybe 5"

The 2gb Moto G looks great. I think that segment of the market is more interesting than the flagship market to be honest.
Edit: The moto X starts at $399 too? Wow, thats a really good deal for a nice flagship.

Last edited:
No Wireless charging and no optical image stabilization is a deal breaker for me. Too bad :-(

No Wireless charging and no optical image stabilization is a deal breaker for me. Too bad :-(
Hopefully the Nexus devices this year knock it out of the park. Wireless charging and OIS have been featured on the last few Nexus phones so I imagine they will be returning this year.

Looks like the Moto X Pure will be replacing my Galaxy S6 this year. Besides Wireless Charging, this phone seems to nail every category for me and the price is amazing. RIP OnePlusTwo, I can't see why anyone would purchase that phone at this point (especially with the invite shenanigans).

I've been rocking a GS3 for three full years now, and have tried in vain to get excited about each new Android offering that's come out the past 12-18 months. Thanks to the Moto X Pure, today is truly the first time I can say I am excited.

First and foremost: STOCK ANDROID WITH MICROSD. At last. The tradeoff decision that's crippled me from even seriously considering a new phone for so long, finally resolved.

Even beyond that, this seems pretty close to perfection on paper. It's basically a cheaper, slightly smaller Nexus 6 with a better camera and expandable storage. Yeah, the battery could be bigger (and removable, though that ship is pretty much sailed) and OIS would be nice, but I can't think of much else to gripe about.

In a world where TouchWiz and its HTC/LG/etc. equivalents didn't exist, this phone wouldn't be anything earth-shattering -- though certainly still a great value proposition. But in the real world, this is the first time I've felt like a stock Android device had a chance to truly compete with the big boys' flagships on all fronts.

Moto X Play has less of the oil painting look at ISO 640 than Moto X Style. There's no ISO 640 comparison from Moto G but it's not as good as the Play either judging by ISO 500 and 800.

Aaaaand I just impulse bought a Moto G (16GB/2GB version, of course). I've been wanting to get away from my OnePlus One for a bit, and I figure this'll be a good holdover until the new Moto X and Nexus devices are officially released. Who knows, I may even winding up keeping it.

Aaaaand I just impulse bought a Moto G (16GB/2GB version, of course). I've been wanting to get away from my OnePlus One for a bit, and I figure this'll be a good holdover until the new Moto X and Nexus devices are officially released. Who knows, I may even winding up keeping it.

How is a Moto G better than a OnePlus?

How is a Moto G better than a OnePlus?

Hardware-wise, it isn't. But I've been running into A LOT of annoying bugs and reception issues on the OnePlus One ever since CM12S dropped. I know I can flash a different ROM on it, but I really can't be bothered to do that. And, frankly, I've been wanting to give a Motorola phone a try for a while, and the Moto G seems like a cheap way to do that. Its support for T-Mobile's bands are also a lot better than the OnePlus One's.

I'm hoping since the Style will be easily rooted/bootloader unlocked since it's not going to be sold through the carriers. If it is, then I'll probably replace my M8 with it since it is one of the last phones available on Verizon where I could unlock the bootloader (Nexus 6 is the only current phone I can think of right now). I really only care about root though, don't necessarily need bootloader unlocked.

Only thing I really don't care about is the display size and resolution. I'd rather have a 5"ish 1080p phone for better battery life and performance, esp. with the 808 SoC. I had a Note 2 (5.5") before and got used to it, but was nice coming back down to the M8 afterwards. Wish it was AMOLED still too, but don't mind as long as it's a good SLCD type display, I really like my M8's display still. I don't care about camera (though it seems good from what I've seen/read so far) and front facing stereo speakers are pretty much a must have coming from my M8 as well.

Little too big for my tastes :( Wish they would make a large Moto X and small Moto X.. or I guess the smaller version is the G? Ah well. I think 4.7" is my personal sweet spot, maybe 5"

Despite owning a G3 (work) and a G4 (personal), I think I agree. The G3/G4 border on too big for me. My Galaxy S3 was just about perfect, and I think that was a 4.7".

If you guys were going to spend $299, would you get the old moto x flagship or the new moto x play ? Assume the camera is unimportant to me...

My current phone is a 1st gen moto g....which is quite slow these days on lolipop.

If you guys were going to spend $299, would you get the old moto x flagship or the new moto x play ? Assume the camera is unimportant to me...

My current phone is a 1st gen moto g....which is quite slow these days on lolipop.

Since you've gone this long with that Moto G and you don't care about the camera, consider giving the new 16GB/2GB Moto G a try? It may fulfill all your needs for about $100 less unless you really need a 1080p or higher display.

Are you outside of the US? Because the Play isn't going to be available in the US in the foreseeable future and probably won't work on all bands if you try to get one on AT&T or T-Mo anyways. So I would just get the previous Moto X for your carrier if you're in the US.

If you're outside of the US though, then I would get the Play for sure if just for the significantly larger battery. Otherwise, you can't really go wrong with either phone still. I don't give a shit about phone camera either, any modern phone is good enough for me. I'm happy with my M8's camera if that doesn't say enough, hah.

Got a Moto G today. Don't get the Motorola flip case, it is complete shit. The back of the phone is too rounded for the flip case to fold back and lay flat. It feels like you are holding two completely disconnected items (the phone and the case) when you raise the phone to your ear to make a call.

Last edited:
Bah, cant even order the 2gb model. Not available on moto's site now. And now I need a holdover phone till Nexus M Models come out.

Pocketnow just released their review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEfOwHkmfdI

- They reviewed the 16GB/2GB model (they advise not bothering with the 8GB/1GB model)
- Reported over 6 hours of screen on time. Appears to be backed up by other reviewers.
- Screen is not very good in terms of viewing angles and color saturation
- Camera is good in daylight, crap in lowlight (some of their issues seem like software bugs though)

Last edited:
Back