2015 Macbook

Selling mine on [H] if anyone is interested. Completely maxed out with the 1.3ghz CPU and 512gb SSD. I've been using Windows way too much to justify keeping it.

Link? I already own one and love it.

Selling mine on [H] if anyone is interested. Completely maxed out with the 1.3ghz CPU and 512gb SSD. I've been using Windows way too much to justify keeping it.

Why not just run Windows 10 on the Macbook? There's no particular reason that OSX has to be the main OS on the device, and it makes a great notebook with Windows on there as well.

I have a very capable ThinkPad Carbon X1 and really can't justify keeping both.

Why not just run Windows 10 on the Macbook? There's no particular reason that OSX has to be the main OS on the device, and it makes a great notebook with Windows on there as well.

The battery management in Windows is terrible, so be prepared to give up the longevity you'd otherwise have in OSX. The trackpad drivers are abysmal. This is a key advantage in OSX versus Windows, as obviously it's one of two interfaces the laptop has.

Booting to Windows occasionally for flexibility is nice. But if you're primarily going to use Windows, don't bother with any OSX based product. I love Macs and Mac hardware, but it's not a real solution for people looking for a Windows device. Get an HP Envy or a Dell XPS or a Yoga or any number of fantastic Windows laptops instead.

I'm not sure I understand the new MacBook, isn't it technically slower than the new iPad Pro? Seems awfully expensive for what you get, other than the high res display

The battery management in Windows is terrible, so be prepared to give up the longevity you'd otherwise have in OSX. The trackpad drivers are abysmal. This is a key advantage in OSX versus Windows, as obviously it's one of two interfaces the laptop has.

Booting to Windows occasionally for flexibility is nice. But if you're primarily going to use Windows, don't bother with any OSX based product. I love Macs and Mac hardware, but it's not a real solution for people looking for a Windows device. Get an HP Envy or a Dell XPS or a Yoga or any number of fantastic Windows laptops instead.

I installed Windows 10 on mine just for the heck of it, but realized I haven't booted into it since I did it.

I'm not sure I understand the new MacBook, isn't it technically slower than the new iPad Pro? Seems awfully expensive for what you get, other than the high res display

The new Macbook is essentially the "new Macbook Air". Apple is going to have to figure out their product lineup, but Steve Jobs setup the president of not being afraid to cannibalize profit on their own products.

The big difference to keep the response short is the Macbook is a full fledged OSX device capable of running... well everything. The iPad Pro is an iOS device only able to run iOS apps and a few iPad Pro specialty apps. If you wanted to run Photoshop or say any full level Text Editor, the iPad Pro would be able to do none of those things. Whereas of course the Macbook can.

The Macbook is for people that want a full OSX experience in the lightest, thinnest, quietest (fanless!) system they can find. The iPad Pro is still "finding its market", but I would say it's for people that want a premium consumer device that also want the ability to create a few specialized things on the go. Because it is "only" running iOS, I would say that it's limited to people liking Garageband or similar and various sketch programs or similar. As more pro apps become developed, the iPad Pro will probably become a more robust device, but until that happens it is yet to be seen how useful it is in comparison with a full desktop OS based laptop.

All that to say, they are two very different devices. Personally an iPad can't replace a laptop for what I do. So while the idea of an iPad Pro sounds great, it just doesn't cut the mustard. But for people with extra disposable income, I'm sure it's fun. An iPad Mini 2-4 is plenty for me.

I installed Windows 10 on mine just for the heck of it, but realized I haven't booted into it since I did it.

I was a Mac convert in 2008 after over 10 years of being hardcore PC only (including being a hardcore builder, OCer, and even WCer). It took me about 6 months... but after that I just stopped booting into Windows. So, for me it took a little while while I tried to figure out comparable apps in both OS's, but after I did, I just stopped caring about Windows.

However, I'm not a hater. OSX works really well for me. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend people build or buy a PC if it fits their usage case. OSX just better suits what I do and I'm much more efficient and faster in it. If you love Windows or 'Nix who cares? Use what works for you.

Last edited:

Battery life in Windows is kind of a meaningless concept as there lots of dependencies. It's first of all very dependent on the hardware and there are many Windows devices that are as good as Macs. But it can be tricky. Sleep is very finicky from device to device. And of course there's the normal load one puts on the battery. Heavy use of the Chrome browser in Windows and OS X is a well documented battery killer.

Obviously MacBooks are well renowned for their track pads and even the most expensive PCs are often considered inferior so I'll grant that one but their are certainly good Windows laptop track pads. The one on the Surface Book is pretty great and I think the X1 rates well there.

Battery life in Windows is kind of a meaningless concept as there lots of dependencies. It's first of all very dependent on the hardware and there are many Windows devices that are as good as Macs. But it can be tricky. Sleep is very finicky from device to device. And of course there's the normal load one puts on the battery. Heavy use of the Chrome browser in Windows and OS X is a well documented battery killer.

I think you missed what I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to imply that Windows laptops have inherently bad battery life. What I was trying to state is that within Windows, Macs have poor battery (and/or energy) management. This is due to bad drivers and other factors.
Apple is only interested in making their hardware work with Windows as opposed to work "well" with Windows.

Obviously MacBooks are well renowned for their track pads and even the most expensive PCs are often considered inferior so I'll grant that one but their are certainly good Windows laptop track pads. The one on the Surface Book is pretty great and I think the X1 rates well there.

It is an advantage with OSX based machines, but if you're looking for a Windows only laptop, I'm certain there must be at least a few ones with excellent premium feeling and working trackpads.
This is why I suggested that if you're going to be using primarily Windows, then there is no point in buying Mac hardware... you lose the advantages of the Mac in exchange for "pretty" hardware and so-so drivers.

Last edited:
I own a 2015 Macbook and IMO it's fantastic. I don't run into any performance based issues at all. Now to be fair I'm not using the Macbook for anything really intensive. I have Parallels installed and run a Win 10 VM for work related purposes and I use OSX for normal everyday things like web browsing, music and video playback.

Back