2015 Macbook

so after playing with the keyboard and initially feeling appalled i actually love it. I wish all keyboards on my macs were like it.

The keyboard grows on you day after day, imo at least.

My experience as well. The keyboard feels odd at first. But then you start to adapt, you no longer mash the keys to bottom out, but just gently press them. They have awesome tactile feedback. Soon, you just glide over them.

Going back to a MacBook Pro recently felt like typing on a keyboard covert in jello.
And the large keys grow on you as well.

I got the MacBook when my 11" Air died. I though, what the heck, let's give it a shot and if I don't like it, I'll just return it and get another Air.

Never thought I'd love this machine so much. Performance is almost identical to a 2012 MacBook Air, with the occasional hiccup. But that's totally balanced out by it being passively cooled. Silence is golden!

The screen is just amazing. I always thought 16:10 and HiDPI (Retina) were just nerd hypes, but the screen quality has really blown me away.

By default, the speakers sound horrible IMO. But using the app Boom to adjust the equalizer, they now sound really good. Much better than the Air's.

Even the non backlit Apple logo seems much classier to me.
The only thing I truly miss is the MagSafe. Not just for the safety, also for the convenience.

Add me to the list of impressed MacBook owners. This laptop is amazing. My wife's old Dell finally died so I gave her my 2012 MacBook Air and bought this new MacBook for myself. I absolutely love it and also got a free pair of Beats headphones (back to school offer).

I'm planning on selling my rMBPro for a retina macbook with skylake

The rMB needs an update to add a Thunderbolt 3 port, which should now be possible with Skylake. MBPr is ok for now, Skylake just brings more speed to the table, not desperately needed features.

Besides speed, it will also increase the battery life significantly. Its 2 generations ahead, the 14NM architecture will save a lot of power

Last edited:
Good news, but myself (and I'm pretty sure many others) would be pretty pissed that a newly introduced laptop we purchased ~3 months ago is now no longer state of the art.

Yes, but Apple upgraded their MacBook Pro 15 twice in year 2013, March and October.

Good news, but myself (and I'm pretty sure many others) would be pretty pissed that a newly introduced laptop we purchased ~3 months ago is now no longer state of the art.

Tough. It wasn't even state-of-the-art when you got it though. I'm not sure why it was even released without Thunderbolt in the first place.

I'm not sure why it was even released without Thunderbolt in the first place.
Probably because Thunderbolt 3 over the USB-C connector was only announced at Computex in June, while the MacBook was released in April.

I've been using this Macbook for a few days and I honestly think the current Core M is fine. I'm not running into any performance issues. The only thing I think this needs is a second USB-C port otherwise it's fine. I really enjoy using it. It's silky smooth.

Probably because Thunderbolt 3 over the USB-C connector was only announced at Computex in June, while the MacBook was released in April.

Sure, but Apple knew about it long before that. The release of the rMB was close to the initial timeframe for Skylake (Q1-2 of 2015). I think they planned the original rMB to have thunderbolt but when Intel missed their date, Apple shipped it anyway. I'm just not sure why.

I've been using this Macbook for a few days and I honestly think the current Core M is fine. I'm not running into any performance issues. The only thing I think this needs is a second USB-C port otherwise it's fine. I really enjoy using it. It's silky smooth.

MacBooks are always smooth. It will work perfectly fine with the current specs of 2 year old Haswell processor. But for 15 inch MBPr, upgrading to Skylake will not only make it slightly faster, it will make it future proof.

honestly debating on getting a macbook pro with skylake and the embedded dram or a skylake core-m macbook... I don't need the power of the macbook pro but it might have better resale value for sure

MacBooks are always smooth. It will work perfectly fine with the current specs of 2 year old Haswell processor. But for 15 inch MBPr, upgrading to Skylake will not only make it slightly faster, it will make it future proof.

Ever since Yosemite, the animation aren't smooth at all anymore, unless you force using the GPU process other than integrated ( Iris Pro ).

El Capitan fixed some, but the stupid App drawer still lag like mad when you use "More space" option in display scaling.

Ever since Yosemite, the animation aren't smooth at all anymore, unless you force using the GPU process other than integrated ( Iris Pro ).

El Capitan fixed some, but the stupid App drawer still lag like mad when you use "More space" option in display scaling.

If you can try the latest El Capitan beta build. Animations are now 100% smooth. All the transitions and panning/zooming are locked at 60fps. Safari is also surprisingly faster now.

Not buying that rumour. It's a source of unknown reliability saying nothing but "trust us, this is what's happening." I'm sure Apple will update the MacBook with Skylake, but there's nothing to corroborate those details.

My semi-educated guess: we get a quick-and-dirty refresh in October (along with other Macs) that drops in Core m5 and m7 processors. Maybe it bumps the port to Thunderbolt 3... I'd like a price cut, but it feels like it's too soon.

If you can try the latest El Capitan beta build. Animations are now 100% smooth. All the transitions and panning/zooming are locked at 60fps. Safari is also surprisingly faster now.

Tried the latest, it's still having problem with the app drawer from the task bar.

It's smooth only if you have the default resolution. If you used the highest scaling, then it stutter pretty badly. It's been like that since Yosemite and early version of Maverick, but not in the latest Maverick..
I assume that Apple developer fucked up with the same problem again and never bother to fix it, like their developer APIs..... Software Quality has gone down so shitty these days...

Tried the latest, it's still having problem with the app drawer from the task bar.

It's smooth only if you have the default resolution. If you used the highest scaling, then it stutter pretty badly. It's been like that since Yosemite and early version of Maverick, but not in the latest Maverick..
I assume that Apple developer fucked up with the same problem again and never bother to fix it, like their developer APIs..... Software Quality has gone down so shitty these days...

OS X Mavericks is older than Yosemite. You must mean El Capitan. I'm running El Capitan Version 10.11 right now on a Macbook and everything runs very smoothly even after I max out the resolution option.

Last edited:
Will it be worth to wait till October to get the refreshed MacBook 15 with skylake? Or should I get the current generation?

At this point I'd wait either way. The new one will be a better machine, not that the current is in any way bad, and if you decide on the older generation it'll most likely be considerably cheaper.

At this point I'd wait either way. The new one will be a better machine, not that the current is in any way bad, and if you decide on the older generation it'll most likely be considerably cheaper.

I agree. wait, the announcement is tomorrow.

I'm hoping for 2015 retina MacBook style keyboards to go to all macs, a new wireless keyboard based on that same tech, and silverlake powered retina macbooks alas they won't get embedded dram though, still the gpu should be much better than last gen

I agree. wait, the announcement is tomorrow.

I'm hoping for 2015 retina MacBook style keyboards to go to all macs, a new wireless keyboard based on that same tech, and silverlake powered retina macbooks alas they won't get embedded dram though, still the gpu should be much better than last gen

Thats good news. You sure that in tomorrow's event they will also announce MBPr 15 refresh?

Most people don't think the 15's will receive a refresh due to the lack of an Iris Pro (GT4e) iGPU equipped Skylake chip at this time. I wouldn't get my hopes up, in fact, I'd leave them at exactly 0.

Thats good news. You sure that in tomorrow's event they will also announce MBPr 15 refresh?

I don't expect any Macs until October. Today's event is about iOS. There's always the possibility of a "one more thing" style refresh, but i wouldn't bet on it.

yeah october is the time to wait, but if you can wait, wait until around Christmas time to decide to buy or not, we should have more info on the mac lineup then

I too am holding out for the next announcement about laptops and desktops.

it's a possibility

we already know the new core-m for the retina 12 inch macbook won't be getting embedded dram which was what i was hoping for.

Only machine left that is easy to replace the HDD is the 13" MacBook Pro (non-retina)

Drives in all the rMBP's are super easy to change.. you just need the right screw driver for the bottom panel, then you can pop out the PCIe SSD.

But is it actually PCI-Express SSD ?

When doing research before buying mbp I've seen some mentions that form factor is identical but electric signals are different.

Just got a MacBook the other day to play with. Pretty amazed by this little system. Going to be really great to use when I travel. Can barely tell it's in my bag. Still getting used to the keyboard and that's odd when going back to my rMBP or iMac...but I love it.

Selling mine on [H] if anyone is interested. Completely maxed out with the 1.3ghz CPU and 512gb SSD. I've been using Windows way too much to justify keeping it.

Back