2012 iMac owners?

Kadath

Gawd
Nobody else bought a 2012 iMac today? I had expected to order in DE but since it looks like it will be weeks and weeks till they get them and no clue on any special configs they will carry and I just bit the bullet for home delivery...

27" iMac
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide
Accessory Kit

And I bit on Apple Care too. Too nice a box to not have it covered for 3 years.

Goodbye 2008 Mac Pro!

Mine will also be used for editing my D4 images (16 megapixel) in Lr and 1080p video from my NEX. I've got over 100k images in a single catalog now, intend to start a second catalog fresh for 2013 and keep all my 2004-2012 in a separate catalog that is only for archive searches. I have been VERY frustrated at the slowness of my existing box in simply going from frame to frame, it can take 8-10 seconds between images. I am hoping the speed bump and the smaller catalog can get this down to a manageable speed.

Thinking about it but probably can't justify it as I have a rMBP that is more than enough for my needs. If I were you I would stick with 8GB of RAM and buy 16GB yourself for 24GB total.

I'm on the 2011 iMac. I'd like to upgrade, but I can't really justify it. The only part of the new machine that is tempting really is the graphics card. Having faster graphics would be nice, but otherwise, everything about my current machine is fine.

Edit: Lol, massive blunder... I said MBP for some reason, when I mean iMac.

Last edited:
No need for me, the i7 860 in my 2009 iMac is doing great. Hell, the i7 860 on my gaming PC is doing great.

For the first time I have no desire to upgrade my computers every 18-24 months like I used to. I'll probably get Haswell in my PC because why not, but as for the iMac I may wait until 2014 to finally upgrade. By then I'll have Thunderbolt in my PC, so it'll be great timing to have both machines up to date (I use my iMac as a monitor for my PC, and the newer models require a Thunderbolt source for Target Display Mode).

As for you, yeah, the new iMacs will smoke that Mac Pro, plus you'll get Thunderbolt.

A friend who runs a graphic design/web development studio in Hilton Head just got a 2012 iMac. He does a ton of work like yours and is in love with his new machine. I suspect you'll feel the same way soon.

Should hit Alaska later today and is scheduled to arrive on the 26th. Hopefully UPS can do better than that =(

Got it today, 11 days before original ship estimate!

So far no obvious dead pixels, no image retention, no fan noise (even running borderlands 2 full screen with all options on high), no CPU whining, and everything checking out.

Loaded all my apps off MAS, Steam, and Adobe Cloud. Will punch over my iTunes library tonight and work on moving a copy of the photo library when I get back from Christmas.

Totally digging having the trackpad on left hand for window management and a mouse on my right side for sharp control.

17 seconds from power press to login prompt.

Apps pop in one bounce on the dock.

Can you ddiiiiiigggggg it??? :)

You can have my miniDP target display mode when you pry it out of my cold dead fingers. Not getting any iMac beyond the 2010 model til they bring that back. :p

Really? Not dedicating a world class computing device to being a slave to another box is a deal breaker for you?

Back