2012 HDTVs?

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
What's in stock for next year? I'm looking at TVs now and some of the prices are pretty tempting but I'm in no rush by any means.

What's in stock for next year? I'm looking at TVs now and some of the prices are pretty tempting but I'm in no rush by any means.

Most manufactures are pretty tight lipped until the Consumer Electronics Show.

92" DLP baby, go big or go home!

I've got a 82" DLP and the picture quality is fantastic.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
And even after CES most sets don't actually make it to market until Feb/March at the earliest, nothing significant would be my prediction from what I have heard from various reps trying to get me to pickup the lines lol.

Panasonic Plasma if you want the best picture quality. Got my 50" 3D Plasma (top end model out of the three different series), $1350. They're as thin as LED TV's and produce MUCH better picture quality over any other display technology on the market (OLED doesn't count, laser is not very good).

Watching Avatar on this thing... it's just... amazing. Seriously, do yourself a favor and buy a high end, large, Panasonic Plasma (65" if you can afford it). Then, wait it out until a 50" OLED is only $4,000 and grab that :p

TVs at CES in the Winter and Projectors at CEDIA in the Fall.

I predict more sets with 3D in the mid-range and probably LED broadening to more sets as well. Both of these started to happen with the 2011 sets and I see it expanding even more.

More large panels at 60" and above for LCDs.

The continual improvement to Plasma energy consumption.

Sony might expand on their comments about revolutionizing the TV Industry.

Might not happen at CES but we could see the introduction of the rumored Apple TV Set. I'd reckon it to have a glossy screen, similar design to Apple's monitors, Apple TV functionality built-in and probably some form of Siri to control the thing much like Kinect with the new Xbox 360 dashboard. Hopefully if there is an implementation of Siri it won't rely on Apple's Cloud Servers. :eek:

Panasonic Plasma if you want the best picture quality. Got my 50" 3D Plasma (top end model out of the three different series), $1350. They're as thin as LED TV's and produce MUCH better picture quality over any other display technology on the market (OLED doesn't count, laser is not very good).

Watching Avatar on this thing... it's just... amazing. Seriously, do yourself a favor and buy a high end, large, Panasonic Plasma (65" if you can afford it). Then, wait it out until a 50" OLED is only $4,000 and grab that :p

Top end model Panasonic series starts with VT at 55". You have the GT series which is a very very good TV too.

Laser is freaking amazing, what were you watching.

I just ordered a P42ST30, can't wait to try out 3d on it! Sounds exciting...

Honestly, my opinion is, if you're going to spend over 3k on a TV, you might as well buy a front projector (as opposed to a rear projector) for a full cinematic experience in the home. Then the size of your TV is only dictated by how large of a projection screen you purchase.

hopefully a panel close to 100" for under 10k. They're already pretty close with that 80" for 5k.

Good god, you guys really go high-end! I was thinking a $600-1k price range for a TV as I'm not really a connoisseur.

I'm betting if I hooked up a high-end desktop to said TV, it would look pretty crappy, I take it? I remember doing that a few years ago to an LCD TV and the image looked very.....static compared to a monitor. Would that be the case as well if I were to play games on it with said desktop?

If that's your budget, I would buy something now rather than waiting. You'll get more T.V. for your money.

Last edited:
Wait for the weeks leading up to Superbowl Sunday for some good deals. I definitely prefer the look of plasma to LCD. Panasonic always seems to be at the top for plasma. I would look at the ST30 series for your budget. A 50" is currently priced at $1,000 which should come down during the sales. It looks like it hit $800 during the Black Friday sale at Amazon.

For research, I have found consumersearch.com does a good job of combining online reviews. There is also a new start up I found called wirecutter that makes purchasing suggestions. Both have info on TVs.

If that's your budget, get a 46'' or 55'' Samsung LED, specifically the UN46D6000 or the UN55D6000. Personally, after having gone to PC Richards, Best Buy, and other stores, comparing different brands (Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, etc) and technologies (LED, LCD, Plasma), I find that the Samsung LEDs have the brightest, sharpest, most crisp and vibrant displays. I'm sure Panasonic fans will tell you that the VTs have much better image quality, but from what I saw in person, in store, side by side, Samsung won for me. You should go to a Best Buy or wherever yourself and compare for yourself, everyone has different preferences.

Personally, I have a 55'' Samsung UN55D6000, which I got from Best Buy during black friday for $999, and it's amazing. The ToC glass bezel and glass stand make it look extremely sleek and modern, and the ultra clearview screen at 120HZ plays HD graphics heavy movies such as Avatar, Tron, Transformers 3, etc beautifully. In all seriousness, I have ditched any plans to go to the movie theater for anything less than the very best/most anticipated movies. The only downside of the Samsung is that the sound quality isn't really HiFi (certainlly not bad by any means, but not theater quality obviously), but if you have a 55'' HDTV then you really should have a 5.1 sound system at least.

I personally don't use 3DTV. Tried it in store, and couldn't keep the glasses on for more than maybe 10 minutes. I don't think 3D technology has advanced to the point that it really provides an enjoyable home theater experience. However, if it's something you want in your TV, samsung also offers 3D models of their TVs, starting with the 6300 series, all the way up to their 240 HZ 8000 Series.

I won't be getting another TV until there is one that allows 1080p120 to be input.

Personally, after having gone to PC Richards, Best Buy, and other stores, comparing different brands (Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, etc) and technologies (LED, LCD, Plasma), I find that the Samsung LEDs have the brightest, sharpest, most crisp and vibrant displays. I'm sure Panasonic fans will tell you that the VTs have much better image quality, but from what I saw in person, in store, side by side, Samsung won for me. You should go to a Best Buy or wherever yourself and compare for yourself, everyone has different preferences.

You do know that a "LED" TV is an LCD TV, with a different backlighting scheme? In fact, your less expensive LED backlit sets are edge-lit, and can tend to have "flashlighting" and uneven lighting across the panel. CCFL has these issues also, but generally to a lesser extent. Unless you are getting a local-dimming LED LCD, it is not really worth paying a premium for. And an LED LCD still has the same off-axis viewing issues of any LCD, plus input lag and motion issues.
That said, a Plasma will certainly give you the best picture for movies, and especially the motion of sports, provided you can control the lighting, since they are not as bright.

Why do you need 120hz input?

Cinema with even frame duration without any processing or detection to interpolate even the same frames five times over (5:5). What is presented to the TV is what is displayed... Plus to do the 5:5 the display mode would need to be changed, and I don't care for waiting for a new display mode to be set automatically and the screen flashing. I like to let MPC-HC play every file in the folder, and I like to seamlessly go from one episode to another. 120 Hz, for me, would take care of 24/1.001 and 60/1.001 stuff. I don't even care of the panel doesn't have response specs any better than a 60 Hz one, it would only ever display 60 at the most. I don't get why these plasma TVs can't simply be used to play every format NTSC and PAL with their 600 Hz sub-field drive.

New samsungs will take 120hz.

Won't the newer mitsubishi DLP's take 120hz as well?

Nothing takes 120 Hz on the market except CRTs, which are used on the market. Still, that is a monitor, not a TV, and I wouldn't want a 42, 47, or 50-inch CRT TV. HDMI has the bandwidth but it just isn't written in the standard as a supported format.

Honestly, my opinion is, if you're going to spend over 3k on a TV, you might as well buy a front projector (as opposed to a rear projector) for a full cinematic experience in the home. Then the size of your TV is only dictated by how large of a projection screen you purchase.

Not every room can accommodate a projector. And there is more to how large the picture can be than just the size of the screen. You have to factor in ambient lighting, throw distance of the lens, screen gains, distance from the screen to mount...Plus you need to factor in the additional cost of few hundred dollars more every 1500-3500 hours or so of viewing for bulb replacements. Then you need to factor in more money on a mount for the projector, the screen, speakers and receiver, ability to control ambient lighting, etc. Not worth the hassle to most people who spend $3000 on a TV when you'll easily be spending much more than that to get a good home cinema experience.

You should go to a Best Buy or wherever yourself and compare for yourself, everyone has different preferences.

That will help if you watch TV with lots of ambient florescent lights I suppose. You won't get an accurate opinion of how it'll look in your home but it does let you get hands on with the features and a general opinion of the set.

Anyone heard much about RVU technology yet?

They were making a big fuss about it at work. Basically a TV with built-in extender capabilities from what I understood...

Nothing takes 120 Hz on the market except CRTs, which are used on the market. Still, that is a monitor, not a TV, and I wouldn't want a 42, 47, or 50-inch CRT TV. HDMI has the bandwidth but it just isn't written in the standard as a supported format.

Vivatek Qumi will also take 120hz signal. There are more out there than you think, it is just over VGA and not HDMI.

Vivatek Qumi will also take 120hz signal. There are more out there than you think, it is just over VGA and not HDMI.

Let's see, it's not even a display, it's a projector. Its native resolution is only 1280x800.

The CRT's you were referring to that accepted 120hz were also projectors. The only actual sets were Barco's that had a front projector shooting off a mirror. I've had 3 of them, and they are most certainly display devices.

What is your argument here?

A projector is not a display, the screen is. This thread is about HDTVs. They're fine if you want a theater that is dedicated for that and dark, but most people don't sit in the pitch black to watch TV.

A projector is not a display, the screen is. This thread is about HDTVs. They're fine if you want a theater that is dedicated for that and dark, but most people don't sit in the pitch black to watch TV.

1. The screen... really? You are reaching.

2. Pretty sure the guy wanting 120hz input doesn't care about watching fricking dancing with the stars bro. Hence the request for 120hz input.

Pretty sure not everyone wants 120Hz for gaming. Some people want it to be able to play cinema and broadcast without having to deal with slow and annoying display mode changes, and because of processing. Pretty sure a small minority of people even want a dedicated theater room.

No doubt. I'd like 120hz input for 1080P but don't see it happening for a long time.

I used to be able to play fast paced games (shooters) without much issue. For the past few years, I've been getting queasy, motion sickness whenever I play for more than 10 minutes at a time. I would need to take breaks else I would want to throw up. Since then, I've resorted to strategy games (which is fine since I like them) but I would like to return to some shooters if possible.

With that said, is 120hz better for my situation? Would there be a difference between a 120hz TV and a 120hz monitor?

I used to be able to play fast paced games (shooters) without much issue. For the past few years, I've been getting queasy, motion sickness whenever I play for more than 10 minutes at a time. I would need to take breaks else I would want to throw up. Since then, I've resorted to strategy games (which is fine since I like them) but I would like to return to some shooters if possible.

With that said, is 120hz better for my situation? Would there be a difference between a 120hz TV and a 120hz monitor?

A 120 Hz monitor is 120 Hz. A 120 Hz TV just makes up fake frames from a lower source frame rate.

My wish list:
1) Full-array LED
2) 240MHz (120/eye 3D)
3) 4K resolution

240 MHz!?!

My wish pertaining to LEDs is that they would stop farting around with OLEDs and get back to trying to make a display with traditional LED technology.

Back