2011 - Best HTPC Software for WMC/MCE

What logic? He says "codec packs should not be used" then suggests Shark's. :rolleyes:

"Codec pack" is a relative term. Basically, all Shark's pack is doing for you is simplifing the config of FFDshow and Haali. Six of one, half-dozen of another. :rolleyes:

If this setup doesn't work for you, you fall into one of two situations: 1 - You have some obscure filetypes or software you are running. Avoiding this situation would be ideal, but if you can't help it, it's understandable. 2 - Something else has jacked up your system. Installing the typical codec pack, such as K-lite or CCCP, is only going to be a temp fix until the offending piece of software decides it's time to reclaim it's default settings.

"Codec pack" is a relative term. Basically, all Shark's pack is doing for you is simplifing the config of FFDshow and Haali. Six of one, half-dozen of another. :rolleyes:

If this setup doesn't work for you, you fall into one of two situations: 1 - You have some obscure filetypes or software you are running. Avoiding this situation would be ideal, but if you can't help it, it's understandable. 2 - Something else has jacked up your system. Installing the typical codec pack, such as K-lite or CCCP, is only going to be a temp fix until the offending piece of software decides it's time to reclaim it's default settings.

Okay, I'll roll with the "relative term" thing.

Tell me this: why is Shark007 is fine to use, but not CCCP?

Both packs include FFDShow, Haali's, VSFilter/DirectVobSub, and Gabest.

CCCP uses CoreWavPack; Shark007 uses AC3Filter.

I count six filters for CCCP (counting Gabest MPEG-2 and FLV separately, since the installer gives you the option to include one of, both, or none of these), same as Shark007 (the installer groups Gabest components all into one, since I'm not sure how many filters are actually in it, I'll count it as one only).

Shark007 includes an app to simplify the configuration of FFDShow (plus other filters bundled with it, actually). CCCP does the same, although not as robust as Shark007's.

Both also give you the option of choosing which filters to install.

And although this isn't as quantifiable as the others I've mentioned, in my experience, both packs uninstall very cleanly on XP and Vista.

You make it seem like CCCP is in the same end of the spectrum that K-Lite is, but it actually has a lot in common with Shark007.

Do any of these software improve WMC's DVR functionality? For example adding another show recording option that does "New only", rather than just record series. I'd rather not have to manually delete/deselect all the reruns that get broadcasted. It would be great if WMC's DVR functionality could even remotely compare to a real DVR like TiVo.

There already is an option for this. I know I do it on my WMC.. It works great.. Most of my shows are set to new only..naturally.

Media Center Studio has become essentially worthless since the MCE go that update awhile back.

Media Center Studio has become essentially worthless since the MCE go that update awhile back.

What update is that, Although Media Center would change themes for me, I could never get the order of the icons to ever actually set in wmc7.

What update is that, Although Media Center would change themes for me, I could never get the order of the icons to ever actually set in wmc7.

Here's the thread discussing the problem and the various fixes for it.

http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/for...longer-customize-menu-after-mce-runs-updates/

Basically anytime MS updates MC, it resets the shell to its' default format. Go to the last page of that thread for a script that you can set up in Task Scheduler that will automatically fix the problem after any update.

doing a bit of thread Necro here, but for a good cause.

is there a modern (circa 2013) equivalent to WebGuide? the last time I tried this out I had to use Remote Potato and it was a pain and barely worked.

doing a bit of thread Necro here, but for a good cause.

is there a modern (circa 2013) equivalent to WebGuide? the last time I tried this out I had to use Remote Potato and it was a pain and barely worked.

Check out Ceton My Media Center (formerlly known as Ceton Companion). It is a mobile centric application but works quite well.

Also, this:
threadnecro.jpg

I bought an OEM BD drive and have no way of playing BD on my htpc? Any software that can do that, that is free?

Running Win7 and WMC for CableCard TV

Last edited:
I bought an OEM BD drive and have no way of playing BD on my htpc? Any software that can do that, that is free?

XBMC Frodo is rumored to. I haven't yet had the chance to test its playback abilities though.

Check out Ceton My Media Center (formerlly known as Ceton Companion). It is a mobile centric application but works quite well.

2nd that. I will say that the updated Remote Potato is working well with my android phone. Well enough I might purchase the version for live tv.

Back