200GB IDE: $40 AR ($80-40), Feb 19-25

Amazing price, but it's a one-year-warranty Maxtor. Pretty big risk, IMO.

I've got almost a half-dozen "one year warranty drives" in my systems, not one has failed yet - some going on 5 years of use.

YMMV but the concern is overblown, IMO.

BB

I have 2 Maxtors in my current rig - one since 2003, so I have faith.

-bZj

Awesome I'm gonna get it to throw in my Tivo and maybe some as backup/storage drives in my PCs. And to those who whin and moan about the warranty you get what you pay for what do you expect a lifetime guarentee?

I wonder if BB has this same model in stock. That could really sweeten this deal.

Now to go to Geeks and get another Metal Gear Box.

Yeah i was trying to order it tonight or morning should I say, since its AM time. The damn site's giving me all sorts of errors whenever I browse and it was taking forever to load earlier. The Easy rebate isn't showing up for this too although its already posted on the Staples online ad.

I think I'm going to try to wake up earlier like before 3pm to get to my local store and give it a try. BTW how fast is the Easy Rebate for you guys who have done it in the past? Thanks.

i hit up staples for black friday, and all of my rebate came about 3 weeks ago. Thx op; i'm going to pick this up this afternoon i think for my external

DevilDoc said:
I wonder if BB has this same model in stock. That could really sweeten this deal.

Considering that BB has had 7200.7 200gb drives selling for $80 for weeks now?

Just picked mine up and submitted my rebates. My file server will be pleased. :cool:

DSC00809.sized.jpg

Going to have to go to the store, trying to order it online is a pain in the a$$. Shows up as $109 with no other rebates showing up..

Got one of each 50pk blank DVDs. now I have 150 DVDs and no burner.... :D Well, not installed - it's sitting in the corner with everythign else, waitin for the last pcs of my build to be baught.

-bZj

Abyss of Borg said:
And to those who whin and moan about the warranty you get what you pay for what do you expect a lifetime guarentee?
First, speak English please. If you have three separate thoughts, don't make us do the work in figuring out what you're trying to say. Separate them with periods, commas, SOMETHING.

Second, no, some of us don't expect a lifetime warranty, but it'd be nice if Maxtor was confident enough about their drives to at least give them three years' warranty. I knew that when a big chunk of the industry reduced their warranties from three years to one that it was a bad sign for hard drive reliability, and Seagate gained themselves many loyal customers by upping their warranties (to five years) instead of reducing them.

This is a nice deal, but if I could spend say, $60 after rebate on a Seagate, I would. And have, actually.

visited my local staples at 6pm (yeah a few hours too late). All the HD's were sold out. Manager said there were about 70 people in line (I was shocked to hear that there's so many techies that live around my area that actually check out these deals). I also went for the Uniden 485 handset but it was unfortunately sold out. I went home and ordered both online and did the easy rebates immediately

For those of you who are confused about how some of the coupons work, it comes in the form of a rebate as well. Only the instant coupons are applied instantly. So there will be two rebates that come with the 200gb maxtor hd.

It's okay. There's stll several days and it might be possible they will get more stock in. On the other hand these sales could mean that they're clearing out certain stock. I mean the phone was a freaking steal in my opinion. I just hope Staples doesn't call me with bad news.

It happened to me once when I ordered a leather chair and they offered to automatically charge me the retail non-sale price when it comes back in stock but I declined. I guess they don't offer to reserve the sale price for you or offer any perks since you placed an order and they found out they didn't have any stock.

I think I'm going to pickup 4x 200gb maxtors for Linux based media server. Gotta wait for the online offer to get in stock because I'd have to drive 50 miles round trip. :-/

PorkCharSui said:
I think I'm going to pickup 4x 200gb maxtors for Linux based media server. Gotta wait for the online offer to get in stock because I'd have to drive 50 miles round trip. :-/

i wouldn't count on the stock to be back online... i'd say if you want em, you better start driving.

compusa has the same hd for 30 bucks after rebate you know? It's just that I prefer the easy rebates over an cut/clip rebates.

They seemed to have plenty in stock when I picked mine up on the first day. I guess there aren't enough techs around my area to line up and empty them out. I walked in around 12 or 1 and all I saw was a handful of older moms with DVD spindles. :D I walked to the harddrives, where noone was standing, and picked up the only one they had on the shelf. I then walked up to the manager on the floor and said "I need three more of these" which he pulled out with relative ease.

I have a RAID-5 card on the way for these bad boys, so I don't care about the 1 year warranty personally. My data will be safe unless two drive crap out at once. And for $40, you can't really complain (at least, as long as you get your rebates). Still weary about it, but we'll see what happens.

tsuehpsyde said:
They seemed to have plenty in stock when I picked mine up on the first day. I guess there aren't enough techs around my area to line up and empty them out. I walked in around 12 or 1 and all I saw was a handful of older moms with DVD spindles. :D I walked to the harddrives, where noone was standing, and picked up the only one they had on the shelf. I then walked up to the manager on the floor and said "I need three more of these" which he pulled out with relative ease.

I have a RAID-5 card on the way for these bad boys, so I don't care about the 1 year warranty personally. My data will be safe unless two drive crap out at once. And for $40, you can't really complain (at least, as long as you get your rebates). Still weary about it, but we'll see what happens.

I wouldn't be weary about staples rebates... they are the best I've used so far... I've had atleast 12 of them and got every single one. Plus they are a breeze to do online. Staples is one of the only places I don't mind rebate deals from.

I checked my local staples this morning and they had none out--as usual with any hot deal. I asked my fiance to check the staples by her office, and they didn't have any on the shelf. She asked them to check the inventory to see if any were at a staples nearby, and they said "Oh look, we have 16!" and pulled a couple out for her from the back.

So if they aren't on the shelves you might ask. I'm not sure if somebody was purposely stashing them or what, but she got 2! I used the $10 off $40 coupon, so $30 AR is a pretty good deal for a 200gb pata drive. Can't really argue at $0.15/GB

noworries said:
I checked my local staples this morning and they had none out--as usual with any hot deal. I asked my fiance to check the staples by her office, and they didn't have any on the shelf. She asked them to check the inventory to see if any were at a staples nearby, and they said "Oh look, we have 16!" and pulled a couple out for her from the back.

So if they aren't on the shelves you might ask. I'm not sure if somebody was purposely stashing them or what, but she got 2! I used the $10 off $40 coupon, so $30 AR is a pretty good deal for a 200gb pata drive. Can't really argue at $0.15/GB

Yeah they didnt' have any on the shelves when I went either... but I had no problems getting 3 from the back.

Lucky for me, one of the guys I told about this sale last week swung by today to say that he picked one up at the local store (local being 12 miles from work/30 miles for home) and they had plenty...

So I swung by this afternoon following work and I have me one. Woohoo!

Went to two stores and both were sold completely out. One offered to have 4 shipped to the local store from a store about 100 miles from us, but that store would only ship one. Greedy bastards.

I ended up contacting CS at staples.com and they've placed me on backorder with the option to cancel if they can't place the order by the 25th. :: crosses fingers ::

Picked up 4 yesterday afternoon. They came in store for the local staples. Though I do wish I had paid attention and got the 10 off 40 rebate coupons also from staples.

Back