200gb boot drive, reinstalling XP

cbass2

n00b
heres my sitituation:

i just got a 200gb seatgate, and i have a couple questions about the 136gb limit when reinstalling.

heres how i partitioned it so far:
~20 OS
~120 images,mp3,whatever
~60 blank so far, mp3's maybe

heres what i did:
-limited the drive to 136gb and made first 2 partitions
-installed XP pro on 20gig partition
-installed SP1
-enabled 48bit LBA
-partitioned remaining 60gig

everything works fine for now, but im worried about when i reinstall, what will happen to data stored on the drive past the 136gb point.

once i reinstall, and windows is not SP1 (not able to recognize drives past 136gb), will i lose all information on the 60gig partition? will i experience data curruption accoss the whole drive?

also, my mobo (kt3u-r) has onboard raid (which im not using)
would it solve my problem by simply making it a single drive on the raid controler?

Originally posted by cbass2

once i reinstall, and windows is not SP1 (not able to recognize drives past 136gb), will i lose all information on the 60gig partition? will i experience data curruption accoss the whole drive?

nope the partition table is already written as is the data, you just wont be able to access from that install it till you load SP1

thanks,

i guess i was worring for nothing. i can now rest a little easier knowing my data is safe when i reinstall.:D

ps
im really liking the preformance boost my os got from using a 20gb partition on a 200gb drive, compared to what i had before, just a dedicated 20gb os drive.

Back