2008 R2 Server: Old and new computer name.

zephyr

n00b
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
19
I have a 2008 R2 Server running AD-DS, DHCP, DNS and some other things.

The problem I have is that the server is listed twice in Network Places with two different names.
I changed the name of the server somewhere inbetween adding the roles and now I have //Server and //WIN-XXXXXX having the same shared folders.

Is there a way to remove the //WIN-XXXXXX entry??
 
Check for the old name in AD and DNS. Also see if in AD you still see the old name as a DC along with the new name. In the future when you want to change the name of a server that is also a DC, use netdom. Google netdom and there are tons of guides its very easy to do from a CMD.
 
Well, I have a DNS server which have the old name. In AD everything seems to have the new name. Is the DNS server my problem here?

 
Yes. Delete the old name DNS entry because they new name and old name use the same pingable IP address.
 
I tried to use netdom to change the name.
I used this command.

netdom renamecomputer WIN-GE023SOGBVU /newname:SERVER /userD:HJEMME\Administrator /passwordD:MyPassword /userO:HJEMME\Administrator /passwordO:MyPassword /force /reboot:60

The command completed successfully, but i still have both names under network places.

Any clues??
 
Yes. Delete the old name DNS entry because they new name and old name use the same pingable IP address.

I deleted a Host (A) record under hjemme.domain, but this had no effect.

Do you have a more detailed guide of how I can do this??
 
Back
Top