2008 Lian Li PC-V1000

KrylonArt

[H]ard|Gawd
Looks like Lian Li has added some new products to their website. For all those who were concerned with them replacing the V-1000 with a non ventilated version, don't worry. They just switched it from a reverse atx to standard atx and added/changed a few features. PC-V1000Z They also added the PC-V1010 which doesn't feature all the ventilation holes on the front bezel.

I like the one without the holes, but why the hell did they switch back to normal atx...

I like the extended power supply bracket... V1000 was too small for any decent size PSU... forcing you to buy a v1200 just for a bigger PSU was silly... or removing HDD cages...

And reverse HDD's so the cables are hidden now :) (atleast in the v1010)

Looks like good upgrades

For me it's questionable. Hotswap HDD rack is a nice plus, but nothing extraordinary (you must open the other side anyway for good cable routing. Now standard length (or even smaller than standard) SATA cables are enough, on other side we are again in trap of P180/P182, otherwise know as "need for long 4/8-pin power connector". For me this case is Lian Li version of P182 layout.

wow the first one is an awesome improvement with the exception of reverse atx being gone...

They went away from the reverse ATX because most modern motherboards use a heatpipe setup to cool their chipsets/vregs, and heatpipes suffer a small penalty to their efficiency when the "far" end is below the hot/chipset end.

Plus some motherboards where the socket was very close to the edge of the motherboard ended up being incompatible with large heatsinks in the reverse ATX cases. (For example on some boards you have to turn a TRUE120 to run parallel to the divider, not to the back panel, which is +5C right there.)

But on other side large part of V-Series "fanbase" was because of reversed ATX layout. What is next ? PC-A05 with standard ATX ? :)

Edit: Oh, and is this now a full replacement or just another model. Will PC-V1000 and PC-V1000Z coexist ?

So i got one of the last original PC-V1000's :). By the way, according to the shop where i usually buy the cases, these cases cannot be expected in Europe sooner than end of may. He said there was no shipment of these cases to Europe so far, and it takes 5-6 weeks for ship to travel from China to Germany (EU headquarters of Lian Li).

The V1000Z is really nice, wonder how much it will cost? I don't like the window though.

1000zu9.jpg

^HDD cage like the blackbird?

First flyer under Lian-Li accessories. They also use it on the Lancool PC-K9. Lian-Li part EX-H33. I also like the triple fan top covers for the A-70/71 and the replacement top cover for the PC-P80 Armorsuit to remove that hump.

V Series Youtube video

Edit: Added Lian-Li Youtube video showcasing the new V Series

I like the 1000Z but I despise it being ATX vs BTX which is why I bought a V1000BW PlusII off Directron a few weeks ago on sale for $179. I absolutely love this case. Why they would take a near perfect case (IMO) and subtract more than they added is beyond me. I agree with the BTX hype...it's the way of the future. ATX used to suffice because cpus put out more heat than gpus, so having the cpu above the gpu was a better idea since heat rises and the hotter air contributor would be on the topmost part of the case.

Nowadays - gpus put out more heat than cpus; everyone knows this. Therefore I don't see why BTX isn't better; I know I think it is. I prefer it, I know that. And my lone 'worry' about the V1000 was not an issue; my VX550 psu fit fine, I didn't have to remove the right HD cages.

Lian-Li part EX-H33 according to their flyer. Which means that this might be something that can be modified onto other cases. One can only hope! :D

Well, i'm waiting for EX-33 too - that's the only Lian Li option here in Europe to have front intake in place of 5.25" positions (the other non-Lian Li option is Scythe Kama Bay). Unfortunately PC-343 fan module is not sold here in Slovakia.

And EX-33 fits V1000 style too :)

I like the 1000Z but I despise it being ATX vs BTX

The V1000 is nothing but an ATX board in a reverse position, not BTX. BTX would still have the case open from the left side of the case as you face it, not the right. BTX is a completely different form factor and was mostly used by OEMs such as Dell (who went more towards rATX instead of BTX) and Gateway. I'm sure that there are some individuals out there who are going to find a way to mod the V1000Z into a rATX style and make it look stock like the V1000 a la Murderbox with the TJ-07.

You're right; now that I think about it, the Dimension 510 we have where I work (which is a BTX) has the board being on the right wall and opening from the left like you mentioned.

They went away from the reverse ATX because most modern motherboards use a heatpipe setup to cool their chipsets/vregs, and heatpipes suffer a small penalty to their efficiency when the "far" end is below the hot/chipset end.

This has been disproven countless times...

Funny thing is, that is exactly the reason claimed by Lian Li for the change:

Lian Li Website said:
Today’s motherboards using heat pipe solution to solve the heating problem, therefore the all new V series change the motherboard back to up-right position, and there are opening on he motherboard tray allow to air to cool the rear of the motherboard.

Going to assume Lian Li knows what they are talking about when they claim it as a reason for changing one of the most attractive things about that case series. I'm going to assume they didn't just do it for no reason.

Awesome scans but why is the Accessories 2 scan low res? The one with stuff Im actually interested in :(

The V1000Z is looking good but that window is a little weird.

if they made a full tower version of the V1000z id be all over it. I dont care for rATX

They sort of do, it's the V2010... but it doesn't have the full face ventilation holes, only on the front fan location and the drive bay covers.

Awesome scans but why is the Accessories 2 scan low res? The one with stuff Im actually interested in :(

For some reason that one isn't letting me save it at 1mb file size, it keeps defaulting to 800x600 even though the file I have is larger. What items are you looking at in particular? Edit: Higher resolution image link available

Funny thing is, that is exactly the reason claimed by Lian Li for the change:

Going to assume Lian Li knows what they are talking about when they claim it as a reason for changing one of the most attractive things about that case series. I'm going to assume they didn't just do it for no reason.

Dudes, I own a V1000B and have dealt with three other V series cases: one with a Striker, one with a P5WDH-Dlx, one with a Commando, and one with an A8N. These are quite heat-pipe intensive boards. I noticed no difference in chipset temperature when I turned the cases upside-down. Given that you have a side fan (V1000B+II) or decent case airflow then the ATX/R-ATX orientation doesn't matter. Heat rises, but I reckon that the conductivity of aluminum is a stronger force.

And my statement was simply pointing out that Lian-Li claims it as a reason for changing to a traditional ATX design from reverse ATX, which I found to be funny.

Back