2008 Displays

karatekid

Limp Gawd
I'm wondering what will happen this year as far as lcd and other display technologies are concerned. I'm hoping new displays screens will be available for the consumers this year. Anyone have predictions?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm.... These are complete guesses

- TN's will have more Wide Gammut CCFL's

- Scaler Chips on 30inchers will render them too laggy for games.

- WG-CCFL's will match LED color gammuts, but LED's will minimize backlight bleed... Oh yeh, and all the LED screens you want will cost 4 Billion Dollars.

- OLED Screens will be 6 Billion Dollars and 45 cents

I hope we get a refresh of some 27" LCDs. I'd particularly like to see a Dell 2708WFP.

I hope S-IPS panels begin to dominate the higher priced LCD market aka quality 24"+.

Perfection of panel technology allowing better color accuracy as well as minimizing current defects? Allowing for the most important wish noted at end of post.

Oh and the all important: lowering of costs.

Maybe most importantly:
All major manufacturers adopt a zero dead pixel return policy... since paying a ton of money for what should be deemed a defective product is unacceptable.

We won't be seeing bigger than 30 inch models, because that would be too big for a computer monitor. We also won't be seeing resolutions higher than 2560x1600, since none of the display standards (DVI, HDMI, Display Port, etc) supports resolutions higher than that at 60Hz.

30 inchers from all brands will have a scaler and analog inputs. The starting price of ~$1200 won't be dropping much with all the new features and the lack of a bigger / higher res new model.

The starting price of a 24" will drop to ~$220, like 22" did in 2007, and like 20" did in 2006. With the public's increasing awareness of what high definition means, being 1080p will help 24 inchers sell and drive prices down.

So that means we'll have 1920x1200 from ~$200 to ~$800. How will monitors differentiate themselves to fill the price range? We have the obvious panel type differences, adjustable stands, TV inputs, and looking sexy. What will be new in 2008 is:

- HDMI / DisplayPort
- Webcam
- LED backlight
- Wide gamut CCFL, and the marketing department endlessly boosting color gamut %. Since we already maxed out viewing angle and response time we have to compete with other numbers.
- On that note, dynamic contrast ratio should be making its way to monitors.

LCD TV market is different. They can still make TV's bigger and cheaper. They also have other new gimmicky features to play with, like 120Hz and Deep Color HDMI or whatever.

We won't be seeing bigger than 30 inch models, because that would be too big for a computer monitor.
While I agree that greater than 30" will likely not make a debut this year, I believe we haven't seen the practical upper size limit of the computer monitor. I think the size ceiling will probably top out around 40", possibly even larger.

We also won't be seeing resolutions higher than 2560x1600, since none of the display standards (DVI, HDMI, Display Port, etc) supports resolutions higher than that at 60Hz.
There are already resolutions higher than 2560x1600 and have been since the beginning of the decade albeit at lower refresh rates and smaller sizes. These resolutions of 3840 x 2400 (WQUXGA) require dual dual-link DVI, IIRC. Toshiba recently announced a new model at 22" costing about $17000 strictly for pro use.

I hope prices on 22" widescreen displays fall well below $200

LED's will be a 2009 thing, there just wont be enough panels using them this year.

WG-CCFL's will match LED gamut's.

I'm wondering what will happen this year as far as lcd and other display technologies are concerned. I'm hoping new displays screens will be available for the consumers this year. Anyone have predictions?

CRT will be BACK
mouse%20cord.gif

:D

EDIT: Seriously…. Samsung will make a revised advanced tuned moded version from the 226BW (S model) with better colors, full viewing angles, 0 input lag, 0ms response time, some material between glossy & matte, with a super HD camera built in …and well…. with the Type-R sticker built in and some serious overclocking potentials

Are you serious about that? There's been some speculation recently about how such a surface would perform.

I don’t think I was serious about that, I was serious about the Typr-R thing though :D
but you can achieve that by yourself..just get a glossy screen and put something on it that would reduce the glossy effect, i.e. some sort of a not fully transparent A3 binding paper

I predict, well I am hoping ;) , 1080p projectors will become affordable for gaming.

I will then get 3 of them for surround gaming, and break my neck looking side to side :p

I predict all the manufactuers will get drunk together and everyone for a year will introduce a mystery panel in all their models. This way, consumers will be desensitised into accepting any damn panel they dang well give you from the warehouse.

I would like to see upgradeable firmware on panels eventually to fix bugs and add functionality to things like the OSD. I believe most upgrades are done by technicians currently.

Kinda like the graphics card market. They have upgradeable BIOSes, yet the companies (i.e. nVIDIA, AMD, etc.) dont really publicize it and make the BIOS and software available to do the upgrades.

I would like to see input lag on manufacturer's specification sheets and tested in more monitor reviews.

As far as LCD, you'll see continued price drop on CCFL panels, gradual shift toward LED lit panels, not much momentum towards S-IPS (too expensive to produce, plus people continue to buy cheap TN panels because price is king.). DisplayPort will continue making in-roads, especially when graphic cards manufacturers ship out the next gen cards like the NVida 9000 series. You will also see 18" LCD panels just for the heck of it.

On the other display technology, there isn't much incentive for manufacturers to go into new technology: they will milk LCD and Plasma for a while longer. Bigger LCD TVs with LED lighting, 120Hz speeds and super-contrast plasmas with super-size screens, that will be the trend. You might see an odd SED panel pop up too. OLED will be the buzz word, but will be price prohibitive.

The death of Rear Projection TVs is again forecast, but it might turn out to be a non-event as there is a movement underway to shift light sources from lamp and LED to Laser. (Google Mitsubishi laser DLP TV.) DLP-based Rear Projection TVs with laser light at 300Hz speeds - this configuration will beat the pants off any LCD and Plasma in clarity, contrast, refresh rates and black levels. With RPs getting slimmer and slimmer, RPs are not dead yet.

IMHO :)

As far as LCD, you'll see continued price drop on CCFL panels, gradual shift toward LED lit panels, not much momentum towards S-IPS (too expensive to produce, plus people continue to buy cheap TN panels because price is king.). DisplayPort will continue making in-roads, especially when graphic cards manufacturers ship out the next gen cards like the NVida 9000 series. You will also see 18" LCD panels just for the heck of it.

On the other display technology, there isn't much incentive for manufacturers to go into new technology: they will milk LCD and Plasma for a while longer. Bigger LCD TVs with LED lighting, 120Hz speeds and super-contrast plasmas with super-size screens, that will be the trend. You might see an odd SED panel pop up too. OLED will be the buzz word, but will be price prohibitive.

The death of Rear Projection TVs is again forecast, but it might turn out to be a non-event as there is a movement underway to shift light sources from lamp and LED to Laser. (Google Mitsubishi laser DLP TV.) DLP-based Rear Projection TVs with laser light at 300Hz speeds - this configuration will beat the pants off any LCD and Plasma in clarity, contrast, refresh rates and black levels. With RPs getting slimmer and slimmer, RPs are not dead yet.

IMHO :)

IPS will remain in the highend regardless of price or whether it uses LED backlighting or not it wont matter. The absence of any contrast shift is reason enough and the 110-125% gamut has already been achieved with CCFL's.

Back