2008, a terrible year for PC gaming.

NO, 1988-1993 was THE era... ;)

I was 1-5 years old at that time so I wouldn't know :D

Anyway, overall I think 2008 was "ok," but there wasn't really anything that stood out. Having decent games doesn't mean it was a "terrible" year. I think it was worse the year or 2 before that.

Takes a lot for me to get interested in a game, and personally, L4D alone did it for me. I've been thoroughly entertained since that game was released.

2008 is not as good as in "THE era" as mentioned in previous posts, but it wasn't all that bad considering we are in the era of ports and less AAA titles produced for the PC.

Mass Effect
Sins of a Solar Empire
Kings Bounty, the legend
Fallout 3
The Witcher, Enhanced edition
Dead Space
Left for Dead
Warhammer Online
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
mount and blade (indie title)

All those games I enjoyed and were released in 2008. It was better than 2007 imo. For me the only disaster game-wise was Age of Conan, waste of money and time. I have enjoyed warhammer online much better. I have especially enjoyed fallout 3, playing with mods and exploring the game world.

If I had to grade 2008 I would give it a B grade. If we were comparing it to the pre-console glory years like 1999, or 2001 I would scale it down, but those days are long gone. My grade scales to the new era-post 2004.

QFT

Diablo
Mario Kart 64
SOTN
Star Fox 64
Goldeneye
FF7
Fallout
AOE
Quake II
Gran Turismo
Resident evil2
Tekken3
StarCraft
Metal gear solid
Fallout 2
Xenogears
Half life
Zelda Ocarina of time

Wow that's an awesome list but that's not all PC gaming :D.

I agree, but they shouldn't have let their "bread and butter" go. Half-Life is what made Valve what they are if you ask me, so please throw your resources into your old school fans too. The thing that bothers me the most isn't the fact that its taken so long to get the game, rather the fact that we havent heard anything about it at all. We have zero legit news other than some basic concept art and speculation on steam forums. Please take your time to create a good game, but at the same time, go give an interview or release some development videos to tease us with.

Maybe there is a reason. You act like valve would walk away from HL. It's coming, and it's coming from Valve. They keep locked lips and take their time and put out quality games.

Maybe there is a reason. You act like valve would walk away from HL. It's coming, and it's coming from Valve. They keep locked lips and take their time and put out quality games.

Have everybody forgotten about the craptastic sound stu-stu-stu-stu-stuttering in HL2?
Vavle are no coding "gods", they can really mess up too...

Have everybody forgotten about the craptastic sound stu-stu-stu-stu-stuttering in HL2?
Vavle are no coding "gods", they can really mess up too...

By quality I think he means gaming, enjoyment quality, not neccerally coding quality. That being said at least none of their games suffer from consolitias, and run great on most hardware out their be it low end or top end..

Standards and expectations are much higher today than they were 5 or 10 years ago. Even more so for the enthusiast crowd.

I was 1-5 years old at that time so I wouldn't know :D

Anyway, overall I think 2008 was "ok," but there wasn't really anything that stood out. Having decent games doesn't mean it was a "terrible" year. I think it was worse the year or 2 before that.

Lol, good point.

Perspective, no?

Back