2008/2012 Hyper-V Server

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
If you are to run Server 2008 or Server 2012 Hyper-V Server how do you manage the system?

I know it is all Command Line.

So what I am asking:
1) How do you add virtual machines? I am still a noob at Hyper-V but I use the Virtual Machine Manager that is built in. How do you do this when it is all CLI?

2) How do you monitor health of the server? Normally I will install Dell OpenManage or some other management tool on the host server and it will report back. Now that I don't have a GUI for the host what do you do?

It's not all CLI, HV server 2008r2/2012 can be managed from another server or win 7/8 box with RSAT, and you can probably install those tools anyway, even core installations still have basic windows functionality, the CLI is just a cmd box, still has task manager via c-a-d.

I'm seconding -Dragon- on this one. RSAT gives you the GUI you want, if you need it.

The point of being CLI-only is to reduce the footprint of the configuration VM that runs on the hypervisor. It's the same idea as using Server Core rather than the full-blown GUI installation. In server 2012, you can toggle back and forth between these modes without reinstallation, which is awesome.

You need a Server with Hyper-V
You need a PC with Windows 7 and the Hyper-V management tools which you can download from MS.

Using your workstation and the management tool you can connect to the Hyper-V server and create, delete, and configure the Virtual Machines and some Host options (Network, and default storage locations).

The hardest part for a newbie is updating the firewall on the Hyper-V host to allow you to manage it remotely from your workstation. Once you do that you can open Computer Management on your workstation and have it connect to your hyper-v server.

BTW: It gets really tricky if it's a server you built yourself and you need to install drivers for important components. ::shudder::

So am I reading this right the only way to manage a 2012 Hyper-v machine is through Win8/Server 2012?

no, 2 posts up, you add the HyperV Management tools to win 7 machines and you can do it

you can also just run regular server and add the role, the overhead is minimal, and you can use the sedrver GUI locally to manage it

no, 2 posts up, you add the HyperV Management tools to win 7 machines and you can do it

you can also just run regular server and add the role, the overhead is minimal, and you can use the sedrver GUI locally to manage it

For Hyper-V 2008 yes, but it doesnt look like it for Hyper-V 2012. At least in my quick testing on my machines.

Back