2007fpw or vx2025 for image quality

zflajs

Limp Gawd
Dell has the S-IPS panel. Both display 16.7 mil colors. I've heard great color reproduction about both monitors (I own the 2025) but which has the best image quality out of the two? Last question, can the 2007fpw switch between portrait and landscape mode like the vx2025 can not do?

I'm in the same dilemna as you too.. The A02 revisions seem to have fixed everything.

AFAIK, the Dell can switch to either protrait/landscape mode, as it has a rotating/pivoting stand.

The 2007wfp will have better color reproduction because its an S-IPS and uses an LG panel like the expensive NEC model and i believe the vx2025 uses PVA.

the viewsonic's color reproduction and sharpness is just as good as the dell's. the dell has more inputs and better ergomomics. the dell's had banding issues but a firmware update is supposed to have resolved the problem.

the problem with dell is that they change panel components without any sort of announcment or disclosure (some of the 2007's came w/ the same panel (later revision) as the 2005s), so there's no gaurantee which panel you may get at any given time.

CaiNaM said:
the viewsonic's color reproduction and sharpness is just as good as the dell's. the dell has more inputs and better ergomomics. the dell's had banding issues but a firmware update is supposed to have resolved the problem.

the problem with dell is that they change panel components without any sort of announcment or disclosure (some of the 2007's came w/ the same panel (later revision) as the 2005s), so there's no gaurantee which panel you may get at any given time.

The panel problem is what is worrying me, i've heard people say the 2007 uses a samsung pva or mva panel. Also the text on the viewsonic is a bit hard to read under certain circumstances (most likely becuase it hasn't been calibrated correctly.) The pro's about the dell that I am particularly interested in would be the ergonomics (i.e. portrait pivoting) and color reproduction. Right now my viewsonic is amazing for games and the colors are alright. For my second monitor i'm looking at something that will display well readable text, great color reproduction in images, portrait pivoting, application software use and well thats all I can think of right now. I'm sure I can get another viewsonic and have alot of these features but i'm also sure there is another monitor out there that is better for what i'm looking for.

The 2007WFP has very clear, pixel perfect text without any blurring or shadowing. And don't worry about the panel; every one they ship out now is the new A02 revision. I've got an A01, and even it has the new firmware; they really jumped on that problem quickly.

zflajs said:
The panel problem is what is worrying me, i've heard people say the 2007 uses a samsung pva or mva panel. Also the text on the viewsonic is a bit hard to read under certain circumstances (most likely becuase it hasn't been calibrated correctly.) The pro's about the dell that I am particularly interested in would be the ergonomics (i.e. portrait pivoting) and color reproduction. Right now my viewsonic is amazing for games and the colors are alright. For my second monitor i'm looking at something that will display well readable text, great color reproduction in images, portrait pivoting, application software use and well thats all I can think of right now. I'm sure I can get another viewsonic and have alot of these features but i'm also sure there is another monitor out there that is better for what i'm looking for.

many of the first 2007's that were shipped came with an IPS panel (LG-Philips LM201WE2) panel. some of the later one's came with the LM201W01 panel which were used in the 2005's. while Dell's habit of swapping LCD tech arbitrarily is a fair cause for concern, they do seem to have high standards for quality and seem to react farily quickly to issues (such as the 2007's banding problem). still, as quoted in behardware's review of the 2007WFP :

Dell doesn’t need us to the point that they chose to do something that seems completely incomprehensible to us. They have kept the nasty habit of changing the panel depending on their stocks. You can buy a monitor equipped with a specific panel, but it won’t be the same the next month. Obviously Dell takes a great liberty here as the 2007WFP can be equipped with IPS panels… or MVAs. It will depend on the season, wholesale prices they obtain, or possible product shortages. Liquid crystals change as well as electronic components, afterglow, viewing angles, and movies. So, how can consumers rely on test results under these circumstances?

regarding the viewsonic, when i initially started using it, i was not sure i liked it or not. after a day of fiddling (and switching to DVI) my opinion is the text is razor sharp, color reproduction is very good with a good differentiation between various levels of black (such as when playing quake3 or FEAR).

the "graininess" (is that a word, heh?) which had initially bothered me disappeared with the move to DVI, leaving little for me to complain about.

i do like the NEC, but for that price i think the bigger Gateway FPD2185W is a better value - and it rotates to portrait mode! ;) it also has some other nice features and supports HDCP (as does the NEC).

Back