• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

2005WFP S-Video problem

lumpy

n00b
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
7
Hi All, first post on this board but ive been reading a fair bit on here lately, primarily all the posts on the Dell 20" widescreen.

I finally decided to get one as they were selling at about £330 which seemed a pretty good deal.

I was aware of the backlight problems and to be honest wasnt too bothered by it as every flatscreen I have used so far has this issue to some degree. However, it arrived on Saturday and I have a few problems.

Firstly the backlight bleeding is pretty bad in the bottom left corner, I could live with this if it was the only issue to be honest.
There is a pixel stuck on 'red' right in the middle of the screen which I dont notice when gaming but is annoying when using white backgrounds in windows.
The power cord is faulty. If you touch it you can hear a small 'fizz' sound and the power sometimes cuts out. I tried another cord and its find so I'm sure its the power cord thats at fault.

I'll be getting this one RMA'd because of the above, however I also have an issue with the S-Video in on the monitor that I wanted to run past you guys to see if this is common problem or not. Bascially the picture is coming through balck and white with a whole load of intererence. It's an svideo connection from a vcr and if I use the same vcr/cable and plug in into the s-video socket on my tv its fine, so no problems with the vcr or cable. I couldnt find any settings to configure with regards to the s-video port in the monitors menu so I am assuming its faulty.

Has anyone else seen this problem or am I missing something that I need to do with this monitor?

Any thoughts or comments on my 'not so successful' first 2005WFP issues would be appreciated :)

Cheers!
 
Well I called Dell to get a replacement yesterday evening and all I can say is that is the last time I will ever buy something from Dell again.

I got transferred a grand total of five times before I finally spoke to an engineer who could issue me a replacement. They seemed completely unable to grasp the fact it wasnt a PC I was calling about but a monitor and just kept asking for the service tag. Finally spoke to someone who agreed to replace it but it's really put me off dealing with them in the future.

Just keeping my fingers crossed now that the replacement is ok, I can live with a bit of backlight bleeding as long as I get no dead pixels and the s-video in works ok.

Was there no-one with any thoughts on the S-video issue then? I'm assuming it's just a fault at the moment but it doesnt give me a lot of confidence in the build quality. Thats a dodgy power lead, faulty s-video port, dead pixel and back backlight bleeding all on one model!!!
 
"kept asking for the service tag"

I think it's Tech Support humor. You get the same stonewall if you try to contact support via the Internet. I finally uncovered a valid email address and I got prompt service, but only after 3 hours of chasing my tail on Dell's website.
 
I actually have the same problem with my s-video port but it's only with my LD player. If you're also having problems with a VCR, then it's probably because the 2005fpw doesn't transfer an analog to digital signal very well. I know the port is otherwise fine, because I also use a ps2, and a gamecube on it both which come through very clear.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
I actually have the same problem with my s-video port but it's only with my LD player. If you're also having problems with a VCR, then it's probably because the 2005fpw doesn't transfer an analog to digital signal very well. I know the port is otherwise fine, because I also use a ps2, and a gamecube on it both which come through very clear.

Ah interesting, I think I have an s-video cable for my ps2 somewhere so I might try that to see if I get the same results.

Either way I guess if the replacement comes and its still doesnt work then I'm not going to be able to use it anyway :-(
 
I tried the s-video out from my laptop and as UnknownSouljer suggested it worked fine so maybe this monitor does have problems with s-video from non-digital sources.

The way its setup at the moment is through a scart connector that has an s-video connection on it. As the monitor doesnt seem to like this does anyone have any alternative ideas about how I could connect it to the monitor via s-video?
 
Back
Top