• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2005fpw vs fw900

Obi_Kwiet

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
3,858
Ok, my Dad wants my 2005fpw. He's either going to by me a fw 900 and take my 2005fpw, or buy a new fpw for himself. It's up to me. My desk is ~33 in long and ~48 in long. I like the space the flat panel gives me. I also like how the colors and sharpness of the LCD. ( Maybe I've just see crappy CRTs, but their colors usually seem really washed out and a bit off )
I also like how sharp my LCD is. I'm kinda worried about getting a bad fw900 too, how many bad ones have you guys gotten? I have an opportunity to trade my monitor for another one $450 or less. Advise?
 
What is it that you're really looking for in this monitor other than desk real estate? Color? Geometry? Mainly, what will you be needing this monitor for?
 
LCD. CRTs hurt my eyes now that I've been using LCDs for so long, and when I first switched it was such a treat.

Don't go back to the dark side
 
Obi_Kwiet said:
Gaming, internet.

You'll be good with the LCD. The CRT would be best if you were doing professional work, in my opinion.
 
my bro had the same decision. He chose the FW900 and he absolutely loves it. I have a 20" Apple cinema widescreen on the other hand, and i wouldnt trade it for the FW900 after seeing both. Thats just my 2 cents. The FW900 does look pretty bad arse, but after the clarity of an LCD any CRT hurts my eyes. your choicse, you should be happy with both. My brother would say FW900, i would say 20" 2005fpw. I know that doesnt help you much, but thats my experience.
 
Well, it's tricky because you seemed to like your LCD.

Personally, I find the topic kind of interesting since gaming plays right into the FW900's hands. People get all offended and stuff but no one really has much to counter the better blacks, flexibility of resolutions, high refresh rates, no input lag, fluid motion etc etc... the list practically never ends. The FW900 isn't even that much like the 21" trinitrons people seem to assume it's so readily comparable to. They sold trinitron marked monitors for what? 6,7, or 8 years? It's a poor assumption unless the 21" people want to compare it too is circa 2002. I have some older trinitrons that aren't even flat.

Skittzle will come and say I bag on LCDs alot. Well, I'll agree the 2405FPW looks a tad better than my FW900 image, it's a tad sharper, maybe if I wasn't sensitive to blur and so forth, it still be my display. LCDs are sharper, but unfortunately my games move. An lcd for me is still sharper... but only for photos. ;) Working with text and doing work, LCD is clearly the choice.

Two problems with the CRT, picture wise, two Aperture Grill lines and imperfect geometry in the corners. For an LCD well displays with Native res's are always sharper. Mixed blessing there as it is indeed sharper but you want to stick to it also. I'd put up with sticking to the native res for the sharpness if it could be maintained. For me it's moot becasue when it starts moving... we ain't in heaven any more. Other then the lines and geometry, if you got the space for it, the FW900 smokes for games.
 
^^he bags on LCDs way too much :D

Like he said though, it all depends on the person. I am perfectly content with my LCD and the xbox360 looks amazing on it. ;)

cheers pete
 
Yes I edit a lot, when you referred to my comment I made sure to put your part back in. I'm no chump.
:)

One of my edits, your reference didn't fit. It's back.
 
Heh... I'm sure you are loving the xbox on it. I only found the response time not quick enough for me when I got the thing right up in my face, like when I'm playing PC fps. I noticed just watching others play games on my 2405FPW, well even my stubborn ass self can't see it from a little bit away.
 
I would go with the FW900 if your main concern is gaming. Xbox360 looks amazing on my FW900 as well, but it also depends on the lighting in your room.. CRTs look a lot nicer in a darker room while LCD's can tolerate bright rooms much better.

Also the FW900 needs a good 25 minutes of warmup before looking optimal while an LCD warms up almost instantly (judging from my 2001FP).

Text will look nicer on an LCD but I've had no problems reading text using 1920x1200 desktop resolution either.

There are pluses & minuses for both displays but personaly i'd go w/ the FW900 for the smooth response time ,no input lag, superior black levels (2005fpw has noticeably worse black levels than a 2405FPW and even it cant compete w/ FW900's black levels) and of course resolution flexibility.
 
There is one major problem with the FW900. You roll the dice when you buy a refurb/used one. I have heard some horror stories. If you get one that has grey issues( wont produce a true black) then usually you are stuck with it. Most of these ebayers say "Warranty covers DOA" and that is about it. It just cost too much to send that thing back and forth.

If you can find one locally, then you could check it out. These monitors are 4-5 years old and some of them have been driven hard.
 
Depends what you like
The only thing I have against LCD's are the high res that the big ones use, makes the text to small to read.

If you play games not all may want to work right at your LCD screens res of choice

I like my FW900 But it's your home and you gotta look at the screen that you spent you or your Dads money on. So you should be happy with what you pick.
 
honestly, Whatever you choose i dont think you will regret. Flip a coin if you have to.
 
Back
Top