• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2005fpw vs. apple M9177LL

Sparrow_69

Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
776
I've read that these 2lcds use the same S-IPS panel. Why is it that dell rates the CR at 600:1 and Apple 400:1. I know that the CR specs are usually kinda sketchy, but Dell seems to be pretty good when reporting CR... A 200:1 difference is pretty big. I'm currently using a Samsung panel that has a 450:1 CR and i'm wondering if I'd seen an improvement with the new lcd with regards to CR. Also, are there any reported backlight bleeding problems with the Apple?
 
I owned a 2005FPW, and now own the Cinema display and there is no appreciable difference in brightness. In my opinion, the 2005FPW was too bright even at the lowest settings, while the Apple seems spot-on at about 50% brightness. It all depends on your environment.

As far as backlighting issues, I haven't seen any reported, and mine doesn't exhibit any bleeding. Uniformity is as close to perfect as manufacturers can currently get. The 2005FPW was returned due to serious bleeding in all four screen corners. In a word: unacceptable.

The anti-glare coating on the Apple is also somehwat less intrusive to viewing. The 2005FPWs can have a slight screen door effect depending on conditions and really ramps up eye strain.
 
Just like they say in the versus article, many people have issues with the 2005FPW -- Many don't. I am in the camp of people who have flawless models. No bleeding, no dead pixels, no nothing. Never had to return anything. Just ordered and got something good. Mine is not the first revision, however.

The contrast on both the apple and the 2005 is likely going to be very similar (except next to eachother), though the dell will likely be a lot brighter -- the backlight is quite a bit more of a draw. I don't mind the brightness and I like that I can turn it down when appropriate. The thing is, I'd hate not to be able to pump it up when I *do* want to have it extra bright, like on days when I have the sun going right into the room and want that extra oomph.

I think the prices on the Apple are a bit too high (though it might depend which country you're in) considering what we know about these two panels and the features involved. Once you compare these two models in their non-defective form, you gotta realize that the ACD is definately a purely aesthetic purchase -- no doubts about it -- and one that gives up quite a few features in the process (everything from the genesis scaling chip to PIP/PBP, various other source inputs, etc). It would be great if Apple could work in some of the features Dell offers, since it would almost make it worth the extra good looks.

Having said that..

Dell should get off their asses, remain competitive and revise the 2005FPW. I'd like to see the following changes:
a) a component input
b) fix weird scaling issues with HDTV/etc
c) firewire connectors
d) ability to PIP/PBP VGA+DVI together, instead of ( DVI+'other' ) or (VGA+'other')
e) ability to power off the LEDs for less distracting movie watching
f) smoother vertical adjustment (2005FPW owners will know what I'm talking about when I say *CLICK-DING* :D )
 
Back
Top