2005FPW Questions Regarding Xbox 360

LifeForce

n00b
I purchased a VGA cord for my Xbox 360 and I had a few questions about what I should be expecting because my experience has been a bit odd so far.

First off...is the 2005fpw even good for the 360? I have seen the Team Xbox review of it saying that it was great, but I havent found much else about it with the monitor. I have read the 2405 thread regarding the 360 but the monitors are of course a bit different.

Should I be sitting a certain distance from my monitor, because with my computer I have it right up on my desk where I sit, but for most 360 games like Kameo, PGR3 and especially PDZ, thing look really jaggy, and text isnt all that sharp. Lets not even talk about Halo 2 as it looks totally squished text wise.

Next, I don't even know if im doing right, from all i hear about how good the cord is, it just feels amiss.

My monitor's native res is 1680x1050 so not having that option forces me to use a lower resolution, ive been using the 768 option, because 720 looks washed out, and the higher ones seem slightly odd.

Ive noticed even on my PC that at resolutions lower than my native, things aren't as sharp and can get pretty fuzzy, I guess maybe thats how close i am, but i notice this especially with things in the distance.

I mean in all honesty, I have a 90's Sony tv that doesn't even have an S-video input and the games look better on there. Once again could this be in relation to distance? Ive heard LCDs more than CRTs can look quite gangly up close.

I always have to sit quite a bit back to watch dvds because they dont looks so good when I sit at my desk.

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated.

Dude I was thinking of getting a xbox 360 for my 2005FPW aswell although I dont have a clue how to connect it to my 2005FPW, microsoft has release a VGA with the AV Cable attached to it and S-Video output cable...But my 5.1 speakers use the normal Green, Black and Orange jacks (Ones with come on earphones)
I haven't found a single website that explains or have already connected the xbox 360 to a 2005FPW monitor and a speaker system and got good results.
Unless someone posts some pictures and explains how they did it I'm gonna hold on to buy a xbox 360 ;)

Well while I wait for someone to help me out, I could say a few things for you.

Check to see if your speaker system has an optical out (for use with a optical cable) because the VGA cord will let your connect it through that, at least thats how ive done it. I believe theres one other way, but I don't know it off hand.

The 2005fpw has a DVI and a VGA port, I use the DVI for my computer because my X850 supports it, so then I plug the 360 VGA into the VGA port. The DVI is white, the VGA is usually the blue port.

I'm sure I havn't got the right speakers...the make it Labtec Arena 675 M/N S-0105B which only accepts line-in inputs and the output which goes to the satellite speakers are the ones which the xbox 360 VGA Cable has for input...(Sounds a bit complicated it'd be better off if you made a google search for the type of speakers I have the you'll get what I'm trying to say)
Yeah my 2005FPW does have a VGA input but I was meaning to ask you if the resolution is any good...You could post some pictures can't you? :D

I guess I could, I don't know how representative it would be of what Im actually seeing in terms of distance and the like

I have a 360 and a 2005fpw, and I do use them together with the vga cable, I use the 1280x768 because like you said 720 looks crappy, I use the adapter for the sound to run it into the input on my mobo, then I have digital out from there to a decoder, this way I can listen to music on my comp during games, surf web while xbox live is looking for games.

I think it looks awesome although I did have to fiddle with settings for a long time becuase they colors were off at the begining.

Are you playing dvds from your computer or the 360? cause my 360's dvd playback is ass, it skips and just doesnt look good, I got a dvd player for free that works better than it.

I tried the 360 DVD player on my standard TV and it looked fine. But I watch DVDs on my PC.

How far away do you sit?

Munkle I dont think 2005FPW supports 1280x768...well if you did manage to hook up your 360 to it I would like to see a picture PLEASE!
And I dont get what's the big deal about them AV Cables attached to the VGA connector microsoft already know most people use in-line in-put jacks on their PC's then why the hell did they attach those AV cables,
and it they were going to include a computer monitor support they should have included all resolutions aswell...I mean...who the hell do they think we are? £700 for a new HD tele in my bedroom just to play games?(LOL)

Equinox4x said:
Munkle I dont think 2005FPW supports 1280x768...well if you did manage to hook up your 360 to it I would like to see a picture PLEASE!
And I dont get what's the big deal about them AV Cables attached to the VGA connector microsoft already know most people use in-line in-put jacks on their PC's then why the hell did they attach those AV cables,
and it they were going to include a computer monitor support they should have included all resolutions aswell...I mean...who the hell do they think we are? £700 for a new HD tele in my bedroom just to play games?(LOL)
the dell supports 1680x1050, 1280x768 certainly fails under that, oh and I put my monitor on aspect and not fill so it doesnt stretch things out.

I couldnt help but notice the thin black vertical line in those shots, is that a monitor defect? Anyhow the 360's VGA output is a bit washed out compared to other sources, I have the same symptoms on my PC CRT but was able to correct it by lowering the brightness and increasing contrast.

Yes its a defect. One Dell insisted I ignore. But Im getting more and more wary of this monitor, because the quality other people keep citing in regards to the vga cord and the monitor. I mean...sitting how I sit at my computer desk and playing the 360...it sure as heck isn't sharp....and things in the distance appear blurry. I have to sit a couple feet away for the gangly text and fuzzy image to sharpen up. I have to squint to see the so called "HD" image. The colors seem fine to me, as that camera isnt the best example.

I think I might replace the monitor. But I am extremely wary with monitors because what happens if I open up the replacement, and it has some other defect or a bunch of dead pixels?

I dont have any dead pixels at all and I dont notice any backlight bleeding. It just sorta has a purple hue about it when i look at it from a side angle.

I think Dell would let me replace it on the grounds that the screen is loose from the frame, i noticed it when i went to wipe it that the screen sorta pushes in on the left side from even lite touching. I figure I better act on that now before i get screwed after the warranty is up.

its looking better on my crap pile old TV :(

"I haven't found a single website that explains or have already connected the xbox 360 to a 2005FPW monitor and a speaker system and got good results."

Ill do it for you then.

My 2005FPW goes DVI into my x850 videocard on my PC
it also goes VGA via the Microsoft VGA cables to my 360
Resolution for PC is 1680 x 1050, 360 is 768
I have the Logitech Z-5500's, 5.1 amazing speakers that have Optical Digital Decoder
I bought a optical cable which plugs into my VGA cables so I can switch from optical (360) to digital (pc) in a second. All in all, I get surrond sound on both my 360 and PC and the picture looks great on both. Excellent set-up.

LifeForce said:
Yes its a defect. One Dell insisted I ignore. But Im getting more and more wary of this monitor, because the quality other people keep citing in regards to the vga cord and the monitor. I mean...sitting how I sit at my computer desk and playing the 360...it sure as heck isn't sharp....and things in the distance appear blurry. I have to sit a couple feet away for the gangly text and fuzzy image to sharpen up. I have to squint to see the so called "HD" image. The colors seem fine to me, as that camera isnt the best example.

I think I might replace the monitor. But I am extremely wary with monitors because what happens if I open up the replacement, and it has some other defect or a bunch of dead pixels?

I dont have any dead pixels at all and I dont notice any backlight bleeding. It just sorta has a purple hue about it when i look at it from a side angle.

I think Dell would let me replace it on the grounds that the screen is loose from the frame, i noticed it when i went to wipe it that the screen sorta pushes in on the left side from even lite touching. I figure I better act on that now before i get screwed after the warranty is up.

its looking better on my crap pile old TV :(
try putting your monitor on aspect mode instead of fill mode you will get 2 black bars on top and bottom but it doesnt stretch things out, cause i know 360 looks awesome on my monitor and something must be up with yours

Yea, I did. Looks the same really. PDZ looks the worst out of them all with all the surfaces readily avaliable to be full of jaggies and fuzzy backgrounds.

I use my 2005fpw with my PC and xbox360 and games look freaking sweet!

Alright for all you 2005FPW users. Do you guys sit faaaar back to play or up close?

I just replaced my monitor for seperate reasons other than this (wow, Dell did it in a day).

And I still notice it looks crummy sitting like about 2 feet away. It seems to be mainly things like text and the like.

LifeForce said:
Alright for all you 2005FPW users. Do you guys sit faaaar back to play or up close?

I just replaced my monitor for seperate reasons other than this (wow, Dell did it in a day).

And I still notice it looks crummy sitting like about 2 feet away. It seems to be mainly things like text and the like.
I sit close looks awesome just Xiro stated.

LifeForce said:

Perfect Dark Zero looks OK. You need to make sure you have the game's brightness setting set to "LCD". PDZ looks the best on that setting.

I have the 2005fpw hooked up to my Xbox using Monster video cables. I set the res to 1280x768. The monitor settings are aspect scaling mode, 20 brightness, 50 contrast. DOA4, PGR3, COD2 all look excellent.

Does Perfect Dark Zero tear on any of your screens?

It seems like it has a serious lack of vsynch

LifeForce said:
Does Perfect Dark Zero tear on any of your screens?

It seems like it has a serious lack of vsynch
i returned perfect dark, that game hurt my eyes, everything looks glossed over on it to me.

Back