• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2005FPW HD Input?

Avengeance

Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2004
Messages
773
I was wondering where the HD input is on the 2005fpw. I dont see a component set of plugs on it, so is it through the VGA port? I have a VGA to component plug, will this work?
 
Avengeance said:
I was wondering where the HD input is on the 2005fpw. I dont see a component set of plugs on it, so is it through the VGA port? I have a VGA to component plug, will this work?

No the 2005fpw does not have any component ports on it.
Yes the VGA is capeable of putting a HD signal through it, as is the DVi.
As for your last question that depends on the source. Most of the time a simple component cable cannot be directly inputed into a VGA port (even with an adapter, the signal is different). For this a transcoder is needed. I currently have a simliar setup.

PS2 (for instance) => Transoder => 2005fpw.
 
I thought that this monitor is capable of 720p... that means it has an HD tuner of sorts.
 
Avengeance said:
I thought that this monitor is capable of 720p... that means it has an HD tuner of sorts.

It is indeed capeable of 720p, but it does not have a tuner. A tuner would specifically be used to watch television. Although it is possible to do so on a 2005fpw, it would have to be through external means.
 
Well I had a different monitor before this one and it took HD over the DVI cable. It didnt need any transcoder or anything. I think if you had a transcoder you could change any HD signal and put it into any monitor. What im asking is can i take my VGA to component plug and plug my xbox into it and see it in HD.
 
Avengeance said:
Well I had a different monitor before this one and it took HD over the DVI cable. It didnt need any transcoder or anything. I think if you had a transcoder you could change any HD signal and put it into any monitor. What im asking is can i take my VGA to component plug and plug my xbox into it and see it in HD.

You could try it, but the answer is most likely no. If you're using the xbox anyway though you could use a vga cable instead of using component, and then not have to use a transcoder.

You just have to understand that VGA and YPrPb are different signals. If you're using vga in the first place you're fine. If you were using DVI, once again you're fine, but if you're trying to move YPrPb to vga then it won't work without a transcoder.
 
Avengeance said:
Why did it work on my last monitor then?

That was dvi not vga, or even more specifically component to vga.
But it sounds to me like you don't believe a word I'm saying. So if you don't believe it, simply buy the monitor and set it up. Because it should work right?
 
Well it just doesnt make sense that they would say that it can do 720p when you would have to use a transcoder cause then you could plug an HD input into any monitor. The DVI for sure will not do it on this monitor since its DVI-D. I just really dont understand why they would say it can do an HD input but you have to use a transcoder. Anyways, I guess I will have to try setting it up tomorrow and see if the VGA plug does do HD.
 
Who's 'they'? I checked Dell's product page and couldn't find any reference to HD support. Perhaps you were mislead by someone?
 
Avengeance said:
Well it just doesnt make sense that they would say that it can do 720p when you would have to use a transcoder cause then you could plug an HD input into any monitor. The DVI for sure will not do it on this monitor since its DVI-D. I just really dont understand why they would say it can do an HD input but you have to use a transcoder. Anyways, I guess I will have to try setting it up tomorrow and see if the VGA plug does do HD.
your under the assumption that hd is something that its not, HD is a resolution (and thats all it is, its the quality of the picture) the dell can do 1280 x 720 which is a resolution, its not some kind of hook up or special signal, HD is any resolution = 720p or greater. yes your xbox can do hd, but the signal and output hook ups are different.

its like this lets say you have a plasma screen capable of 1080p, and you have a 1800xt video card, well both are capable of hd content, but your plasma doesnt have any compatible hook ups for the video card unless you buy special cables (xbox vga cable, or a transcoder) to hook it up to your plasma, theres just no way for you to do it unless you buy the cable or transcoder to hook it up to the dell for HD (720p resolution) content.
 
Avengeance said:
Well it just doesnt make sense that they would say that it can do 720p when you would have to use a transcoder cause then you could plug an HD input into any monitor. The DVI for sure will not do it on this monitor since its DVI-D. I just really dont understand why they would say it can do an HD input but you have to use a transcoder. Anyways, I guess I will have to try setting it up tomorrow and see if the VGA plug does do HD.


Lets try doing our homework before telling people who are HELPING us that they are wrong, ok?

I have several "HD" setups in my house, including two 32" LCD Sony setups. I am quite experienced in workign with High Definition setups.

As previously stated, you are misunderstanding what "HD" is. Just because a monitor/television/LCD panel is "capable" of displaying high definition resolutions does not mean it comes with a built in tuner for television frequencies. When connected to a computer utilizing a video card, you can download content that will display that HD resolution, such as HD movie trailers from Quicktime.

If you were trying to use the Dell as an LCD HD television set, you would need an HD tuner box from Comcast or whoever your cable provider is. You could connect the monitor to this box using DVI-D cables and use it as an HD television but it would be limited to the "720p" standard.
 
Thank you for explaining it better. I did not mean to tell him he was wrong or anything, I was just very confused because I look at it as HD ready means the monitor can do HDTV resolutions, and I thought it wasnt HD ready so I thought it had a tuner built in. Sorry for ticking anyone off, I was just very confused. So this monitor can do 720p but not 1080i or p because it cant display that resolution? I am guessing if you switched to that resolution it would say its out of range? Thank you for the information and clarification.
 
Back
Top