• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2005FPW EXPERTS read, major firmware issues!

rcrez

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
209
Ok guys, I'm having a major problem with the 2005FPW controls that allow a user to switch between the four inputs: D-SUB (aka VGA), DVI-D, S-Video, Composite. As it stands, I have a laptop hooked up to the VGA, an HDTV tuner hooked up to the DVI-D, DVD player hooked up to the S-Video and VCR hooked up to the Composite.

The problem is that whenever (and I've tested this many times to confirm this) I switch the video input over multiple signals without letting each signal appear, I lose the signal on the last input that I choose. For example, if I decide to go from DVD-D to Composite by pressing the input button TWICE rapidly, the composite video input almost always not appear and a "Cannot display this mode" message will be seen instead. However, if I slowly go from DVI-D to S-Video, letting the image appear then go from S-Video to Composite video, it will work. The same goes for going from S-Video to say VGA or Composite to DVI-D rapidly. In short, if any transition is made without letting any intermediate transitions load, then the monitor will not display any video at all.

I also encounter a similar problem with using the PIP or PBP controls to swap the inputs. For example, if DVI-D is displayed on the main window and S-Video is displayed on the PIP window, and I choose swap, then I should see S-Video on the main window and DVI-D on the PIP window. However, whenever I use that feature or the PBP swap feature, I once again get a "Cannot display this mode" message, which usually occurs when you set the resolution way beyond its limits.

There is also another problem that I've encountered which is also very serious. Sometimes I won''t have a connection hooked up to VGA but I do have a connection in the other three inputs. In these situations, I might run across a case where I select the VGA input and the panel just freezes in the loading state. The loading state is period of time between when you've selected a particular input and when the image actually comes up. When the display is stuck in the loading state, there is no way to get out of it. It is impossible to select another input and shutting down/pulling the plug on the monitor only causes it to reboot into that same loading "stuck" state. The only solution that I've been able to come up with is to plug in a VGA source so the monitor can display the image, unlock the controls and allow the user to move on (such as switching to another input).

It is quite ridiculous that this 2005FPW monitor has so many firmware problems. It seems that whoever programmed didn't test all the input combinations and allowed various combinations to effectively crash the monitor. Has anyone hooked up their 2005FPW with all the inputs and tested to see if they can transition between all inputs rapidly?
 
Hey guys, I just got a replacement 2005FPW today and guess what. It has the exact same video mode switching problem as the other one!

Whenever you try to switch video input over multiple signals rapidly without letting each signal load, the last signal (and basically all other signals) will give up and display nothing. Then trying to recover requires a power cycle and a bit of luck.

Now can anybody who owns a 2005FPW and uses more than one video input comment on this!! I refuse to believe that I'm an idiot and own defective hardware twice in a row or am so incompetent that I can not hook up S-Video/Composite cables correctly.....

Anybody?
 
What did Dell say about this? From a QA standpoint, the problem would proably only occur for a small segmet of the market, and you've found a workaround to get it to work properly, so I wouldn't expect a fix for it anytime soon.
 
Back
Top