2005 Post Your Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.
t3mp said:
Posted these awhile ago, but lost my host. i haven't done any more work on the room, so it's recent enough :D

75100_0597.jpg

74100_0595.jpg

72100_0593.jpg

71100_0592.jpg
Damn, where did you get that desk?

AOM said:
I was wondering the same myself...what desk is that? Also if you don't mind telling me....how much did you give for your remote? Cheapest I can find it is $500+, I thought you might be able to link me if you found it cheaper. Thx :)

Happy Hopping-

The arm has a bracket for two displays. They have one for three also. I love there stuff.

Sent-

All my office stuff is Ikea; I think they are still selling it. It just happened to fit the room perfectly, it like a half an inch to the wall on the left side, just enough to fit some cables.

AOM-
The remote was like $600 at the time. I upgraded from the last model and sold my old one on Ebay for like $350 so was worth it to me. The screen is much better and the extra hard buttons work great for the TiVos. This is a great site for all kinds of info on the prontos. http://www.remotecentral.com

Morpherex said:
Damn, where did you get that desk?

Desk started out as Old Navy department shop signs. Covered on all sides by thick galvanized steel, and they are heavy as hell. Used these legs:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=62831&PRODID=62399

I wasn't planning on keyboard drawers at first, but the desk can get damn cold and I changed my mind fast. they are pine with silver contact paper on 150lb rails, sturdy enough for an X-Arcade with two kids beating on it.

there is also a game system area

73100_0594.jpg

Where you can see the bottom of my old ass window unit ;)

This was made with said signs, black iron plumming pipes, and a crap load of bolts. And yeah, it's on wheels.

Tanquen, did you build that desk and cabinet yourself? I like it the idea of a desk running almost all the way around the room - when and if I get myself into an apt. or house with an extra room.

Tanquen:

I have a few questions:

1) You have a concrete wall, for people who have dry wall, wouldn't that arm pull the dry wall off? I mean, the weight of that arm and 2 screens are quite heavy. How much weight does the arm say it can support?

2) How long is the screw that goes into the wall?

3) For those of us that have drywall, it is 2 x 4 behind it. So the "width" of that mount where the screws goes in can't be too wide, or else one part of those screws would screw into hollow space behind the dry wall.
How wide and how long is the mounting base? Can you take a picture directly facing that mount base (the part that screw to the wall)?

4) Did you buy some extra length DVi-DVI cable? The standard is only 6 ft.

5) At this picture:

Can you bend one of the screen 90 degree? i.e., can the 2 monitors form a "L" shape at the connection point?

So if your desk is small, you can see one screen in front of you, and another on your right hand side.

Like the rug. CM Stacker, unfinished wall, Studio RTA adjustatable (I have the walnut version :p)

ashmedai said:
Like the rug. CM Stacker, unfinished wall, Studio RTA adjustatable (I have the walnut version :p)

wall isnt unfinished, door wasnt put up yet, and its a jerker not some pos studio :p
and what rug.. lol the whole room is done in that color of carpet :\

Oops, the top is too thin and there's that rail under the front. Supports look the same, but no knobs for the adjustable height. So that's the infamous jerker, eh? Somehow I expected something more...well...I dunno, just something more. Is it like not completely assembled or is there some aspect the photo isn't showing well?

And I see exposed studs. :p

Stellar said:
Tanquen, did you build that desk and cabinet yourself? I like it the idea of a desk running almost all the way around the room - when and if I get myself into an apt. or house with an extra room.
im fairly sure the desks are from the ikea galant series.

Stellar said:

It's all the IKEA Effektiv-T line and I think they still make it. I'm working at a new water filtration plant in Novato and they got all this same stuff in the control room. The assembly guide even said Effektiv-T. It did have different hardware under the tables though. I like the older style that my tables have. It has one large square iron tube across the underside. Notice the picture of the two L shaped tables, there are no legs in the middle. I think it looks great.

Dudeyourlame said:
oooh nice monitors.. who are the girls on the desktops?

On the left is Evangeline Lilly from the TV show LOST and the one on the right is Keira Knightley from the movies.

Happy Hopping said:
Tanquen:

I have a few questions:

1) You have a concrete wall, for people who have dry wall, wouldn't that arm pull the dry wall off? I mean, the weight of that arm and 2 screens are quite heavy. How much weight does the arm say it can support?

2) How long is the screw that goes into the wall?

3) For those of us that have drywall, it is 2 x 4 behind it. So the "width" of that mount where the screws goes in can't be too wide, or else one part of those screws would screw into hollow space behind the dry wall.
How wide and how long is the mounting base? Can you take a picture directly facing that mount base (the part that screw to the wall)?

4) Did you buy some extra length DVi-DVI cable? The standard is only 6 ft.

5) At this picture:

Can you bend one of the screen 90 degree? i.e., can the 2 monitors form a "L" shape at the connection point?

So if your desk is small, you can see one screen in front of you, and another on your right hand side.

1) No, I do not have a concrete wall. It is an older house with real 2x4s or ruff cut 2x4 or what the heck ever they are, they are a bit bigger then the smaller balsa wood like 2x4s in newer construction. On top of that is ¾” drywall and on top of that is at least ¾ of an inch of a stucco type material with fine gravel mixed in. I don’t know much about it but it is strong. The bracket has six holes in it. I lined the holes on the right side with the center of a stud and drilled pilot holes for three of the biggest 4-1/2” lag bolts that fit the holes of the bracket. They are baring most of the load I’m sure. The other side has three of the biggest toggle bolts I could find. If you look close at picture seven, you can see that the heads are different.

“Toggles are massively strong. A "puny" 1/8" toggle can safely hold 50 lbs on 1/2" drywall... a 3/8" toggle over 100 lbs! Two or three 3/8" toggles can easily hold up most kitchen cabinets on solid 1/2" drywall.”

2) I forget the diameter but they where 4-1/2” in length.

3) Yes, I would feel better if the bracket was wide enough to hit two studs 16” on center but what can you do? The bracket has six holes that are only 5” apart horizontally and 7” vertically. Two close together at the top edge and one at the bottom.

4) Yes, found some nice 15’ DVI and power cables at Pacific Custom cable. They where $57 each for the DVI but they have a right angle on one end and ferrites on both ends. Most places wanted much more with out ferrites just because the intended market is home theater folks. I guess the picture and sound is just not as good unless the cables cost a few grand. Don’t even get me started on the guys that say different fiber cables between there CD and receiver give then better fuller sound. Yes, my digitally identical sound files copied from my CD-Rom have a much brighter sound stage now that all my hard drive and CD-Rom I/O cables are dipped in gold and cost $300 each.

5) You can turn them to face each other a bit more than I have but not 90°. Again in picture seven you can see the large bowed part that the HD pivots mount to. Those can turn each display until the edge of each one hits the bowed part. I think it might give you a 45° angle or so. I have the 24” display straight on with the 20” turned just a bit so it looks straight on when I turn to look at it.

I hope this info helps. If you really need it I can take the other pictures that you asked for but I'm done with pics for now. Ergotron has a lot of info on there site and you can call them for more info.

thanks for your reply, i don't need any pic. any more. ergotron, or anyone else have arm that fits 3 x 30" ergo has one stand that fits 3 x 20", but not 30". I don't think they even have a stand or an arm that fits 3 x 24".

And I can't find other brand name in yahoo search that supports 3x 30" neither.

Dammm all you ppl that got in on the whirlpool 24" dell lcd group buy!!!!! i wanted 4 of them :D but settled for a 30 and a few 20's in the end :)

Well .... i thought best to do this like a history... a worklog of desktop evolution.
Don't laff @ the early setup....we all start somewhere yas know!

It starts here with a very old 23" customed bezeled mac g4 mon and its "side kik" ....

DSC02562.jpg

DSC02564.jpg

I then started to see the awsome potential of Quad mon setups, and the "side kiks" trippled and a new main screen was added for better response times!

8ECV4154.jpg

you can see bubs old setup before hevey plex slb here :p

8ECV4119.jpg

I then decided to go all out, using cheepie DV 17"ers i managed a 5 mon setup.... this didn't last long but was fun while it did.

One.jpg

After a while i started to notice how sexy the new apple G5 mons were looking! and with half decent repsonse times, it was time to upgrade again!

and back to a duel mon setup.

DSCF0773.jpg

Finally the new 30"ers hit our shores! i i just knew i had to have one of these awsome beuties!!

what a way to compliment my just new completed HPresII project!

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

ive since traded the 2 x 20"s and gone for a 23" the closer res's makes it a lot easier on the eyes.......

IMG_1379.jpg

Like the intro says!!!! the way its meant to be played! :D

IMG_1392.jpg

The desktop has kinda gone full circle....... form a dual mon setup, to the extreme of a 5 mon setup only to come back to a duel setup again....but the journey was a lot of fun !

Well there yas have it..... a mod? a work in progress? god help me if apple release a 40!!!!

hey Defyant, dont u need a special nvidia 6800 to use the 30" mac screen thou? i bet that cost a fortune too?

chronic9 said:
hey Defyant, dont u need a special nvidia 6800 to use the 30" mac screen thou? i bet that cost a fortune too?

looks like he cant keep a monitor for a single week :rolleyes:

chronic9 said:

yer sure do! i was a big follower and poster over in the 30" ASD thread you guys got here!

in the end just as i was about to go and pay thru the nose for a 2k card i managed to get one from an online auction for less than 1/2 price. FX3400 with the water it overclocks almost as good as an ultra, running DET drivers picks the points up a bit too.

Dudeyourlame said:
looks like he cant keep a monitor for a single week :rolleyes:

you can roll your eyes,..... this has been over almost 4 yrs......it makes me happy...i can afford it, so whats the prob? ...if they had made 30" LCDs 4 yrs ago i prolly would have just brought it back then and been done with it.

but then again so would have thousands and thousands of other ppl.

Knuckles5 said:
I have that same keyboard ;) . $6 on newegg and pretty nice :p
is that a chieftec keyboard? it looks like the one i used to have.. never worked at all.

Defyant said:
The desktop has kinda gone full circle....... form a dual mon setup, to the extreme of a 5 mon setup only to come back to a duel setup again....but the journey was a lot of fun !
How much was the journey??

hpim03294av.jpg

note that every car on the wall is related to ford, besides for my horendous drawing of the nissan :p

hpim03309bp.jpg

hpim03318aa.jpg

^ my headphone hanger/ ' curtain' / ' multi-use bike ' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back